Need Advice On My First Unit

dillingm

Hello all cachers,

I'm stationed in Korea and want to start geocaching here, but I need a gps unit first. The local store has these three options

Garmin e-Trax Legend $150

Magellan Sports Trax Pro $299

Magellan Meridian Platinum $279

I guess what I am trying to determine is what we all look for in a computer - what bang can I get for my buck and will it allow me to do other things.

1. Which unit allows me the most flexibility and options to upgrade?

2. Better unit and prices from stateside companies?

3. Do these three units allow me to get out and start caching without having to upgrade in 6 months (doesn't that just chap your hide)?

Thanks

Mike Dillingham

Seoul, South Korea

Well I can't say anything about the Magellan units (and I have only been caching a short time), but that Garmin Legend is a very nice GPS. Certainly more than enough to get started in Caching.

It will have a built in 'base map' inside, but I am not sure if wil have your local area in Seoul. Mine has the all the highways, and some major roads for North and South America, plus major cities all over the world. The Legend also has 8Mb of memory so you can download more detailed local maps.

As for upgrading later, that depends on what you want to do with it, like Weather Monitoring, Auto Route Navigation, if you want to hold maps for all of aisa, marine navigation, etc you might want to. Remember the Legend (the cheapest on your list) is still several models up from Gramins base model.

The legend has everything you need for caching, so bang for the buck that is it IMHO. From my experience, the only other thing you need is a Compass for the last 15 feet to the cache

Of the three, the Legend has probably found more 'caches than the other two combined. It's an ideal starter unit, and one of which you won't grow tired quickly. I am not sure what the basemap would be in a unit sold in SK, however when you say "stationed in Korea" I assume you are in the US Armed Forces and buying it a Forces Exchange store; in all probability, it will have a US/North American basemap, but I would check that for all the units. On the question of upgrading, GPS unit's are not upgradeable per se. Manufacturers release updated firmware, but the hardware you buy is the hardware you have.

A quick summary: The legend can hold 1000 waypoints, vice 500 with the Magellans. The Legend has a "patch" antenna, verus a quad-helix on the Magellans. The quad is thought to be somewhat better under heavy tree cover than the patch, the patch better in canyons and urban environments. The Platinum has SD expansion card capability and a built in compass. The legend has 8mb of internal memory for maps and the ST Pro 23mb.

Based on those prices, I would say that the Legend is the best bang for the buck, but it depends on how much you are willing to spend, how many bells and whistles you want, and most of all how you like the unit. Go in, and play a little, try the buttons, see if one display is better than another for you; the Legends is smaller but of higher resolution. Good luck!

Of the three, the Legend has probably found more 'caches than the other two combined.  It's an ideal starter unit, and one of which you won't grow tired quickly.  I am not sure what the basemap would be in a unit sold in SK, however when you say "stationed in Korea" I assume you are in the US Armed Forces and buying it a Forces Exchange store; in all probability, it will have a US/North American basemap, but I would check that for all the units.  On the question of upgrading, GPS unit's are not upgradeable per se.  Manufacturers release updated firmware, but the hardware you buy is the hardware you have.

A quick summary:  The legend can hold 1000 waypoints, vice 500 with the Magellans.  The Legend has a "patch" antenna, verus a quad-helix on the Magellans.  The quad is thought to be somewhat better under heavy tree cover than the patch, the patch better in canyons and urban environments.  The Platinum has SD expansion card capability and a built in compass.  The legend has 8mb of internal memory for maps and the ST Pro 23mb. 

Based on those prices, I would say that the Legend is the best bang for the buck, but it depends on how much you are willing to spend, how many bells and whistles you want, and most of all how you like the unit.  Go in, and play a little, try the buttons, see if one display is better than another for you; the Legends is smaller but of higher resolution.  Good luck!

Of the three, the Legend has probably found more 'caches than the other two combined.

Considering the Magellan units are more expensive this statement really does not mean anything not matter how you look at it. It is kind of like saying a VW bug is better than a Ferrari because they have sold mo VW bugs. Lets not forget also, finding a cache has more to do with the experiance of the person looking for the the than the GPS they are using.

A quick summary:  The legend can hold 1000 waypoints, vice 500 with the Magellans. 

this is not 100% correct, with the Magellan Meridians you can store caches onto the memory card, my Meridian Gold has over 3,000 caches on the card, These are broken down into groups of 80-100 depending on what city they are in.located in. This make it very easy to manage waypoints. Lets sat you 1,000 caches in a legen or even 500 in a sport track pro, it takes forever to scroll thruoght that many caches to load the one you want to look for.

The Legend has a "patch" antenna, verus a quad-helix on the Magellans.  The quad is thought to be somewhat better under heavy tree cover than the patch, the patch better in canyons and urban environments. 

The only beneifit of a patch antenna is smaller GPS size. In an urban enviroment around tall buildings there will be problems with any GPS when dealing with multi pathing.

The Platinum has SD expansion card capability and a built in compass.  The legend has 8mb of internal memory for maps and the ST Pro 23mb.

