Gps Computer Cable

voogadah

New to this game, I recently purchased a Garmin GPS MAP76S with a computer cable. I also purchased the book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. Following the directions in the book, I went to easygps.com, downloaded waypoints into an .loc file using topographix. Now when I plug my unit into the computer and try to download my waypoints, a message comes up saying it can't open com port 1. I'm using a Dell 2400 with Windows XP, which has only one place to plug this in. I tried using a USB converter, but get the same message. Computer says the port is fine, ready and waiting, but easy gps says it's the computer. I'm frustrated and need help.

Any suggestions?

I do not know much about the program "topographix", but what I would suggest is going to www.gsak.net and grabbing that application. My Garmin 60CS goes through this application and will connect either via serial or USB with no problem. If your OS is saying the port is fine then it should be. That leaves you with either the application your using being buggy or your GPSr not actually having a problem. :(

If you have any PDA (with ActiveSync or HotSync), make sure it is not selected to look on COM1 for connection. If it is, you will need to stop the program or it will tie up COM1 (even if the PDA is not connected, since it will constantly look for the PDA).

Also, if you are using a serial-to-USB adapter, the driver will create a virtual COM port. This port will not be COM1. You will need to go into CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER and then scroll down to PORTS. See what port it has assigned to the adapter and use that port.

I went to gsak.net and downloaded that application. I saved a waypoint in .loc format, chose com port 1 in GPS setup, still get the error message. Changed to com port 3, same thing. Switched to USB and still get error message. I do have the GPS unit turned on (though GPS turned off since it doesn't get reception from indoors). What is it I'm doing wrong?

Its quite possible your lap top or desk top machine can not "find" correct COM port!...

Suggest you delve into what COM ports or USB/adapter ports your "systems" have available or are configured for....

Major problem is usually identifying what COM port number the USB/RS-232 (serial) adapter was assigned by WINDOWS system. This can be verified in the "control panel" under "system" under "hardware" under "device manager". Scroll down to “ports” and it will tell you the port number and at what speed (baud) port is configured at. This info is necessary to get EasyGPS and GSAK and “other” programs to communicate with GPS unit. Yes you do need to set baud rate on GPS to match computer COM port which may be set with whatever software computer is running.

This information is also valid for a standard "serial port" on any lap top or desk top system.,

Most software applications and hardware (modems) like to work with COM 1 ... Also if you have any "synchronize” software running for a Palm or other hand held, it grabs COM 1 and will not let any other applications use it. You may need to disable any synchronization software it you have it as a running application to release COM 1 if you have to use that specific COM port.

Also Look for some answers under the GPS & SOFTWARE forum.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

Dale

By any chance does the 76 have NEMA settings? My magellan had to be changed to communicate with the computer when using the DeLorme software TOPO5. Something like XX2.1. There were some other letters where the show the XX. I have to change back to "NONE" to let the GPS talk to the computer when I am loading stufff from GSAK.

Hope this helps!!

Muddler

By any chance does the 76 have NEMA settings?  My magellan had to be changed to communicate with the computer when using the DeLorme software TOPO5.  Something like XX2.1.  There were some other letters where the show the XX.  I have to change back to "NONE" to let the GPS talk to the computer when I am loading stufff from GSAK.

Hope this helps!!

Muddler

good shot - you beat me to that one - you need to have it set to normal or garmin and you need to make sure that you have the program set properly also. For garmin in GSAC that is automatic. Make sure that you have it set for USB if you use the usb cable and vice versa.

I know that you likely have done all this but we gotta go through the steps.

What kind of computer are you using? Desktop? Lapt top?

Are you using a REAL serial port or a USB serial adapter?

The garmin software has a find device function - what does that tell you?

This should generally be a fairly simple exercise -

What version of Windows are you using?

Hmmmm.... check your device manager to be sure you HAVE a serial port. It is possible that you need to enable it in the BIOS settings.

If that checks out make sure that you don't have something running that is attached to the serial port (you already nixed the pda sync) like maybe hyperterminal or some such.

With the brain power we have here in the forums we ought to be able to get you going with this.

