new 2 this. how deep are they burried?

thekeep

I have been on 2 in my local area with no luck yet.

Are all geo's burried. And if so how deep do they get

I keep sticking in the ground my screwdriver to try and locate them with no luck.

Am I doing this wrong and they are not burried????

tom

from trenton michigan

I have a buried cache. Well it is in sand with a pile of rocks on top. There is only about 1/4" of sand on the lid. This is a 3 gallon bucket I'm talking about here. I was trying to insulate the water bottles inside from heat and cold. It is in the desert of Southern California and is an emergency water supply. Everyone who has looked for it has found it. Look up the name "Hey Rocky!" for more info.

nscaler

Hello Thekeep and welcome to geocaching. Because of your two strikes at bat, I would double check you gps unit and make sure you are using the same coordinate datum that everyone else is. (That is, WGS84) If you are using the wrong datum, you may never find a cache even if it is on top of the ground because your coordinates would be off. Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

Hello Thekeep and welcome to geocaching. Because of your two strikes at bat, I would double check you gps unit and make sure you are using the same coordinate datum that everyone else is. (That is, WGS84) If you are using the wrong datum, you may never find a cache even if it is on top of the ground because your coordinates would be off. Hope this helps.

In addition you should keep the following in mind:

1) error is additive in the worse case - so your 20feet of error in your GPS added to the 20feet of error in the hider's GPS - makes a 40foot radius area that would have to be searched.

2) The cache will be hidden (not buried) so look for nice hiding spots - think "if I was hiding the cache where would I put it" That will narrow the search area quite a bit.

3) Some caches will be easy to find, others will be hard, and still others will require several attempts to find it.

Laurie

Did you use the cheats? I mean, there is no shame in using the cheats, that's what they are there for. This is about fun, search without using the cheat till it's no fun, then break down and use the cheat....then smack yourself upside the head for walking past it 10 times icon_smile.gif That's what I do. icon_wink.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Did you use the cheats? I mean, there is no shame in using the cheats, that's what they are there for. This is about fun, search without using the cheat till it's no fun, then break down and use the cheat....then smack yourself upside the head for walking past it 10 times icon_smile.gif That's what I do. icon_wink.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I am planning to bury a cache in the sand at on a beach. I thought this was ok since the sand below low tide is the most resiliant to human use, less impact than hiding above ground near dunes. Another option is to anchor it in rocks, but there is more sensitive life there.

once you take into account the gps error, you could end up digging yourself a really big circle!

if you really think you re at the right place and it looks like you'll be tearing up alot of ground then let it be and move one.

i just ran acros one of those here in miami and it sucks to kick around dirt for an hour trying to find a geocache. i dont bury my caches. i hide them above ground.

urbo

quote:
Originally posted by TAT:

I am planning to bury a cache in the sand at on a beach. I thought this was ok since the sand below low tide is the most resiliant to human use, less impact than hiding above ground near dunes. Another option is to anchor it in rocks, but there is more sensitive life there.

I've lived by the shore and you may have some problems with a beach that is open to the ocean. The sand moves a LOT more than you'd expect. Find a natural harbor or a stream.

Oh, and stay off of the dunes. Most places are still trying to get the protective dune grass to grow back and stay.

- Lone Rangers

i was planning on placing a new cach that would be dug into the ground but the top flush with the earth. something could then be placed on top of it so it would not be visible and no digging by the searchers would be necessary. Is this acceptable?

Howard Harris

Buried caches are not acceptable under the Geocaching guidlines as we are trying to create the least impact to the environment and digging a hole to bury something is a mjaor impact. As some of the other posters have mentioned a buried cache is covered with twigs, branches, pine needles, rocks, or in an already hollow tree. Some people have even gone so far as to create fake tree stumps. Please do not dig any holes to hide a cache.