Geocaching.com Valid Html

The Cheeseheads

There is no detailed list of allowed html. However I don't see any issues with an image map. Copy and paste some HTML you want to try and see if it works. If it doesn't I can work to make sure it does.

As an aside my next addition to the site within the next day is the option to have a background image. People do it now but it is using a hack, so I'm making it so it works in the body tag of the html. Once this is done I'll be adding htmltidy to correct all the poor html out there (like forgetting to close tags).

Edited by Jeremy

Yup, image maps work fine: Collage

Though I've now archived it, geocaching.com swallowed the image map tags without a hiccup!

Nonetheless, if there isn't one already - it surely would help to have a page (linked perhaps there at "Step 4 - Report the Cache" section on the "Guide to Hiding a Geocache" page) that spelled out what html could and could not be used when reporting a cache.

As an aside, I just added background URL to the cache listing's edit page.

Ooh that going to help a lot with readability and browser chokes.

I assume this is going to extend to Travel Bug pages to. maybe? hopefully? :surprise:

Edited: for readability

Edited by MRCOGEO
As an aside, I just added background URL to the cache listing's edit page.

I tried this out and it works as expected. With the new page layout, you don't see as much of the background as you used to, especially in the left and right margins, but then again, seeing the pretty backgrounds aren't the reason people visit the cache pages.

As an aside, I just added background URL to the cache listing's edit page. Once I get a good notification method in place for cache owners, I'll start using htmlTidy.

I would suggest adding a "Fixed" option. Some people like the fixed background (I find it a bit annoying), while others like the default scrolling background.

I see Prime Suspect just made the same request I logged in to make. Please add a 'Fixed' checkmark to the background option.

htmltidy is going to break quite a few cache listings I would guess. Backgrounds are not the only thing being done with head tags in the body.

If the concern is mostly closing tages I have a piece of PHP code that will close all open tags around here somewhere that you could add to the cache edit page.

on the HTML subject...

I tried to format some text in MS word, saved as html, then cut and pasted through notepad into the listing description.  All the formating disapears...?  I tried again with Front page, and the same thing.  Am I doing something wrong?

Also why is searching the forums for "HTML" not permitted???

Did you check the box on the cache form that says your are submitting HTML?

Edited by Stunod
on the HTML subject...

I tried to format some text in MS word, saved as html, then cut and pasted through notepad into the listing description.  All the formating disapears...?  I tried again with Front page, and the same thing.  Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you have done two bad, wrong things. The wrongest is trying to use Microsoft Word as a HTML editor. The second, almost as wrong, is trying to use Front Page as a HTML editor.