Being if Korea, mapping may not be an option, but when back in the USA with a one GB card in the platinum you will be able to load more maps then you could ever need.

Based on those prices, I would say that the Legend is the best bang for the buck, but it depends on how much you are willing to spend, how many bells and whistles you want, and most of all how you like the unit.  Go in, and play a little, try the buttons, see if one display is better than another for you; the Legends is smaller but of higher resolution.  Good luck!

You can fumble around with the tiny buttons on the side of the legend. or you can use the magellans with the buttons were you can see them. Sure the Legan has better resolution, but this is a non issue. OF the 859 caches I have found all but my first 50 or so were found with a Garmin the reat were found with a Magellan GPS

Edited by JohnnyVegas
You might note that the units have different memory usage. If I'm not mistaken, one mb of maps on a Garmin is more area than one mb on a Magellan.

This may depend on the software being used Topo, or Street maps.

I gave away all my Garmin software as I not longer have a Garmin GPS so I cannot load a map now to see what memory is required. I know with Magellan Software that Map send streets and destinations uses more mamory than Map Send Topo and Map Send Direct route use more memory than Streets and destinations.

If you put a 1GB card into a Meridian I am sure it is going to hold a larger map than a Garmin GPS, But a large map in a GPS can be a problem, with a Larger map it takes the GPS longer to load the map up when you turn it on.

Garmin e-Trax Legend $150

Magellan Sports Trax Pro $299

Magellan Meridian Platinum $279

1. Which unit allows me the most flexibility and options to upgrade?

2. Better unit and prices from stateside companies?

3. Do these three units allow me to get out and start caching without having to upgrade in 6 months (doesn't that just chap your hide)?

To directly answer your questions:

1) Meri Plat

2) Those prices sound typical for around here

The st pro should be around $240, the legend around $130-140

3) They are all good quality and will let you go caching just fine anywhere. There really is no need to upgrade as long as you are just using it for basic hiking/caching.

If you definitley want to use the same unit for more stuff (autorouting, mapping, etc.) in the future then I would definitely say the meri plat. Otherwise, any should do you well.

I have nothing constructive to add but...I'm curious...where do you find Korean Geocache information? Just wondering.

I didn't see Korea listed in the Country dropdown on gc.com.

GeoBC

I looked when I first saw this thread. At first I couldn't find any caches either, but South Korea is Listed, and they have 31 caches. I wouldn't want to be stomping around the bushes with a GPS in North Korea anyways...

South Korea

I have nothing constructive to add but...I'm curious...where do you find Korean Geocache information?  Just wondering.

I didn't see Korea listed in the Country dropdown on gc.com.

GeoBC

I looked when I first saw this thread. At first I couldn't find any caches either, but South Korea is Listed, and they have 31 caches. I wouldn't want to be stomping around the bushes with a GPS in North Korea anyways...

South Korea

Ah, SOUTH Korea. I looked for Korea and Republic Of... but not South Korea. Thx.

GeoBC

My guess is that hand held GPSr are not permitted in The Peoples Republic of Korea (North Korea) Just like Ham radio is not permited there.

Probably not, but I was searching for Republic of Korea (ie: South Korea), a small but significant difference in names.

BTW, I thought I would get hassled when I went to China in '99 with a GPS so I brought my somewhat disposable Garmin 45 instead of my III. As it turns out, there was nothing to worry about. The customs guy was more interested in my Leatherman and Timex watch.

But I definitely wouldn't go to North Korea with one. Not that I'm likely to go there in the near future anyway. ;-)

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

I own a Legend and a Platinum (as well as a Venture, a Meriyellow, a Forerunner and a 76S). Between the Legend and the Plat I use the Plat about 95% of the time. With SD card you can store unlimited info, the quad helix holds lock better, and the compass comes in handy.

I'd go with the Plat and you won't need to upgrade down the road. But make sure you check which basemap comes on the unit you get so you're ok to use it when you get back over here.

the person who started the thread is posted overseas and only has access to a few models.

Which is another reason to pick the less expensive Legend. It'll work fine for getting started and deciding which features he really wants. By the time he's ready to upgrade there'll be better models available anyway and he'll have a larger selection to choose from. OTOH, lots of people are happy with the Legend for a long time - that wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

You can fumble around with the tiny buttons on the side of the legend. or you can use the magellans with the buttons were you can see them.

I actually like the buttons on the Legend. They allow you to operate the unit easily with one hand, even with gloves on. Once you learn the buttons they are second nature. I have a 60CS with buttons on the front and I by far prefer the eTrex's layout.

To answer the OP's questions, at nearly half the price of the other two units, the Legend is the better bang for the buck. If the Magellan units were priced a bit closer to what you can find them for stateside my opinion would change.

As far as flexibility and options to upgrade the Meri Plat wins

As far as units and prices stateside, yes you can get better prices and a much wider range of choices here

As far as allowing you to get out and cache and not have to upgrade, all three fit the bill.

Edited by briansnat