Explanation Card for Authorities?

DustyJacket

Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but I cannot find a reference to it.

I have read/heard of GeoCachers encountering police who tend to view wandering around the area with radios, bags, and whatnot suspicious.

Has someone come up with the idea of producing a laminated card with your personal info on one side, and a (brief) explanation of what we do on the other side? Something that would quickly explain GeoCaching, and maybe make it look more organized, and less like "some whacko" lurking in the woods.

Maybe that would be something that www.geocaching.com could do?

Comments? Other ideas?

(I realized that "registration" could be highly negative to many folks.)

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

where you can actually get a pdf file and make your own cards. I apologize for not being able to make a link to it from here, but keep digging through the link above and there should be another link that will take you to the pdf file. icon_biggrin.gif

The cards are really nice when finished.

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.

quote:
Originally posted by dwmurphy:

where you can actually get a pdf file and make your own cards. I apologize for not being able to make a link to it from here, but keep digging through the link above and there should be another link that will take you to the pdf file. icon_biggrin.gif

You mean a link to the pdf file like this.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

15777_2200.gif

You print it once on one side of the card stock, then again on the other side.

Assuming you have them oriented properly, they should come out at a folded ared with one flap shorter than the other, with the URL showing on the long flap.

I went with a much less wordy card. It fits on both sides of a normal Avery business card, and is the bare minimum explanation for a law enforement officer, rather than a receuiting thing.

Have had been an officer for a dozen years, I know how tense such encounters can be......

DustyJacket

If I was solo, I'd not want to read a card, taking my eyes off the cacher, but law enforcement here in MO is way different from CO.

I came up with a card that I am not completely satisfied with, but figured I could hand it out after a verbal explanation. Maybe it would indicate that I was not making up a story on the spot.

It is probably just a waste of time, but sometimes peace officers in this neck of the woods give me the willies. (It shouldn't, since I spent a dozen years as a police officer in CO)

I think the most convincing explanation will involve my personal logbook.

DustyJacket