60c And Cityselect

balidoy

I got my Garmin 60c last week, and then got the City Select North America software. I will keep the GPSr, but I have not opened the software, so I could still return it.

Of course I will need to load certain maps in advance to the 60c. But I do not want to carry a PC around with me in my car. I am concerned that my car might get broken in and the PC stolen.

Here is an example of a typical day trip: my girlfriend and I go from home (Orange county) to a museum in Los Angeles. Afterwards we would like to go to a nearby restaurant, but we don't know what's in the area.

Can I find a list of nearby restaurants and get turn by turn directions to one of them, by using just the 60c without a computer?

And will the 60c reroute without a computer, should I miss a turn?

If the answer is yes to both questions, why does it say on the software box: "Will automatically create point to point routes on PC only" ?

Edited by balidoy

Yes, if you load the appropriate CitySelect-North America maps for your area to the 60c it will auto-route you to the specified destination (a town, intersection, street address, or one of the business or other Points-Of-Interest). And if you go off the planned route it'll automatically calculate a reroute to get you there. The 56 MB available memory in the 60c should be enough for the LA area, but wouldn't cover all of California, so on longer trips you may need to take a laptop along to reload maps.

The wording you report on the software is puzzling. Are you absolutely sure you have CitySelect and not MetroGuide software? The current versions of the latter only provide routing on a PC, but CitySelect will do that both on your PC and appropriate GPS models, incl. the 60c.

Peter,

Good question.

The front of the box reads: MetroGuide North America v6.

On the back in the lower left, there is a sticker that reads "Garmin City select v6 CD-ROM Map - North America". Next to the sticker it lists various GPS models, but the 60c is not on that list.

The box is thick enough to contain more than one CD. Maybe it contains MapSource AND City select.

I bought it from amazon, where it was called "Garmin City Select v6 CD-ROM Map - North America". The code 010-10473-00 on amazon's site matches the number shown on garmin's web page about the City Select product. However that product code does not appear on the outside of the box I received.

So I am wondering whether I received the wrong product.

Edited by balidoy

MapSource is the program which manages all of Garmins maps. Whether you have MetroGuide, City Select, Topo or Blue Charts, you will get MapSource with the maps.

Now - something ain't right about that package! It sounds like you got MetroGuide, and somebody somewhere messed up and put the wrong sticker on the back of the box! I would go back to the store and open it there, and make sure I go back home with City Select or a refund.

I agree with NeoGeo that there's definitely something wrong since MetroGuide-NA and CitySelect-NA are two distinct products and the box should clearly state that you have one or the other, but not list them both. The one you want to support auto-routing on the 60c is CitySelect-NA. So I'd suggest you contact Amazon, explain the discrepancy in the labels and have them exchange your box with one that clearly says CitySelect.

With "Groundspeak" recomendation I purchased Cityselect for use with my Etrex Ledgend and it works great, yes auto routing recaculates when you miss a turn. I bought the navagation kit with charger and holder from Best Buy.Question can you delete or add specific cityselect maps to the GPS or do you have to add all maps each time you change?I guess every time you add a new map to the GPS it automaticly delets all stored maps in unit.