---

added - in the setup for interface make sure it says normal -

Edited by CompuCash

My GPS MAP76S came with no software for me to load. I am using a desktop Dell 2400 with Windows XP and the real serial port (I've also used the serail to USB port, changing the settings in GSAK, but still got the error message). I do have a serial port in device manager (serial port 1), but have no idea if/how I may need to enable it (I've had the computer for over a year, so I don't know if it was enabled when my husband set it up or if it was enabled from Dell when we bought it). I've never used the serial port, and never used a PDA or any other device on it. My son has used a digital camera on the USB port with no trouble, though we have since deleted that program when he got a different camera.

"The garmin software has a find device function - what does that tell you?"

How would I find the device function? I've visited every tab on my unit (while going over it with the owner's manual), and this isn't familiar. I've also e-mailed Garmin, but don't expect to hear until after the holiday (if at all). Thanks for your help, every bit is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure with your help I'll get this thing going.

I tried that already, they are both the same as what came with the unit. There are neither directions in the owner's manual, nor the quick start guide on how to set up the unit with the computer. The owner's manual says the cable is optional, even though it came with the unit I ordered. So no directions.

ok - sounds like you have a pretty standard setup - if you see the serial port in the device manager you should be in good shape there.

Did you not get a CD with your GPS?

I got a CD with Drivers and Trip and Waypoint Mgr on it. I am not familiar with what is supposed to come with the 76. Within T/W Mgr is function that searches the ports for a GPS. That would tell you what port it thought the GPS was on if it could find it. I installed Mapsource and that merged with the Mgr. but the functions are all still there. This function is not in the GPS - it is in the computer software.

Ah... Just checked - the 76 does not come with the software mentioned.

Your 'real' serial port is COM 1 - your modem is likely COM 2 -

something to keep in mind is that when you use your GSB to Serial adapter your serial port will be different. Mine is Com 5. This varies with the USB port I use.

So, you might try setting up with the USB adaper then sequencing through ports 3 - 6 (how many TOTAL USB ports do you have?) most systems have either 2 or 4.

AH! When you open the SETUP GPS dialog GPS Menu - Setup - look at the dropdown list - it will show you the available ports - Mine are 1, 3, 5 right now. Take the highest one and set it there.

cc

When you deleted the Camera software did you just delete the program from the hard drive or did you use the Add Remove Wizard? If the com port can not be opened it is most likely being used by another device/program. If you did not use the Add Remove Wizard go back and reload the old camera software and then use the Wizard to remove it. Does the new camera software use the com port to download pics? A test you can make is to use Hyperterminal (goto start, select programs, accessories, communications) to try to dial out. Are you using a modem to access the internet? Is it using your Com port? I you have Broadband, as a test, if you have a modem installed in your computer, you can hook a phone line up and use Hyperterminel to dial your cell phone or any phone. If the computer dials the modem (hyperterminal usually uses Com1) then the Com Port that HT is using is working. At least HT is able to access it. If you get the same error you probably have a program that is using (attached to) Com1. This would prevent any other program from using the port. I am making alot of assumptions in your abilities and computer savy so if your are confused feel free to ask questions I'll help if I can.

Let us know what you find and we'll proceed form here.

Cheers

Muddler

Sounds like ComuCash has some hands on advise you should try first. Go with that let us know if we can help.

Cheers

Muddler

thanks - your thoughts were my next shot - using HyperTerminal

My experience is that HT won't even start if COM1 is already used.

Will give you that Can't Open error.

I'd like to see you work with your USB adapter first to see if you can find the port it sets up with and use that from GSAK.

But please check the setting in your GPS as mentioned.

Edit: Funny, both the 76 CS, and the 76C have the USB port...but the 76S appears not to...

looks like I gotta download the 76 manual - they ALL gotta be the same.

Very strange - can't find a reference to USB in the manual either.

I am taking the orignal OP's word for the use of the serial port -

hmmmm....

cc

Edited by CompuCash
Edit: Funny, both the 76 CS, and the 76C have the USB port...but the 76S appears not to...

don't know about the others but you seem to be righta bout the S model.

strange.

And OP is correct - there is NOTHING in the manual about connecting to a computer.

NOT good Garmin -

cc

ok here we go -

got to page 48 - set for normal as shown

go to page 54 in your manual - SETUP - INTERFACE set it for GARMIN -

according to appendic B you have a serial connection and in the accessories it shows only a serial cable to connect to the computer.

My 60 has both.

so we are definitly dealing with a serial unit here. So much for a USB connection - will, I was hoping.

cc

I'd like to see you work with your USB adapter first to see if you can find the port it sets up with and use that from GSAK.

