Stand alone Compass for a GPS, What's best?

Cooter13

With a GPS I understand its limitations so a compass is in order. I have searched the site, but have not found a thread devoted to compasses. I have noticed the Suunto makes a compass specifically designed for a GPS and am wondering if this is worth purchasing or should a general orienteering compass do the trick.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

There are two compass threads here in Getting started that were active recently. More info there than I can provide here. Also try doing a find on compass.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Thanks for the suggestion, I have read most of the threads already and that is why I posted the question. Maybe a better topic would have been what compass do you use, why and what would be your recomendation?

I have a pretty good sense of direction and have traditionally not used one while hunting or camping in familiar terriority, but I can see the value in using one for caching.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

The Garmin GPSMAP76S also has an electronic compass. But it's setill best to have a real compass for backup when you're really in the wilderness.

I choose the M-3 series by Suunto. There are compasses specifically designed for accompanying GPSes, but I've never tried one of those.

You might shop for a UTM grid made of clear plastic that overlays on a topo map. For my work it's essential to confirm the GPS locations.

Best Luck,

Bob

Follow up. I purchased a Suunto M-3G-Global, what was in stock. Seems to be the recomendation on the board and it seems to work for the finding N. As for the FAQ, there seems to be no mention of using a compass. I might need to make mention to the Admin to have a list of suggested items to have in a cache hunt. I think a compass would be close to the top below basic survival gear, shelter, water, food.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

'Map and Compass' is one of the Ten Essentials developed by the Wilderness Education Association. I doubt they have any plans to substitute GPS...

The map template I mentioned is refered to as a "UTM Coordinate Grid" and can be bought at Forestry Suppliers, Inc. (catalog item number 47917). You can buy smaller templates too.

Best Wishes,

Bob

I have not read this book yet, but I ordered it. It seems too good to pass up. What are your thoughts on it?

Book

Email me ccarter@viclink.com in about a week and I will have received it and had a chance to check it out.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

I have both a military lensatic compass and a Silva Ranger that I use as backups, depending on which one I find first when I walk out the door--both were reasonably priced (the G.I. compass was free), and I haven't wished for any features that they didn't have.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

I have an eTrex Vista with onboard compass. I like it very much. I have a Silva Landmark compass to go with it. It's much better. I use both, but the Landmark is very useful when going under treecover when the Vista's sat lock gets finicky. I can take a bearing in a clearing and then use the Landmark to navigate in a straight line.

MtnLion: Why? The only thing you lose is the bearing arrow. Even though you lose satellite lock, the Vista's compass rose continues to work since it works magneticaly, the same way as your Silva. After you lkeave the clearing, you can follow either your Vista's or the SIlva's compass. They both work the same way.

Now, if you really want to get something neat though, get one of these $150.00 Tifanny 1836 silver compass boxes. icon_smile.gif

14486089_xl.jpg

It's no good on a quad map, but it sure is sexy.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

MtnLion: Why? The only thing you lose is the bearing arrow. Even though you lose satellite lock, the Vista's compass rose continues to work since it works magneticaly, the same way as your Silva. After you lkeave the clearing, you can follow either your Vista's or the SIlva's compass. They both work the same way.

Now, if you really want to get something neat though, get one of these $150.00 Tifanny 1836 silver compass boxes. icon_smile.gif

It's no good on a quad map, but it sure is _sexy._

Alan

Yeah, good point. I wasn't really thinking, I guess. What I experience regularly is that the compass on the Vista gets wiggy and flips back and forth oddly if I'm sort of wandering around in a tight spot. It seems to need me to walk in a straight line for a while to get it back on track. I find that the Landmark compass is much more fluid and easy to deal with if I just want to use a compass while moving slowly and turning often around and around.

I love my Vista, and use it's compass most of the time. It's just when I really get in close to the cache and start zigging and zagging around that I like the Landmark better. icon_smile.gif

Mostly I enjoy juggling many different nerdy navigational aides while trying to sidestep the stinging nettles and poison ivy icon_wink.gif

My comment shows my ignorance and a mindless assumption about how the Vista compass works.

Yours, MtnLion

You're not mindless at all. Dispite my comment I too forget that the compass is still working after I lose the arrow. The problem is I don't bother to check the actual bearing indegrees while the arow is there. So once it disappears, I have to relock on the sats to "get my bearing'. I should spend more time noticing the actual bearing in degrees.

Just got an idea. If you're walking through heavy cover, while you have the bearing arrow, set up "sight n go" to the same bearing. Then the arrow will stay on the original bearing and you follow that regardless of whether you lose the sats. AIt's really not diffewnt than following the compass rose, but you get a nice big arrow.

Alan

I too have a silva. Mine is actually a compas-clinometer (it'll do declination as well as bearings). The best part though is a sighting mirror. You can hold the compass up at eye level, line you're target up with a notch on the case, and the mirror lets you see where the needle is pointing. About as easy to use as you can get.

I have a Brunton GPS compass, makes it simple to take a map and get coordinates for anywhere on the map, also to mark where you are on the map (completes the "big picture"). It is cake to use and extremely well made as well as pretty inexpensive. It really helped me get from the GPS to the maps and in planning where I want to go using maps that are not available on a GPS. I have used it with BLM/ forest service maps as well as NGS maps, puts a fun new dimension on this sport. Just takes some practice.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.8096 compass

Gotta tell ya I had *terrible* luck with with the Eclipse. Here's why I returned mine to Brunton and demanded my money back (more like $45):

* the lettering on the compass was merely printed on, versus quality compasses that are actaully etched in. The lettering on mine lasted less than a week.

* the solid-colored disk (whatever they call it) in the center of the compass made it useless for overlaying onto a map.

* the lack of grid lines on the base of the compass made it difficult to align with a map.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Perhaps they made some changes since I bought one...

-Bob icon_mad.gif

quote:
I have not read this book yet, but I ordered it. It seems too good to pass up. What are your thoughts on it?

I received the book, a really cool scale and the whole thing was delivered when promised. The book is very thorough, not so much in using the GPS, but is very good knowledge for navigation.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author UnkownBook

I use a $7 Silva I bought at Wal-Mart. I use it when I am close to a cache and the compass screen becomes unreliable because I am moving too slowly. Works just fine! I have been using one of these since my Boy Scout days in the early 60's. Do the more expensive compasses have more features? Yes! Will my cheapie get me out of the woods if my GPS fails? YES!