Found A Stamper Cache???

Lostby7

I too found one thru letterboxing.org. The owner has contacted me and asked if I would adopt the it. They moved away from Oklahoma and now lives in Pennyslvannia. Of course, I was more then happy to adopt it. I am now in the process of incorporating it withing the geocaching realm and we call it a letterbox hybrid.

Cool Breeze,

If you do combine the letterbox as a geocache, please be sure to add specific instructions regarding the rubber stamp. Most letterboxes contain hand-carved stamps (which is much harder than it looks!) which are unique to that box and usually pretty detailed. Letterboxers tend to be wary of geocachers because geocachers remove things from their box. You wouldn't want some geocahcer who is unaware of the letterboxing rules to remove your unique handcarved stamp as a geocaching memento! Many letterboxing stamps seem to come up missing (by accident I know) simply because they are located too close to a geocaching area. If you are going to combine the box, or list it on teh geocache site, please be sure to indicate that the stamp is supposed to stay with the box as it's "signature."

Happy hunting!

Redd

You wouldn't want some geocahcer who is unaware of the letterboxing rules to remove your unique handcarved stamp as a geocaching memento!

I've seen several pleas from letterboxers in the GC.COM forums looking to get their stamp back from a clueless geocacher. Reddgroom's advice is good advice.

My first instinct as a cacher was to see what was in the box to trade, but having looked at the log it was apparent to me that this was not a geocache. I'm going to go find the other two that are hidden in this park; it's a nice diversion from caching.

Letterboxing can be pretty cool, and I always with the cost of gas now :huh: , look up to see if there are any in an area that I may be caaching in. The state of Connecticut has a cool program :P for visiting all the state forests, which after 5 finds and stamp ins will send you a patch, and after alll 30 will send you a walking stick. The stick isn't anything special but with a little work can be. I woodburned a picture of each of the stamps that they used in their boxes, plus the state outline with my name in it and a little picture of me. So not only did I find all of these I went to parts of the state that I probably wouldn't have hurried too. Think I'm going to order the geocaching staff emblem to put on it to altho I could just woodburn that on too! Its all a good thing as it all gets us outside and hiking around. ;)

Many letterboxing stamps seem to come up missing (by accident I know) simply because they are located too close to a geocaching area.

Forgive me for having to ask this, but exactly what is a "geocaching area"? I didn't know there were specific areas for letterboxing and different areas for geocaching? Isn't it safe to say that these things happen (and will continue to happen) due to the inherent "random" nature of the games?

It's kinda like Briansnat said earlier in this thread ...

> Geocachers and LetterBox players search out areas that are remarkably similar, so it is not suprising that every now and then, a Geocacher will find a LetterBox, and vice versa. <

Actually, I think in some areas, there are combined caches that service both the Geocaching crowd as well as the LetterBox devotees. The LetterBox website is not as well put together as this one is, but they are trying. In fact, I've gone so far as to obtain a logbook to keep a copy of the letterboxes I find - another good reason to get into the great outdoors and keep active.

Good job finding a mystery box, I hope you signed the log.

I had no stamp to stamp the log with so I just set it back into place. I'm curious to find the rest of this particular series though now. :laughing:

The one time I found a letterbox hybrid cache, I just left my fingerprint!

Since then I've acquired my little "sTeamTrain" clipper (it cuts half-inch-long locomotives out of the log book), but maybe I should get a stamp too.