What Makes A Cache Lame?????

AtoZ

Fortunately, there are search-criteria and pocket queries and other methods for finding only the caches that appeal to you, or your young children, or your 5000-find+ super-cacher buddy, or whoever! What suits you will not suit everybody else -- thank goodness! Or this would become a dull, over-regulated sport/hobby/game/pastime/etc! :lostsignal:

If I go find 5 or 10 by the same person and find that I'm bored or disappointed, then I may not look for others by this person, but that does not mean that I would presume to proclaim that those same caches were 'lame' or not enjoyable or suitable to others.

"To thine own self be true" and 'one person's trash is another's treasure!' are two quotes that come to mind... :D

Meanwhile, we're heading to a new state next week -- gotta go start searching for the ones we want to hunt...

And if it is too lame for someone's taste, then they should be able to just ignore it.

Some cachers just don't seem to be able to ignore the types they don't want to seek. It is easier to complain about them and try to spoil it for others.

Some people just don't understand that a caching population has seen fit to not place caches they don't like and an outsider just seems to not understand we don't want those types of caches here.

It's like a neighbor letting their 150lb Great Dane sh*t in your yard.

Who are the outsiders? I guess I am unaware of all the seniority and territorial rules of geocaching.

Some people just don't understand that a caching population has seen fit to not place caches they don't like and an outsider just seems to not understand we don't want those types of caches here....

What I understand from your post is that you don't like certain caches, so other people shouldn't place them, even though they like them.

Isn't this just an example of you trying to control everyone else? Why do you feel the need to do this?

Who are the outsiders? I guess I am unaware of all the seniority and territorial rules of geocaching.

Someone who doesn't live here. When no active local cacher would sponsor the hides, the cacher in question got a friend is not active to sponsor them for him.

In short, no one here would hide these types of caches, no active cacher here would sponsor these types of caches, but still they were forced down our throats.

CR, my remark wasn't aimed at any particular caching area or situation. It was aimed at geocaching in general where there seem to be folks that want to take away, or influence those that have the ability to take away, caches that such a huge percentage enjoy.

I'm sure an equally huge percentage of folks think that these cheap throw-away, junk caches are getting too far away from the original spirit of geocaching. When an area has such a large percentage of "caches" which aren't, it damages what geocaching is about.

Can you honestly tell me that the things your "huge percentage" enjoys, which have no locational interest nor any trades, is really a geocache? Or is it the bare minimum of what this site will list?

I find it wholly ironic that a virtual, which by concept requires something interesting in it's location, is so regulated that it is nearly impossible to get listed, yet a junk cache as long as it meets very minimal standards gets listed with ease.

Believe me, right now, I'm not trying to influence anyone with power to take away your ability to place these types of caches. I'm trying to influence the folks who are placing these types of caches and to show that this is not a healthy direction to be taking the sport. So, unless you want the caches that you like to find to be regulated, you need to do something that will tone down the negative criticism. I won't be quiet about this. Nor, I wager, will the other critics. If you want to be able to hide and find your micros, you had better start putting some thought in them and hiding them in better locations. I know for a fact that micros don't have to be junk as almost everyone of them in our area was worthy of being hunted. Now, that is different.

Don't let your game go the way of virtuals and code caches. But if you refuse to cache responsibly...

Some people just don't understand that a caching population has seen fit to not place caches they don't like and an outsider just seems to not understand we don't want those types of caches here....

What I understand from your post is that you don't like certain caches, so other people shouldn't place them, even though they like them.

Isn't this just an example of you trying to control everyone else? Why do you feel the need to do this?

I don't think CR is trying to control anyone. He just wants people to put just a thread of thought into cache placement. Who wants to search for a cache in a trash pile, or a loading dock? Anyone? It can't be the kids, or the handicapped people, or for the scenery. Maybe it is for the people new to the sport. Ya, that's a good introduction for them. Or maybe its for the numbers folks, because there are not enough quality caches for them to find.

I applaud CoyoteRed and others who are trying to clean up the sport. Or those who are trying to make the reputation of their caching areas a good one. Or those who are trying to educate the newcomers on what constitutes a quality cache.

I think when people place a cache they should ask themselves "Why am I bringing people to this spot? What am I trying to show them? What is my goal for this cache?" To me this could be showing them a scenic view, doing a creative hide that hasn't been seen in the area, making a cache that is easily kids accessible or handicap accessible, making a cache that is themed, or a cache that has lots of trade goodies. Something. If the only thing your cache has got going for it, is that it increases your hide number by 1, that is a "lame" cache in my opinion. Why bother?

I'm sure some people will never get it. Go on and hide your "lame" caches. Don't be surprised, however, when that becomes your reputation. Don't be surprised by all the logs that say "TNLN, thanks."

See, we agree with one another, in theory. I only suggest one hiding 'guideline', however.

'Is this a cache that you would enjoy finding?'

That's it. If it meets just that one criteria, it's totally acceptable to me. This is why I am not going to make a huge deal out of whether someone hides caches that I don't enjoy. I certainly am not going to contact them and try to lead them to the light as some would suggest doing.

I followed the ideas you mentioned for hiding:

1. Hide (7) caches that I REALLY enjoyed finding, including

2. Hide (5) caches that are UNIQUE hides to the area

3. Hide (1) cache that provide some SCENIC or other value

4. Hide (2) caches for the number hunters, quick picks between other finds

With the disgruntled retort from some of the neighbor cachers, these rules for placing caches did not work . . . it seems to boil down to personal tastes and a desire to stifle the way the game is migrating - I respect BOTH concepts.

Even though the game is migrating away from older ideas of hiding, I will try to resolve the concerns of others so that they can enjoy it their way, while they can - it's all the same to me as I love to hide & to cache, ANYWAY!

I do not believe types of hides will cause dissolution of of our site in favor of another . . . we have it good here and the people, from the top down, are genuinely interested in preservation - even if our ideas vary, somewhat.

...the game is migrating away from older ideas of hiding...

This is exactly what the problem is.

Some folks are wanting the game to turn away from a regular-sized box of trade goods placed in a decent location. Their idea of geocaching is thumbnail sized containers--that house only a strip of paper to place your initials and date--placed in some of the most lackluster locations imaginable.

The only reason it is "migrating" is because these folks are taking it there. If they had their way, regular-sized caches in nice places would the exception, not the rule.

Unlike my active participation in other threads of similar subject, I'm going to stay above the fray on this one, except to say that I support CR's, RuffRidr's, and Quest Master's comments on this thread 100%.

And, of course, to shamelessly plug my articles related to this subject once again:

Dave's Opinions on Geocache Hiding

Dave's Note to Local Hiders

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19
See, we agree with one another, in theory. I only suggest one hiding 'guideline', however.

'Is this a cache that you would enjoy finding?'

That's it. If it meets just that one criteria, it's totally acceptable to me. This is why I am not going to make a huge deal out of whether someone hides caches that I don't enjoy. I certainly am not going to contact them and try to lead them to the light as some would suggest doing.

I agree that this single guideline is a good starting point for proper hiding etiquette but I think it's an over-simplification to leave it at that. One may have an absolute right to do things their way but it is generally considered to be bad manners when one trys to impose their way on others. In this game, if somebody hides enough of their particular brand of cache, they can more or less dictate what the game is going to be. It is the pure form of arrogance for one person to hide a ton of caches and expect everybody to like it even if it's just a game. If we continue to ignore the fact that it's easier to hide of lot of nothing nowhere than it is to hide even a little of something somewhere, we can expect for the overall quality of content on this website to decline.