I Got A Question

russell_53040

If you're trying to stay under $100 your better off with the eTrex than the Geko... It's an all-around better GPS. I started with the eTrex (the yellow one) I used it for about 2 months and upgraded to the eTrex Legend (the blue one)... you'll find it for somewhere around $170. I still have my practically unused eTrex if you'd be interested in buying it. I have the user manual for it and everything. I bought it new for $99 and like I said... used it for 2 months and upgraded. I upgraded to the blue one becuase it has mapping capabilities and allows me to use MapSource software with it. The Geko is a very simple to use GPS, but in my own opinion it's cheap! The yellow one is better to start with... there's a ton of different stuff you can do with it... Let me know if you need any more information or whatever!

Thanks guys for the input.

Radioguy thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind when I do get ready to finally purchase one. My wife and I camp alot and I think this would be something that I would like to add to the camping trip or give us something to do when we get bored. I also seen something about placing a cache you shouldnt place one in a state park area. Did I read that right? Thanks again.

My wife and I camp alot and I think this would be something that I would like to add to the camping trip or give us something to do when we get bored.

In that case, if you can possibly swing an extra few bucks, go one step up to the Legend (the blue one). It comes with a data cable, and it has built-in topo maps (and the ability to buy and download even better maps). It has twice the screen resolution of the basic eTrex (sharper, clearer graphics and text) and a far easier interface to deal with.

The little yellow eTrex is a sturdy classic, but pretty limited (no maps, for example). If you're a camper, you'll so appreciate the difference. It's a giant step up in features for a small step up in price. Amazon's used and new lists the Legend for $115 right now.

You won't outgrow this one any time soon.

There are a few limitations as to where you can put caches... if you don't know before-hand, you'll find out quickly when you try to get it approved! TIP: Don't put one anywhere near RR tracks!!!

Do you mean when I go to post the cache on here they will say something. Thanks for the info on NO RR tracks.

I used it for about 2 months and upgraded to the eTrex Legend (the blue one)... you'll find it for somewhere around $170. 

I've seen the Legend sold for $130 a lot of places. $170 is kind of high. I'm with everyone else here. If its between the eTrex and Geko 101, the eTrex is the way to go. Aunti W also gives good advice with her suggestion of the Legend. The Legend has mapping which makes it far more useful and the Legend comes with the data cable as standard. If you add that in to the price of the yellow eTrex, you're only talking a few bucks difference between the two.

I guess I got alot to think about. Camping season wont start for me till the end of April. I think I will wait till it gets closer to that and maybe by the that time I will have alittle more saved up by then. Let me ask this have you guys seen the units come down in price alot? Thanks again I got alot to learn.

Let me ask this have you guys seen the units come down in price alot? Thanks again I got alot to learn.

They have come down a lot. I paid $250 for my Legend and $350 for my Vista. They now sell for $130 and $218 respectively on Amazon.com. The Garmin GPS V was $450 and now can be had for $230. I don't see them coming down much further though.

Edited by briansnat
There are a few limitations as to where you can put caches... if you don't know before-hand, you'll find out quickly when you try to get it approved! TIP: Don't put one anywhere near RR tracks!!!

Do you mean when I go to post the cache on here they will say something. Thanks for the info on NO RR tracks.

Yes - the geocaching.com reviewer will review your cache to see if it meets guidelines and local policies.

First, you should review the geocaching.com Guidelines for Listing a Cache.

If you're planning to place a cache in a State Park, you can check the State Park's Department webpage for a geocaching policy. You can also check the Geocaching Policy Website to see if they have information on your State and it's parks. If you can't find information, I recommend calling the State Park's Department and asking if they have a geocaching policy.

The answer may be "yes, our policy is...." or it may be "geo-what?". In the latter case they don't have a policy and you can place a cache in those parks, subject to the geocaching.com guidelines.

Although the gc.com approver does not physically check your cache, he or she can tell where you've placed it (by looking the coordinates up on a map) and they're usually familiar with local policies in the areas they review for.

You also can contact the reviewer for your area in advance and ask them if you think you may be proposing something questionable. To determine who your reviewer is, find a recently approved cache in your area on the gc.com website and email the cache owner (through their profile) and ask if they can give you the name of your local approver (it will be listed in the lower corner of the owner's view of their cache page). You can then email the local approver (through their profile) and tell them what you're planning to do. Remember that the reviewers are volunteers - it may take a few days for them to respond.