Not true.. Hyperterm wil start anytime as com ports can be user assigned.

Dale

Not true.. Hyperterm wil start anytime as com ports can be user assigned.

Dale

I can't prove it here --

but at work - when our program has the port HT won't start - throws the can't open port error. Using both XP and Win2K.

but won't argue with your experience either - Windows is just weird.

cc

If your HT PROFILE (file) is configured to use COM1 and COM1 is already in use by "something else" yes it will error... IF COM 1 is free yes HT will work...

HT can be configured to use any one of the "available" ports... Mine says COM 3 , AVAYA modem and TCP/IP ports are available when I want to build a "COM profile" (file).

While just experimenting with USB/RS-232 adapter and a "loop back" plug in adapter, HT says COM 6 is the USB/RS-232 port number. This may also vary depending on where the are multiple USB hubs installed in the computer.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Okay, when I go to the set-up on my unit, then in "interface", I have one window: Serial Data Format. I already had it set to Garmin. Here is the menu I can choose from:

Garmin

Garmin DGPS

NMEA

Text out

RTCM in

RTCM in/MNEA out

RTCM in/text out

none

The old camera used a USB port. I purchased a serial to USB cable from Radio Shack which came with software, which I downloaded, only to find the computer won't accept it (not okayed by Windows, apparently). I'll see if my husband can load it and if not, someone should be smacked since I spent $42.00 for the cable.

I will try HyperTerminal next. If this doesn't work, how do I find if my com port 1 is being used by something else? I've looked in Device Manager and under com port. What am I looking for? Under device status it says, "This device is working properly." In the Driver section it says Driver is by Microsoft, and gives the date and the version. I've tried updating it, but I get the message it is the current version. Under Details it has a drop down window that defaults to Device Instance Id. Perhaps there is something here I'm supposed to change? Thanks for your help.

I assume you got a dialog that said something to the effect that the drivers for the USB-serial adapter haven't been certified by Microsoft. Just ignore that, it means nothing, just go ahead and install the drivers. The installation instructions should have told you that. But if you have a real serial port, that's what you should be using, not a USB-serial adapter. That's only for computers that have no serial port.

The "can't open com 1" message is a generic one, and can be caused by many things. The first thing to check is the serial cable connections. Make sure the connection at both the GPS and the computer are solid and correct. I get this message every now and then with my Legend, because the connection at the GPS isn't made, even though it looks and feels like it is. Detaching and reattaching the cable helps in this case. It's also possible that you have a defective cable. If you can find something that uses a serial connection, try attaching that to the serial port. A serial mouse should do it, and you might have one of those lying around. If it works on the serial port and the GPS doesn't, then suspect the GPS cable. I would check the cable using an ohmmeter, but I doubt if you have one available. Radio Shack sells them, but you may not want to spend the money for a one-time use. The RS sales idiot might be able to check the cable for you, if (s)he knows how and is willing. If not, start patronizing another RS store.

Windows is flaky about handling ports and peripherals, and sometimes it just loses itself. It's not really a robust operating system, but Bill Gates is an absolutely superb salesman, so that's what most people have. Just keep plugging away at it, and eventually it should work, as long as the hardware isn't defective.

I doubt your system will not load USB adapter drivers.... If XP says it not on approved list (whatever) just force the install anyway....

When you get to device manager, you want to open the "ports" heading and look for a "COM" port. Usually something like "COM X" where "X' is the number... Should be a number between 1 and 8. COM X should appear or dosappear ad usb adapter is plug in or un pluuged. USB/Serial adapter will NOT register as a COM port unless the GPS unit is plugged in OR you have a "loop back" test plug on serial connector on USB/SERIAL adapter.

I have to wonder if there may be basically a fault with whole process, like are you sure data cable is good?...

If you attempt the Hyper Terminal route, you need to configure a communications profile with same parameters as GPS has in its configuration. I doubt you will communicate with GPS through Hyper Terminal because there is a software configuration the GPS unit expects (protocol) that HT will not be able to satisfy. Best you can prove is that you can setup a full path to GPS unit.

Dale

I recently purchased a Garmin GPS MAP76S with a computer cable. I also purchased the book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. Following the directions in the book, I went to easygps.com, downloaded waypoints into an .loc file using topographix. Now when I plug my unit into the computer and try to download my waypoints, a message comes up saying it can't open com port 1.

