Ot: Coal Mine Maps In Sw Pa

shadango

Does anyone know where Ican go online to look at maps that plot out known coal mines in Southwestern PA?

I am trying to determine if I should buy mine subsidence insurance.....

Lots of mine-related stuff going on around here and I am getting to think I should get insurance....

Thanks in advance folks....

A study was done on the Pittsburgh seam mine pool and they generated these maps .

They are at a smallish scale but they are readable. Just pick the quad you're interested in.

Also they only cover the Pittsburgh seam. You'd probably be interested in the Sewickley and the Redstone seams too, but I haven't found any on-line maps for those. Hard copies would be located at the Miner's Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Mine Map Repository in Pittsburgh.

Most of those mines are privatly owned and likely not available. The only place I can see to get them is through the PA DEP Bureau of Mines. They regualate the industry in PA so you would think they have the maps.

DEP Website

Search their site for anything on the Bureau of mines. You will probably have to write someone in the Bureau a letter or e-mail since I doubt the maps are online.

Good Luck,

Salvelinus

Most of those mines are privatly owned and likely not available. The only place I can see to get them is through the PA DEP Bureau of Mines. They regualate the industry in PA so you would think they have the maps.

DEP Website

Search their site for anything on the Bureau of mines. You will probably have to write someone in the Bureau a letter or e-mail since I doubt the maps are online.

Good Luck,

Salvelinus

As far as I know, all the mines are privately owned. :unsure:

The mine operators are required by federal and state law to provide mine maps at specific intervals and upon mine abandonment. In the past this wasn't always complied with but now it is less of a problem.

As suggested, the PA DEP would also be a good place to look and I too doubt the maps are on-line. I've looked for work and haven't come across any.

As far as I know, all the mines are privately owned. :unsure:

Agree! But only if they are still active. Some here in PA have been turned over or sold to public entities after the mining went kaput!

Salvelinus

I agree too but in any case, MSHA should have maps of active, inactive, or abandoned mines. Along with the PA DEP, if the maps exist at all.

Ahem.. I think i can help you out here, you see i work for DEP in the SW Pa regional office and it so happens that i am a mine inspector. If i were you i would call our office in Greensburg (cant remember the # off hand sorry.) And get the number for the office in California,PA. They do all the deep mine permitting. Someone there should be able to help you out, and even sell you subsidence insurance. Hope this helps.