Good Places To Camp And Hike In Ontario

RoosterBoy

The only park i've been to in Canada is Algonquin provintial park.

And it is breathtaking once you get into the back country.

We did a five day canoe trip (one rest day). Once you get past the first two or three lakes (about a day trip) you see very few people. That's the way I wanted it.

I've never hiked there, but they have many, many trails.

Joe Smith

hi is there any good hiking trails and camp grounds in ont near Ottawa or Montréal

The place is ugly with Provincial Parks where you can camp. These are almost always great places to stay. We camp too and its our preference to stay at these over the KOA and private campgrounds.

Someone mentioned Algonquin Park and this is probably the most obvious place if you haven't decided where you are going yet.

Cheers!

C-A

Gatineau Park has some excellent hiking trails for non-winter use. They are ski trails in winter. This park is within a 10 to 15 minute drive of Ottawa. Within Gatineau Park there is one campground the is about 1.5 hours drivet Lac Phillipe.

Within the city of Ottawa, we have a municiple campground in the greenspace in the west end. The rideau Trail runs past this park. The Rideau Trail is a 300 odd kilometer hiking trail that runs between Ottawa and Kinsston. It takes about 2 weeks to navigate (one-way) for someone in good shape. Pickup would have to be arranged.

Algonquin Park is approximately a 3 hour drive from Ottawa and has some incrdible hiking and canoing experiences. It is a very large park with backcountry areas, where you can get away from seeing people. There is an extensive bear population, so proper precautions must be taken. There are many day hike opportunities, and considerable road side campgrounds to use as a base.

Another recommedation: Provincial park Bon Echo. Crowded but some nice hiking and views. About 2 hours from Ottawa.

A little known Gem for canoing and backback camping is Frontenac Park near Kingston. This is about 1.5 hours drive from Ottawa. It has limited access of 48 wilderness campsites in about a dozen locations in the park. Very enjoyable, historically as well a variety of hiking terrain making this a favourite of mine.

Hope this helps.

pepperway