How We Made Our Signature Geocoins

I'd like to thank everybody who has provided information on making homemade geocoins in these forums. Especially to MountainMudbug's tutorial online at http://www.geocities.com/graphixoutpost/geocoins.html

Here is a photo of our homemade wooden nickels and polymer clay geocoins

LFDcoins.jpg

They all have our team name, "Little Fir Day," on the front, and then have different backs:

* "WE FOUND IT!"

* "FTF"

* "5-STAR CACHE"

* "GEOCACHING FIND 50"

We put our 5-star cache geocoins in caches we enjoy finding the most to let the owner know we rate their cache highly.

I've placed tips and tricks I learned while making the coins online at How We Made Our Homemade Geocoins

Only problem I have found is that with the Sculpey clay coins is that they can get soft again after they've been sitting in a hot ammo can out in the sun.

Ohgr

I've never heard of this happening. If the polymer clay is baked correctly, I don't think it's possible.

--Marky

I was thinking of making something out of clay, but It's going to be a while now since I'm broke as hell and sick as a dog.

Hope you feel better soon and congratulations on your 2000th post.

On topic: I have sig wooden nickels, but I like the idea of creating something for those special caches. I just might have to look into doing this.

Thanks on both counts.

At least I have plenty of time for the planning stage, right?

Only problem I have found is that with the Sculpey clay coins is that they can get soft again after they've been sitting in a hot ammo can out in the sun.

Ohgr

Sculpy and FIMO are polymer clays, actually PVC, same stuff as sprinkler pipes. So they will handle heat in an ammo box quite well. Most plastics will soften a little in heat though, and they could warp or deform slightly.