Gowt Yahoo Groups

Jamie Z

I hope one of you more familiar with Yahoo groups can help me here.

I'm fairly interested in participating in the GOWT discussion boards, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out an acceptable way to utilize Yahoo.

There seems to be no way to read a string of related messages. And the ad pages I have to click through are very annoying.

I'm not here necessarily to complain, but rather to hope that someone can point out that I'm missing the obvious. Please tell me that Yahoo isn't as bad as I perceive it to be.

Jamie

They are generally OK as straight email "listservs", if little interaction is required on the actual website. Our neighborhood runs their email list off it, and use the files function as a limited place to keep certain documents / photos etc. But yeh, not a great resource but amongst the free ones, it's OK.

There is a threaded view on the web page, option is to the right , below the "search archive" button when viewing the message list.

Adverts..yes, they are very intrusive. A better solution is a homegrown forum / listserv / website.. but that you'll need to make it yourself / employ / know someone.

If you signup for a daily digest and read the group messages that way, the ads are not obtrusive.

I own one group and moderate another.

If your content is good enough, people will endure/ignore the ads.

Also, use of a program such as Proxomitron (google for it) will help elliminate ads.

Your profile name is stored under your account info.

Look for the "My Account" link and edit your profile.

Kenneth

It doesn't look like you're missing any of the secrets to Yahoo! Groups.

I discovered the "Thread" button which lists posts in sort of a threadlike order.

Also, I accepted that reading and posting will just hvae to be tedious on Yahoo! groups.

KP, I might try subscribing like you say. As far as my profile, I've tried to edit it, but I don't see where I put my user name. I'll look again.

Jamie

It doesn't look like you're missing any of the secrets to Yahoo! Groups. Maybe the GoWT site will have a forum section when it goes live.

Indeed it will, in fact, it's the only part of the site that's ready right now, the logon scripts aren't finished yet. Last time I checked anyway. pgfitzgerald is our web guru. I'll be glad to get off Yahoo, too, though it's been nice for a starter.