Book Exchange Cache

Been thinking a book exchange cache would be a good Idea in my area but not sure what container to use. I wan't something larger than your typical ammo can but still needs to be semi waterproof. I'll put each book in its own ziplock and leave a box of ziplocks for others to put their books in to help keep them dry. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Using "Freezer" Zip-locs rather than ordinary type (they're tougher). Or if money is no object, Aquapacs are very :rolleyes: expensive: http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html but waterproof.

Throw in some desiccant packets such as silca gel to keep down moisture. On the same note, don't pack the Zip-loc in a warm moist room and then take and hide in a cold frozen location (condensation). Or vice versa.

How about having one inside a library? You could speak to the head librarian and explain geocaching. I know that it would be only be accessible during the hours that the library was open. You could find a small quaint old fashion library maybe with some quality that would make it a unique place to hide a cache. Some really old buildings are benchmarks, so it could count twice for benchmark finders. People could do it during bad weather.

Actually we have one called "Caching at the James" that follows this theme, only it is not a bench mark. People do not know they are going to a library as the coordinates only take you to the front door. (then you need to use the clue) The hours are posted on the cache site. It is suggested that you trade media related items, books, tapes, or CD's and it is a great place to drop off bugs. We even held a Cache Meet there a a few years ago as they had a meeting room there. It is a small library and only has 4 librarians and they have had so much fun with this idea and it brings people to this vintage library. Good Luck ;)

Hey,

If you haven't already thought of this, just had an idea... It might be interesting to put Bookcrossing labels in all the books you place in the cache. The labels usually have a recommendation to 'set the book free' after the finder has read it, and that way more people would read the books and you'd also be able to find out what people who have found the book have to say by checking on the bookcrossing site.

If you buy the Lock 'n Lock 23 piece set, the largest container will easily hold most books.

But there is nothing better than an ammo box. Just look for a bigger box like this .50 cal "tall".

:o

You can also get ammo cans that are even bigger (20mm? etc.). Though when loaded with books are heavy to be lugging around!

Are you referring to this cache?

ec17e3d1-72d3-4a69-b0d9-23016eb259f3.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce
If you buy the Lock 'n Lock 23 piece set, the largest container will easily hold most books.

But there is nothing better than an ammo box. Just look for a bigger box like this .50 cal "tall".

:P

You can also get ammo cans that are even bigger (20mm? etc.). Though when loaded with books are heavy to be lugging around!

Are you referring to this cache?

ec17e3d1-72d3-4a69-b0d9-23016eb259f3.jpg

Among others yes. I wish I had a picture of the big white one that was along cedar lake :o

You want a pretty big container. There is a book swap cache in my area that is housed in a large plastic tote. Each book is in its own baggie, and instructions in the cache ask finders to take the book, but leave the bag, etc.

That'd be my cache, Cool Libarian's READ Box - Thanks for the plug, Reveritt!

The container is exactly that - a rubbermaid tote. Not sure of the size, but sizeable enough for at least 12-15 paperbacks and some other trades.

Even though the lid is not a "tight fitting" or locking lid, in the year it's been out there, I have yet to see one drop of water get in. It helps that it is in my yard, and the container is always upright and maintained - but, still, I have been very happy with the way this container has worked out.

For a large cache like this, I think placement is as important, if not more so, as the container. I'd place it in an area that you can get to FREQUENTLY - hey, try your yard - that's worked great for me!