Virtual Tb

ostrom808

I'm not sure why it would be illegal, just seems like a slight variation to me. I assigned my personal TB to my shadow so in a sense it is also a "virtual bug".

It's an interesting bug, I'm not sure if I would log it. Just my viewpoint. (well maybe if it was logged really close to my home.)

Just ran across my first virtual TB. Why aren't there more? I saw a thread mention that they aren't around anymore - as if they had been removed. Are they legal? Seems like it might chew up system resources.

Just curious. :ph34r:

Are you talking about virtual TBs or virtual caches?

I don't think the TPTB or anyone goes around reviewing the pages for TB, and I also doubt they would totally delete one (but who knows).

Virtual caches on the other hand ARE reviewed, and must be very rare/special to get approved. Not illegal, but much more tightly controlled than in the past.

I don't know why virtual TBs would be illegal.... I also don't see the point, since the travelers are normally an item thats moved from cache to cache by cachers. Having something thats not phyisical, that can be moved without anyone having to visit anywhere... ??? ;)

I think we may have seen one when we were at a cache in Massachusetts. There was a paper there that had the travel bug numbers on it and you were supposed to log the travel bug and then make copies of the paper to place in to any caches you went to. It showed as an explosion and I think the concept was to see how long it would take for this "virtual" travel bug to show in all the caches around the world. Either someone or the owner put a stop to it because when we checked on it online - it wasn't active. I will look through our begging caching stuff to see if we might have saved the numbers or anything.

I think we may have seen one when we were at a cache in Massachusetts. There was a paper there that had the travel bug numbers on it and you were supposed to log the travel bug and then make copies of the paper to place in to any caches you went to. It showed as an explosion and I think the concept was to see how long it would take for this "virtual" travel bug to show in all the caches around the world. Either someone or the owner put a stop to it because when we checked on it online - it wasn't active. I will look through our begging caching stuff to see if we might have saved the numbers or anything.

Here is an example of the bug you describe.

Chain reaction

I actually wouldn't think of chain reactions and simliar dulication TBs are virtuals, since they actually have something phyiscal to find. Though its defintny not tracking movement of one item from cache to cache.

This thread has some examples. It would also seem from Jeremy's post that TPTB don't care for such travelers.

Cute, I guess, but they seem to just add meaningless posts and take up space in cache logs. I had never heard virtual TB's but in the past few days I've had a couple 'virtually dropped' into caches on my watchlist. Now, instead of the 5 most recent logs I see 4 and a 'virtual TB drop note' note taking up space.

This will be noticeably more annoying as many 'jump on the virtual bandwagon'.

I stumbled into a strange one once which was kind of virtual, kind of traditional:

Nekked Klucker Family TB

There were dozens of these little rubber chickens distributed, but all used the same TB number. The idea was that you would find one of these guys in a cache, but in order to 'pick it up' you had to wait until somebody else dropped off one of the siblings someplace else in the world, and then grab it from there before somebody else grabbed it.

I never really did understand it, but them chickens is runnin' up some serious miles! :rolleyes:

Don't now what gc.com thinks of these. I personally think they are cute and great for those of us who like numbers. so here are ones I have come across. All are active.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=74646

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=19115

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=71230

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=64046

I am happy to say I love these.

As a cache owner, I would swiftly delete any log left for the sole purpose of dropping off a virtual travel bug. Logs on my caches are for people who find (or don't find) the cache. With only the last five logs being returned in a pocket query, I'd be cheesed if a virtual travel bug log knocked a useful log off the page.

Now, if you dropped off sixteen virtual bugs and your personal travel bug as part of your legitimate single "found it" log, that's no problem. Your game isn't getting in the way of the one I'm playing.

Just to clarify each of the tb's that I have posted have a mission to complete. One of them was to be dropped in a favorite archived caches that is sadly missed; so some day the cache may return as a different cache. Another was to go to a cache that you have actually been to that is your favorite cache and post a note saying why that cache was your favorite one to find. Another's mission was to try and locate an actual tb from a cache that you have been to. I do not think a hider would mind these TB's but if I am wrong I would willingly relocate the TB to one where it would be more welcomed.

Blue Duece , thanks for the clarification. I completely forgot that even if the owner of the cache deletes the cache log it still appears on the TB pagel and the only people who can delete that are the TB owner, GC. com or the player., it also would still appear in the history of the TB's at the cache page, and the players stats., But I would certainly email a polite sorry to the cache owner who does not like the way I play the game. Again These Specific TB's have missions and all involve physically having been to that specific cache by the tb finder. at some point . I have never found a Virtual TB that 'sole purpose'is to be dropped in caches

Edited by chstress53