Gps Computer Cable

voogadah

I could not get my computer to download anything to my new Meridian Gold GPS. No firmware updates or downloaded waypoints. I could not figure it out. I tried for 3 days to try different things to get it to work...no luck. I downloaded the Easygps software on my computer ok, but thats it. NOTHING would work. I then asked a friend to see if he could try it on his computer. Guess what ....it worked just fine  !!! I suspected that the serial port on my computer may be bad.  Lucky guess. I took my computer back to the shop and low and behold...the serial port connection was NOT hooked up. When I got it back today...everything works just fine. What a relief. Murphys law...... 

ps: I love my Meridian Gold..........

Its quite possible your lap top or desk top machine can not "find" correct COM port!...

Suggest you delve into what COM ports or USB/adapter ports your "systems" have available or are configured for....

Major problem is usually identifying what COM port number is or if using a USB/RS-232 (serial) adapter what COM port number was assigned by WINDOWS system. This can be verified in the "control panel" under "system" under "hardware" under "device manager". Scroll down to “ports” and it will tell you the port number and at what speed (baud) port is configured at. This info is necessary to get EasyGPS and GSAK and “other” programs to communicate with GPS unit. Yes you do need to set baud rate on GPS to match computer COM port which may be set with whatever software computer is running.

This information is also valid for a standard "serial port" on any lap top or desk top system.,

Most software applications and hardware (modems) like to work with COM 1 ... Also if you have any "synchronize” software running for a Palm or other hand held, it grabs COM 1 and will not let any other applications use it. You may need to disable any synchronization software it you have it as a running application to release COM 1 if you have to use that specific COM port.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I sincerely appreciate your comments...BUT..the actual serial port connection was NOT connected to the mother board. That was the problem in my case. Works just fine now.

I'm off to buy some screen protective film for my Meridian. I found some at my local Office depot store.