More Than A Little Disappointed

lessenergy

So I visit this forum (after a long hiatus) to see what everyone here is saying about the Indian Ocean tragedy.

Low and behold TPTB have decided that you are not allowed to discuss this or ask that funds be raised for this most tragic event ......

Unless you first pay Groundspeak for the opportunity to go to the Off Topic Forum.

Is it all about money Jeremy? Don't you think some things at least ought to transend your need to make money?

Here is an example of what I speak although there are others.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=87245

Les.

I feel greatly for those affected by the tradgedy and have donated funds, but this forum is about geocaching and geocaching related topics. I would think that most folks that have kept up with news about the tradgedy would know where to go to donate funds.

Agreed.

Exactly; it becomes a case of where do you draw the line?

I feel greatly for those affected by the tradgedy and have donated funds, but this forum is about geocaching and geocaching related topics. I would think that most folks that have kept up with news about the tradgedy would know where to go to donate funds.

I agree with Jeff. If GC allowed every topic about a worthy cause we would never be able to find the topics about caching.

TBTB I'm sure from my personal intereactions with them are greatly concerned and caring about this latest tragedy....however they do have a site to run.

El Diablo

I have to agree with TPTB, what exactly does the tragedy have to do with geocaching? Hence it is off topic, and belongs in the off topic forum, which happens to be a members only feature. There are plenty of general discussion boards out there, I suggest you look around there...

Is it all about money Jeremy? Don't you think some things at least ought to transend your need to make money?

It was a brilliant deduction and indeed you found me out. <_<

After the tragedy I met with my band of evil minions deep within our underground bunker. There we devised a plan to force millions of geocachers to bow down to our might and pay for the ability to ask for funds in the geocaching forums. By this way we can continue our subversive plan to promote religion masquerading as science.

Sadly we had not planned on your brilliant deductive reasoning to figure out our plan. I applaud your superiour intellect.

Or, a simpler reason is that off-topic posts belong in the off-topic forum. Before an off-topic forum you had no place to go at all. And there are plenty of places you can go online to find out where to donate money.

Edited by Jeremy
So I visit this forum (after a long hiatus) to see what everyone here is saying about the Indian Ocean tragedy.

Low and behold TPTB have decided that you are not allowed to discuss this or ask that funds be raised for this most tragic event ......

Unless you first pay Groundspeak for the opportunity to go to the Off Topic Forum.

Boy I think you are giving them way too much credit. <_<

I have to agree with TPTB, what exactly does the tragedy have to do with geocaching? Hence it is off topic, and belongs in the off topic forum, which happens to be a members only feature. There are plenty of general discussion boards out there, I suggest you look around there...

The locked thread was about fundraising at geocaching events. I know this is prohibited in the US, because people would start collecting money for the KKK, as pointed out in another thread, but this practice seems to be tolerated in other parts of the world (the initial poster was from Sweden).

The locked thread was about fundraising at geocaching events. I know this is prohibited in the US, because people would start collecting money for the KKK, as pointed out in another thread, but this practice seems to be tolerated in other parts of the world (the initial poster was from Sweden).

This has nothing to do with the US. Geocaching events that are listed on GC.com are all subject to the same rules.

southdeltan

Les.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh my god I stubbed my toe, please send cash!

Oh no they're chopping down the rain forest, please send money.

OOPS thought this was the fund raising forum.

Stop whining and go to RED CROSS.ORG like the rest of us did.

Les.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh my god I stubbed my toe, please send cash!

Oh no they're chopping down the rain forest, please send money.

OOPS thought this was the fund raising forum.

Stop whining and go to RED CROSS.ORG like the rest of us did.

LMAO!!! I like you a lot... :unsure:

I will concur with everyone who has posted. I am going to close this topic since it is not about geocaching and was posted strictly as a way to bash Groundspeak.

It is a shame that you exploited such a terrible tragedy to dredge up some reason to bash this web site. There is a topic in this forum section discussing the earthquake and the geocaching implications of the geological action. There is a second topic in the Off Topic section about non-geocaching implications. I would venture to say that the topic is being covered totally in these two sections.

You can freely choose not to pay the extra cash to be able to see the Off Topic section. That is a choice that you make. I think members that pay to use this site deserve some extra things. The Off Topic Forums happen to be one of them.

Any further complaints you have can be directed to the contact address.