Aaahhh..... Why is TOPOGRAPHICS in the equation.....

Process is to download LOC file from WEBSITE, load LOC file into EASYGSP, connect GPS unit up to computer and have EASYGPS upload files to GSP unit...

Unless Topographics is a propriety program that GPS unit has to communicate through, I' not sure why you have it in the setup.

Dale

HyperTerminal didn't work, so I next tried Start, then connect to, then show all connections, then create new connection, then connect to another computer. From there I set com port 1 (I had a heck of a time trying to find where you set up com ports) to connect to another computer. This is working, now I can download the waypoints from both easygps and GSAK. Thanks so much for your help! Mr. Gates did not make it easy!

HyperTerminal didn't work, so I next tried Start, then connect to, then show all connections, then create new connection, then connect to another computer. From there I set com port 1 (I had a heck of a time trying to find where you set up com ports) to connect to another computer. This is working, now I can download the waypoints from both easygps and GSAK. Thanks so much for your help! Mr. Gates did not make it easy!

I don't quite understand what you did - but you can't argue with success -

sure am glad it is now working.

cc

HyperTerminal didn't work, so I next tried Start, then connect to, then show all connections, then create new connection, then connect to another computer.  From there I set com port 1 (I had a heck of a time trying to find where you set up com ports) to connect to another computer.  This is working, now I can download the waypoints from both easygps and GSAK.  Thanks so much for your help!  Mr. Gates did not make it easy!

Your solution does not even seem to fit the problems you described that you are having ... Something is really odd here....

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn
HyperTerminal didn't work, so I next tried Start, then connect to, then show all connections, then create new connection, then connect to another computer.  From there I set com port 1 (I had a heck of a time trying to find where you set up com ports) to connect to another computer.  This is working, now I can download the waypoints from both easygps and GSAK.  Thanks so much for your help!  Mr. Gates did not make it easy!

Your solution does not even seem to fit the problems you described that you are having ... Something is really odd here....

Dael

thanks -

I thought so to but didn't push it because it is working and that is the main thing.

looks like she created a new modem connection (??).

I asked before - what is Topographics - didn't get an answer - can someone explain?

cc

Edited by CompuCash
A DUH moment....:blink:

"Topographics" is parent company/product family for EasyGPS...

Dale

ok, nice to know - but she was supposedly using GSAK not EasyGPS --

more like a HUH? moment.

maybe she got lost in what program she was using, but it sure makes troubleshooting hard.

cc

You have to go back to my first inquiry where I stated I was using easygps. One of the suggested solutions was to switch to GSAK, which I did. I decided to think like a 12 year old boy and just press every button until something worked (at least I think that's why my 12 year old is better at this than I am!). Since it became increasingly obvious something was wrong with the com port and I could find no way to to find out what may have been connected to it (if anything), I went into "connections" then opened com port 1 to use as computer-to-computer connection. It is working, so that must have been the missing link. It really would've helped if Garmin sent some directions with the cable and how to set up the port, but I learned something new. What a ride! Thanks so much.

You have to go back to my first inquiry where I stated I was using easygps.  One of the suggested solutions was to switch to GSAK, which I did.  I decided to think like a 12 year old boy and just press every button until something worked (at least I think that's why my 12 year old is better at this than I am!).  Since it became increasingly obvious something was wrong with the com port and I could find no way to to find out what may have been connected to it (if anything), I went into "connections" then opened com port 1 to use as computer-to-computer connection.  It is working, so that must have been the missing link.  It really would've helped if Garmin sent some directions with the cable and how to set up the port, but I learned something new.  What a ride!  Thanks so much.

I am more curious as to what you did when you opened "connections" as it is not familiar to me ( do you mean "network connections") and what you did to establish a "computer to computer" connection.... You method seems "new" to me and the way I work with establishing a connection to a "device"...

Seems the old dog here needs to learn a new trick...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn
76S, I guess that's a serial connection. If you have a Palm with HotSync running on your desktop, stop HotSync.  Sometimes I find if I can't get the serial connection working, I reboot, then immediately stop HotSync.

Man, this is a wealth of knowledge. I am a computer guy (self imposed) and I forgot about the conflicts with HotSync on other items.

They do not play well together. (sometimes)

I dusted off my Garmin V after a accquaintence told me about GeoCache.com-

Spent all day Easter hunting with the kids and wife- what an awsome day..

