Want To Conquer Ben Nevis - But Need Some Help!

Yikes, it doesn't look like there's as much interest as I thought in this event. :D There's been some activity up top and it now sounds like the snow is melting so it should be an easy hike - relatively speaking!

I'll definitely be there though so keep me posted on whether you're coming.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Unfortunately my two boys will most likely not be able to make it due to other commitments although I still may make the trip up even if I don't make the ascent just for the event and local caches. I hope to be able to give a definite answer by the weekend.

If I do go will be able to take a couple of cachers north of the border with me for the weekend. I would plan on leaving Friday and return on the Sunday. Still undecided whether to rough it and camp out or go the easy route of B and B.

I notice there are 11 watching the cache page but only 3 replies so far with only one mentioning they will attend.

Keep me posted for sure. I'm heading up with my family and they are doing the sites in Fort Wm that day. My daughter likes 'caching, but at 4 years she's not quite ready for the Ben.

I'll post a note on the cache page and see what's happening. I also need to upload a picture of me so I can be spotted in the carpark at the bottom. Not too hard actually, just look for a guy wearing a Tilley hat "pirate" style.

Cheers!

C-A

I'll be there with my 14 year old G Force (he has done Scafell Pike and Snowdon). We still need to work out where we will stay but will be there on the morning at 0900 hrs. Not sure if looking forward to it are the right words but we looking forward to the challenge and hope the weather cooperates. You can rest assured the only record we will be looking to set is the slowest time to going up! :D:o

Very envious of you now - going up the Ben! Two of us Cache Hoppers, myself and Lauren, climbed Scafell Pike this weekend with some other cachers who were taking part in the Carry on Camping 2005 event. It was brilliant (check the logs). It's just too far for us and too close to being away already for a weekend this month. Will definitely look out for another similar event in the future though as several of the Cache Hoppers want to "do the Ben". Good luck - hope you have a great time and the weather is good. :D Liane

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Posted ages ago by Simply paul

Scunthorpe's still safe though

I have 2 points to make on this statement.

Firstly its Scumthorpe not Scunthorpe

and secondly its not safe around Glamford Park (especially when Lincoln City roll into town) - being a lincoln fan i know!

I *think* I'm ready for the conquest of Ben Nevis.

But are you *ready* to drag me up with you??? :lol:

We have decide to go camping and will be stopping at the Glen Nevis campsite for both nights. We'll have a new two man tent with us as part of the deal to get the boy to join me up the munro. So definately hoping for good weather not only for the hike but sleeping as well.

I just remember putting up our tent last year in the dark and rain the night before going up Snowdon. All was not lost as we had good company with the House of Boo doing the same thing.

Firth of Forth Posted on Jun 18 2005, 02:18 AM

Just don't forget the Avon Skin So Soft if you're camping. 

Thanks Sally for the advice and I have heard it works so will be bringing some in ample supply as well as what they issue us to keep the malaria laden mosquitos off us down here.

Less than a week to go and just hope the good weather holds up.

Less than a week to go and just hope the good weather holds up.

Actually, you don't want it to be too hot, or else you will need to carry about 6 litres of water with you. Just to confirm.....there is NO restaurant at the top, as a teenager enquired of me on the way up.

And watch out for the daftest footwear: last year we saw someone in sandals, and another man in wellies.

Well, I didn't have room for my hiking boots in the suitcase so I'm hoping my Reeboks will take me to the top. The good news is I'm on the right continent now. :D

What, no martini bar at the top? Sheesh, that's a disappointment. I'll have to pack my own flask & olives slices then.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus (no in Perthshire)

Well, I didn't have room for my hiking boots in the suitcase so I'm hoping my Reeboks will take me to the top.

Reeboks as in trainers? I would not recommend it, at several places the path is rocky stones and the top is all rocks, you will need the ankle support, I went over several times, mainly coming down, wearing the boots was a godsend.

What size are you? Might be able to bring a pair.

Looks like we're off to interesting start but never mind staying focussed on the hike and have started packing.

From what I gather we WILL be taking our time going up and down.

It'll only be 20 years for me to complete the 3 peak challengeand 3 years for the young one.

Alright! Simply Paul, Remote Part, G-force & son and myself made it up and down Ben Nevis without incident - which is more than I can say for the one fella we saw - ouch! Great fun guys and now I'm ready for some more abusive cache! Next year, how about scaling Snowdon by walking backwards dressed as gumbies?

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I thought I'd posted a follow-up to this thread, but I guess not.

A really great event - Thanks Andy (aka Coup') for setting it up and everyone else who came along. A big old climb, but a great feeling at the top! 4 1/2 up and 3 1/3 hours down. Some snow on the plateau and patchy visibly for the last 200ft or so. If you've done Snowdon, this is recommended - but you'd better know it's twice the climb as you drive a third the way up Snowdon before you get out of the car. At Ben Nevis the car park is at 60ft above sea level!

For anyone who likes mountains, there's this Locationless cache you can do as a bonus: 'H' Is For Highpoint by Buxley - It's good for the high point of any county, so there will be one near you to do.

SP