Gecko 201 Good For Beginner

NTRotty

As Millbank said, nothing wrong with the 201 at all. I would also suggest that for your first few 'caches you look for fairly simple ones; 1 or 2 star difficulty level. This will allow you to get an idea of what you are looking for, and some of the ways in which 'caches in your area are hidden. Have a look in your regional forum or on your local 'caching website and see if there are any events planned that you could attend, or maybe link up with a local, more eperienced 'cacher. Good luck and welcome!

The 201 will work wonderfully well for geocaching... for hiking it should be o.k. as well.

Millbank mentioned needing maps to hike, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I have been hiking a bit over this last year, and have never had a useful map FOR hiking in my GPS. Now, this is not to say I couldn't buy a Topo program for my GPS and have those maps, but... for the most part, I tend to follow the trail that's been laid out in front of me.

On the other hand, because of the antenna on the Geko, you might find you lose your sat lock while hiking and won't get a good track to download...

That's a different ball game.

I think you'll like your Geko!

We've had ours for about a year now, and altho it doesn't get used much (I also have a 60C), I really enjoy it when I do use it!

-=-

michelle

G'day

I have the Geko 301 and I am pretty happy with that. I use it mainly for geocaching but also a bit of bushwalking, but still prefer real navigation when bushwalking :laughing:. Find using a map and compass adds to the experience.

Anyway, getting back to your Geko 201, I was orginally planning to purchase a 201 when I got my 301. Only got the 301 as I got such a good deal on it, it wasn't worth overlooking.

You can find an Owner Review on the Geko 201 where it has been used for hiking at BackpackGearTest.org. Might give you some valuable feedback.

Regards

Andrew

As others have said, you should be good to go with the Gecko 201. Doesn't the Gecko 201 have a US basemap built-in? With all the major roads? Or was that the 301? That may be all you need for interstate travel.

Don't discount the comment about getting Ni-MH rechargeables. I have a Garmin Legend which runs on AAs (twice the capacity) and I still find it handy to have a spare set at all times. I actually carry two spare sets: one set Ni-MH and one set AA alkaline.

Lastly, do a lot of reading on these forums with your indoor time. If you go back through some of the past pages here, you will see that nearly all of your questions have already been answered.

<_< I'm a new Geocacher with a Geko 201, and have found four Caches in a week of cold and windy weather in the MidWest. It's so easy to enter waypoints, and then go-to them that I can't imagine it being easier. I understand that there are more sophisticated units out there, but I did a lot of research before I purchased the Geko 201. If you can mark your position, and mark a waypoint (UTM) and go to it, what more can you ask? If you're hiking in the CA desert, and want to find where you started from, just follow the arrow!

rdtrekker