Unless you know the rules, there's nothing more frustrating than placing a cache and not being able to have it approved because you didn't follow the guidelines or the local policy. Happy caching!

When looking up the eTrex Legend I am finding diffrent ones. Is there only one mode? Thanks Russ

There are a number of models of eTrex, but only one eTrex Legend (well two if you include the color version). Here is a quick overview:

eTrex Color-Yellow, Price- $79-$109

Basic GPS. Holds 500 waypoints. No mapping capability.

eTrex Camo Color-Camoflage pattern, Price - $89-$119.

Similar to the yellow eTrex, with hunting and fishing info added.

eTrex Venture Color-Green, Price - $120-$150

Basic GPS with POI (Point of interest) database. Holds 500 waypoints. No mapping, but 1 meg of storage for POIs

eTrex Legend Color- Blue, Price - $130-$170

Mapping GPS with 8 megs of map storage for downloadable maps. Holds 1,000 waypoints.

eTrex Summit Color- Grey, Price $159-$199

Basic GPS. No mapping. Holds 500 waypoints. Similar to the yellow eTrex, but with a barometric altimeter and magnetic compass.

eTrex Vista Color- Silver Price $218 -$270

Mapping GPS with 24 megs of map storage for dowloadable maps. Holds 1,000 waypoints. Also has barometric altimeter and magnetic compass

eTrex Legend C Color-Grey Price $279-$374

Color screen. Mapping GPS with 24 megs of map storage. Supports autorouting (turn by turn driving instructions). Holds 500 waypoints.

eTrex Vista C Color- Grey Price $319-$428

Color screen. Mapping GPS with 24 megs of map storage. Supports autorouting, Holds 500 waypoints. Also has barometric altimeter and magnetic compass.

Here is a decent comparison chart

Edited by briansnat
Garmin has just offered a $50 rebate on the Legend and some other models.

Oops, just realized that is for the color models.

So if I got this right it is for the one that is listed above for $279 and up?

Correct. It was $279 at either offroute.com, or amazon.com. I forget which.

Edited by briansnat
The yellow one doesn't come with the computer cable... remember that... it's like $30. The blue one comes with it!!!

There's also the "green one", the etrex venture, that comes with a cable. Only 1 meg of RAM, but relatively cheap and just a wee bit over $100.

Edit: Link a an inexpensive eTrex Venture. Add to cart then view cart for actual price, which is significantly lower than the list price shown.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Within 1 weekend of starting geocaching we upgraded from the yellow etrex to the Legend blue. Basically it was because of the data cable and getting the Legend with a cable was cheaper than keeping the yellow and buying a cable seperately. Amazon had really good prices on them all and free shipping too.

Within 1 weekend of starting geocaching we upgraded from the yellow etrex to the Legend blue. Basically it was because of the data cable and getting the Legend with a cable was cheaper than keeping the yellow and buying a cable seperately. Amazon had really good prices on them all and free shipping too.

and you get mapping capabilities!!! SWEET!!! Do you love it?

eTrex Legend  Color- Blue, Price - $130-$170

Mapping GPS with 8 megs of map storage for downloadable maps. Holds 1,000 waypoints.

I'd like to confirm whether the blue Etrex legend has 1000 waypoints or 500? I've seen the 1000 number in various places but the manual says 500. Which is right? Thanks.

eTrex Legend  Color- Blue, Price - $130-$170

I'd like to confirm whether the blue Etrex legend has 1000 waypoints or 500? I've seen the 1000 number in various places but the manual says 500. Which is right? Thanks.

It's 1,000 now. It originally was 500, but a software upgrade brought it up to 1,000 (about a year ago if I recall correctly). Newer units are probably shipped with 1,000, but if there are older ones in inventory, they only have 500.

Its very easy to download and install the upgrade if you need to.

I would like to thank Russell for being specific about his price range, preference for Garmins, and what he plans to use the GPS for. He seems to have done some research already.

Most people just post the question as "Which GPS should I buy?" Yeah okay which car should I buy?

Thanks for the compliment. I now know what one I want to get its the Garmin eTrex Legend. But I still have some more things to look at. One of them is I have to figure out how to get the money wich isnt really a problem. I really want to make sure this is something I want to do and also after reading the dos and donts I want to do a post and make sure I got the basics down. With the help of everyone here you all are helping me make sure this is going to be fun and not a chore. Thanks again to all for your help and input.