Anyhow, went to hook up Garmin V to new Toshiba Tablet PC- would not read Serial Port 4-

Thanks guys.

:rolleyes: Uploading waypoints as we typ. all fixed, no more manual entering WP for hunting. Also upgraded to a full membership at Gekocache.com.

:-)

Team sands6111

David

You have to go back to my first inquiry where I stated I was using easygps.  One of the suggested solutions was to switch to GSAK, which I did.  I decided to think like a 12 year old boy and just press every button until something worked (at least I think that's why my 12 year old is better at this than I am!).  Since it became increasingly obvious something was wrong with the com port and I could find no way to to find out what may have been connected to it (if anything), I went into "connections" then opened com port 1 to use as computer-to-computer connection.  It is working, so that must have been the missing link.  It really would've helped if Garmin sent some directions with the cable and how to set up the port, but I learned something new.  What a ride!  Thanks so much.

I am more curious as to what you did when you opened "connections" as it is not familiar to me ( do you mean "network connections") and what you did to establish a "computer to computer" connection.... You method seems "new" to me and the way I work with establishing a connection to a "device"...

Seems the old dog here needs to learn a new trick...

Dale

I was wondering if she may have meant a connection within hyperterminal???

cc

Edited by CompuCash

I see what she did, but I'm at a loss to explain why it helped. I did the same thing just now, establishing a new network connection using the serial port, but it was a little more complicated for me, because I had to us a USB-serial adapter, since I have no serial port on my laptop. (Royal PITA). It's not hard to set up a new network connection, but the serial port should work even without doing this. And I see no way to specify a GPS as the connection, although it might show up if it were connected when setting up the connection.

"I see what she did, but I'm at a loss to explain why it helped. I did the same thing just now, establishing a new network connection using the serial port, but it was a little more complicated for me, because I had to us a USB-serial adapter, since I have no serial port on my laptop. (Royal PITA). It's not hard to set up a new network connection, but the serial port should work even without doing this. And I see no way to specify a GPS as the connection, although it might show up if it were connected when setting up the connection."

I agree I should not need to set up a new network connection. Does anyone else have a MAP76S with a cable? And if so, how did you set up the serial port? Since it comes with no software, I assumed you just plugged it in. I'm not happy not knowing how or why serial port 1 was not working. I had a hard enough time trying to find serial port 1 (or com port, as it is in the computer), even when I tried troubleshooting, the computer couldn't answer any questions. How would you set up a PDA? Do they come with software you have to load so you can use the com port? Why is there so little information on the com ports, are they top secret or something? I still would like to smack someone....

You do bring up a good question, voogadah -

<irony on>

But, since you did not get software, there is no need to offer info. If you had gotten software along with it you would have gotten instructions. </irony off>

BUT! you did get purchase the cable (or did it come with it) so you'd think they'd tell you how to use it -- geezzz...

Actually, I got the 60cs and there is little info with that too - guess I'm lucky I'm a techy. Actually do tech support with computer systems so it comes naturally here in the forums.

Just glad it works for you now - tho your solution really escapes me - guess I gotta go play with that as it is just plain weird and foreign to me. Hey who's to argue with success?

cc

voogadah

next time you want to quote someone you can click the quote button on the right top of that posting or copy the text, click the quote button just above the typing window, paste the text, then click the post button again.

should look like this when you finish

cc

I see what she did, but I'm at a loss to explain why it helped. I did the same thing just now, establishing a new network connection using the serial port, but it was a little more complicated for me, because I had to us a USB-serial adapter, since I have no serial port on my laptop. (Royal PITA). It's not hard to set up a new network connection, but the serial port should work even without doing this. And I see no way to specify a GPS as the connection, although it might show up if it were connected when setting up the connection.

after going through the exercise, it looks as though using the New Connection Wizard, might do the necessary COM1 setup within Windows (that might not have been done before - or that device centric sofware might do) and then allows one to use serial devices on that port. Very strange and not logical to an experienced Windows Tech, but she may have stumbled on something that might be helpful for others when nothing else works to get them connected to their GPS.

