Frustrated Newbie- Are The Caches Buried?

ranchbikes.com

no caches are never burried

The "Small" size means that it is bigger than a 35mm film container but smaller than a normal tuperware.

if on a normal hunt that put me in the parking lot I would think it was a mistake when I punched in the coordinates. Being that it is a "Small" cache I would guess that it is hidden somewhere on the lot.

can you give us a link of the name of the cache? Then we can give you a little more help

Joe Smith

In a parking lot it could be hidden on a light pole, sometimes the bottom base slides up and you will find the cache there or it could be magnetic attached to the pole. The cordinates could be twenty feet away or more. Start where you zero out at at look for likely hiding spots from there.

Mike

Edited by Escapades

Are the caches buried?

No. At least they're not supposed to be.

What size is small?

Larger than a film canister but smaller than an ammo can. About the size of a small coffee can or softball.

Could my coordinate reading be different then the person who left the cache?

Yes. This will most likely be the case. With every GPSr there is an inherent error factor. Usually between +\-15-30 feet. (Your milage may vary.) Then remember that there are two GPSrs involved with every cache - the hiders and the finders. Both of the inherent errors could add up to your coordinate reading being off by quite a few feet.

The first few caches are difficult. Start with the easy caches with the difficulty/terrain ratings of 1/1 and don't be afraid to use the hint. (Sometimes you'll find it necessary.)

Most importantly: Have Fun!

Welcome to Geocaching!

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

Edited by Kewaneh & Shark
What do I do after I find the exact location and it is in the middle of a parking lot. Could my coordinate reading be different then the person who left the cache?

Absolutely. Your GPS has an EPE (estimated positon error) which usually should be 15-25 feet, but could be higher depending on conditions. The person who hid the cache also had a simialr error, so even if your GPS says 1 ft, the cache could be 50 or more feet away.

Something that is "small" will be approximately the size of your fist. It can fit a logbook and a few small trade items. Figure a 1/2 to 1 cup Tupperware container or similar sized container

I'll reemphasize what somebody said. Look on a light pole, often the bottom base slides up and you will find the cache there or it could be magnetic attached to the pole. I just did a multi cache today that had all 4 legs hidden under these bases that slide up. Each leg had a magnet attaching it to the pole under the base cover.

I'll reemphasize what somebody said. If there are light poles, look at them closely. Often the bottom base slides up and you will find the cache hidden under it, or it could be magnetically attached to the pole – like with a magnetic key holder. I just did a multi cache today that all 4 legs were hidden under these bases that slide up. Each leg had a magnet attaching it to the pole under the base cover.

Are the caches buried?

Actually, most of the caches I am finding are covered with sticks, but you can see through to the container. These are not technically buried (as in under dirt...the hider didn't use a "pointy object" to place the cache,) but it may still be under something (but partially visible.) My first few caches, I would walk right over this(quite annoying). If you're in the woods, look for sticks all lying in the same direction or anything unnatural.

What size is small?

For parking lots, the caches are usually micros (this will be noted in the upper right of the page under where you click to log. the symbol is still traditional.) these are about altoids pack size or sometimes smaller (35mm canister), but ocassionally bigger to. Magnets and lamposts are VERY popular, as mentioned before. Small would be bigger than a micro, but not a normal size rubbermaid/ammo can.

Could my coordinate reading be different then the person who left the cache?

sure! as mentioned before, there are MANY cordinate formats, and you need to be sure to have yours set to WGS 84 and hddd mm.mmm

if you need help setting this, post what gps you own, and i'm sure someone can help! You can also try the GPS units and software forum for this and any other help with your unit. (but don't cross post)

But the main thing to say is HAVE FUN! My first few caches, I didn't find it untill I came back to the spot a second time.

Hope this helps..... <_< Bike Hike Cache