Here's An Idea......purposly

Snoogans

OK. So I have a quite a few decent containers, but I just bought 40 .30 cal. ammo cans and another 10 .50 cal. ammo cans to hide for my personal use. (I'm active on several cache listing sites and have several private caches to boot.)

Even after giving away 30-70 of these potential caches away at an upcomming event, I'll still have quite a few left and more being donated all the time.....

I thought I'd take a few of the clear containers, some OK swag, a log book, and then add several extra cache notes with instructions on how to log a user account here to claim a find and also instruct them to replace the cache as found. I'd place it somewhere that muggles would surely find it and NOT be alarmed, because the container is clear. I'd be prepared to replace the container and contents several times of course. It could be interesting.

Thoughts?

BTW- I've sorta already done it, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Snoogans
I'd place it somewhere that muggles would surely find it and NOT be alarmed, because the container is clear.

I think it could potentially generate some pretty interesting results. I'd like to see the logs which the non-traditional cachers leave. I'd also like to see how often the cache goes missing.

If (when) you do this, can you post the cache here so I can put a watch on it? :o

Fabulous idea! Yes, please post a cache link to this thread when (if) you place them.

What E=Mc2 said about raiding - park maintence workers at a cache south of me do seem to feel entitled to take whatever premium items arrive. (Verified by actual observation). But it's just part of geocaching, a variation on folks trading down.

I found a cache by a popular rock outcropping that was in plain sight. It was a two to one ratio of mugghes vs cacher logs.

Guess what, it's gone.

Another side effect is that muggles will take quite a bit from the cache, and not trade. Or they will leave the wrong stuff. I had to trash out a few 30.06 rounds and a can of snuff.

Other than that it's not a bad idea

Let us know how it turns out.

Joe Smith