I didn't do the final Finish as I was afraid that doing so might screw up the good action I already have. Never can tell with Windows.

anyone out there know why this works - or why it made it work when the GPS connection would not work previously?

cc\

Thanks, CC, for your help on adding quotes. I'm still new at this and still learning how to do things. It's great to be able to talk to techies like you, this is all pretty foreign to me. I have a 12 (almost 13) year old son who is better at all this than I am, but the GPS unit is MINE, I ordered it for my birthday (from my husband) and until I'm ready to share, it's up to me to get it working :laughing:

I still want to know why the cable didn't work, how do you set up a com port, etc. Explain it to me as if I know nothing (since that's pretty close to accurate!).

Voogadah (the closest translation is, "It's all nonsense.")

It could be one of those things that Muckysoft XP does....

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I brought home a new computer with XP installed, plugged it all in and connected network connection (to router) and turned it on and it found network connection and loaded everything it needed to connect to Internet and in minutes I was on line.... Not one bit of struggle to load needed protocols and IP addresses and whatever.

Dale

Thanks, CC, for your help on adding quotes. I'm still new at this and still learning how to do things. It's great to be able to talk to techies like you, this is all pretty foreign to me. I have a 12 (almost 13) year old son who is better at all this than I am, but the GPS unit is MINE, I ordered it for my birthday (from my husband) and until I'm ready to share, it's up to me to get it working :ph34r:

I still want to know why the cable didn't work, how do you set up a com port, etc. Explain it to me as if I know nothing (since that's pretty close to accurate!).

Voogadah (the closest translation is, "It's all nonsense.")

welcome - that's why we have these here forum thingees <grin> how's that for tech-speak?

actually - normally (whatever that is) you should not have to do much to set up a serial port - it should be ready to work when called upon.

The program you use (easygps or GSAK) does the port setup for you. You set the baud rate in the program and it does the rest. One guy had a weird problem like yours and ended up re installing the program and then it worked. no - don't ask - cuz I ain't got an answer for that one - could be a bad install but that is really rare I think- who knows.

Typically you would have to do more in your GPS than the usual program that uses the serial port to talk to the GPS. The Garmin have only one setting so there is less to set in the program. You can choose baud rates (serial speed) with the Magellans.

Actually it was not that the cable didn't work - it did worj - with the other map program and does now. It was the program that would not conenct to the serial port for some reason. Doing what you did - especially since the map program worked - makes no sense to us at all. It was remotely possible that the serial port was not enabled at all within WinDoze and your connection 'fixed' that. But since the map prgram worked - that through that theory out the window (no relationship implied with idium). So why it worked I have no remote idea at all. I'd like to understand why the program would not work and then why it did with your connection. But like I said earlier - success is what is important here and we are likely to never know.

cc\

hmmm.....

Digging into this a little deeper....

I went to Garmin site, and found this document.

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP76S_OwnersManual.pdf

Looking it document Page 54 tells me that the GPSMAP 76S will communicate using the GARMIN proprietary protocol at multiple baud rates.

Page 56 gives serial in/out data points and the accessories page shows a PC data cable with serial connector.

EasyGPS has specifically a GARMIN GPSMAP 76S selections ( found under files/preferences/manufactures/models and some misc. settings). Since EasyGPS list the particular unit I would imagine that it had "knowledge" of Garmin proprietary protocols...

MY main thoughts is that one needs to verify that BAUD rates in GPS (page 54 of Garmin document) and EasyGPS(setup in preferences) are the same. And the once data cable is connected to computer, EasyGPS should find the GPS unit by scanning through available ports...If it does not auto detect, you need to go to "GPS" drop down and select "Test Serial Connection" and follow instructions the popup boxes display.

Can't see where it should be so complicated....

Dale

I could not get my computer to download anything to my new Meridian Gold GPS. No firmware updates or downloaded waypoints. I could not figure it out. I tried for 3 days to try different things to get it to work...no luck. I downloaded the Easygps software on my computer ok, but thats it. NOTHING would work. I then asked a friend to see if he could try it on his computer. Guess what ....it worked just fine !!! I suspected that the serial port on my computer may be bad. Lucky guess. I took my computer back to the shop and low and behold...the serial port connection was NOT hooked up. When I got it back today...everything works just fine. What a relief. Murphys law......

ps: I love my Meridian Gold..........

If I remember correctly, someone once said elsewhere in the forums that EasyGPS doesn't work with usb. In order to get that functionality, you have to upgrade to ExpertGPS. Perhaps while trying to use the serial to usb and EasyGPS, it mucked things up a bit?