Cache Theft

hand_crawler

It is easy, if they can find them...

This is the main reason the caches are HIDDEN, not just set out at the coordinates. The better the hide, and the more discreet the finders, the less chance of a plundered cache.

The instances of people using this site to track down caches to plunder are very few and far between, but not unheard of. The vast majority of the people who use this site and their GPSr to find a cache are into the game. Most of us are more likely to treat a cache as good as our own than plunder it.

Still the two keys are:

A good hide that reduces the chances of accidental discovery of the cache,

and discretion by finders when muggles are about.

Included in finder's responsibilities is putting the cache back into the hiding place without disturbing the area or drawing attention to the cache. A great hide can become very obvious with a few muddy footprints, some shredded grass, or piled up rocks.

All of us working together help the caches stay in good shape! icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the hobby. Hope you enjoy geocaching!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

It's a little known fact by those except experienced veteran cachers that caches are secretly designed to self-destruct if removed more than one mile from its hiding place. If so removed, the cache will initially spray a scented liquid chemically similar to skunk scent in a quantity sufficient to create a stink cloud 10 feet in diameter. If not replaced within a certain amount of time, the cache will then fire McToys at high velocity in random directions. Finally, if sufficent time elapses, the cache will "grow" robotic feet and begin its trek back to the hiding place based upon the programmed coordinates entered on the cache page.

Oh, and any travel bugs contained in the cache will come to life and begin biting the culprit.

If replaced, the smell goes away,the McToys disappear and the travel bugs will return to the cache.

I'm kidding, of course.

------------

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

The deeper in the woods your cache is the better. I have about 6 caches most of them are deep in the woods and I havn't had anything happen to them. But I did have this one I tried to place in a nice park which didn't have any caches nearby so it seemed like a great place.

I've had that thing stolen by Geomuggles TWICE!! icon_mad.gif :CWL003 (Check out my log) I even hid it in a separate part of the park the second time, but they still got it. The first time it was in a small section of the woods I should of known it wouldn't last long there. The second time it was under a walking bridge barly visible! I'm not going to replaced it again. I'm just going to find a different park next time.

My first hidden cache Keys to the cache-L was kidnapped and stashed in another local cache. icon_mad.gif The jerk left a ransom note. A geo-pal rescued it and tucked it back in its home before I could even mobilize. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Just happened to me recently...apparently, someone in the western NC area has found the geocaching website and is creating havoc. Not having a better alternative, I archived the cache to avoid the possibility others would try to find a cache that no longer existed...better ideas?

Anyone with any self respect knows that GPS does not stand for Go Plunder Something. There are bad apples in every group, but 99.9% of all Geocachers hold themselves and the sport to a higher standard. Along those same lines, I think a bigger threat is people not quite trading up or at least trading equal. I don't mean to kick a dead thread about that one, but it still needs to be brought up every once in awhile.JMHO!

quote:
Originally Posted By Lyra: If so removed, the cache will initially spray a scented liquid chemically similar to skunk scent in a quantity sufficient to create a stink cloud 10 feet in diameter. If not replaced within a certain amount of time, the cache will then fire McToys at high velocity in random directions. Finally, if sufficent time elapses, the cache will "grow" robotic feet and begin its trek back to the hiding place based upon the programmed coordinates entered on the cache page.

Reading that and looking at your avatar pic had me falling out of my chair. For some reason that just slapped my funny bone.