Multi-Caching

Guest BiskitPnts

Guest BiskitPnts

I've come up with a rather interesting new idea. I'm asking here for the main purpose of getting feedback, although I'm probably going to place the caches anyhow.

I have had the idea for a while of making a multi-cache. Originally, there were going to be three caches. The first two would be registered (coordinates and all) with geocaching.com. Each of these caches would be complete, normal caches, except that the logbook would contain some information - part of the location of a "secret" third cache. Until I mentioned it to my dad, one of the two was going to have LAT, and the other LONG for the third cache, but he changed my mind. Now, the two caches are going to contain the bearing needed to reach the third and final (super)cache. The geocacher (geocache seeker - I know, we discussed this on the mailing list a while back) would have to triangulate the position of the final cache. In order to keep people from happening on the third cache, I think I will put a lock on it, and hide different parts of the combination in the other two caches.

The only real problem that I forsee is that people might "cheat" and publish the information about the third cache, so that you needn't find the first two to find it.

What do you all think?

God Bless,

Edward Bynum

This is a cool idea. I suppose it might offend a "GPS only" purist, if there are any of those, but I like it. (I don't think I can triangulate bearings on my receiver.) I might even set up something like this if you don't mind. I'll call it the BiskitPnts method when I post the coords.

If people want to cheat, they are going to cheat. You can't really spend much time thinking about that.

-Scott

Guest BiskitPnts

Of course I wouldn't mind. I'm trying to evolve the sport - to add some variation. Feel free to make a multi-cache ... and don't name it after me .

Edward Bynum

That sounds like a fun idea. Of course, the folks that have map software on their PC's could do the triangulation pretty easy and get the waypoint information they need to find it. But they would still have to find both caches to do it. The folks who still know how to use a plain old paper map could do the same as well.

Biskitpnts, that's A good idea. So to expand on it A little why not do A projection from the point of your choosing? A projection being A bearing and A distance from A given location. It kinda forces the use of A compass doesn't it? Scott, I believe map and compass is one of the purist forms of navigation second only to the stars.

With SA turned off and using A compass of course, it would seem fairly easy to find A cache unless it's very well hidden. Why not make it A real challenge. 100 yards from A given location at 224.5 degrees and leave it relatively out in the open. Now that's A challenge. You have to be able to follow A compass and pace the yardage. Just an idea

Guest Mike_Teague

My first 2 caches were originally going to use this idea.. My first one has the coordinates for the second in the logbook.. but when I got back, I just went ahead and put both up on the website... The game was only a week old at that time and I figured, why make it more complicated than necessary icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Teague:

My first 2 caches were originally going to use this idea.. My first one has the coordinates for the second in the logbook.. but when I got back, I just went ahead and put both up on the website... The game was only a week old at that time and I figured, why make it more complicated than necessary icon_wink.gif

Mike,

Didn't you come up with the SOS cache? (Stamped OffSet) I think it was. There has been so many ideas batted about since May I can't keep it all straight without going back through the egroup, 700+ messages now.

-Scott

Guest Mike_Teague

Nope, that was Dave Ulmer icon_wink.gif

He came up with a lot of the weirder variations.. The car-stash, Stamped offset stash, the-billy-graham-tree-stash-type, etc. etc.

I think they all still exist in one of the FAQ's...

Guest CaptainCurmudgeon

Great idea!

Often, we're reinventing stuff that the letterboxers have been doing for decades. I thought I'd come up with something clever -- the travelling treasure -- but the letterboxers had been there a L O N G time before.

But the nifty thing about this sport is that we're making it up as we go along. Anyone who has a new idea should act on it and just tell us about it after the fact.

Ummm, is this the "Unregistered Only" forum?  :bad:

I was thinking the same thing whast with all the unregistered poseters?

makes me thing its the same guy but probably not

No, it's just that Rocket Man is pointlessly responding to 3 year old posts. It's a rather tired attention-getting routine.

Hi, Rocket Man icon_wave.gif We acknowledge your existence. Okay?

I really like the idea of two caches, each with a bearing to the third. It'd be nice to be able to log the two as individual caches, and the third as a bonus.

A really evil idea would be to only publish the DISTANCE from each of the two caches. You then have 2 places to look for the third. Make sure both points are on public land, so you can't get clues that way. You have to get lucky, or try both.

Cheers,

Stu

Ummm, is this the "Unregistered Only" forum?  :bad:

I was thinking the same thing whast with all the unregistered poseters?

makes me thing its the same guy but probably not

No, it's just that Rocket Man is pointlessly responding to 3 year old posts. It's a rather tired attention-getting routine.

Hi, Rocket Man icon_wave.gif We acknowledge your existence. Okay?

Well hello to you too Prime Suspect.

It may be subtle and apparently missed by most, but there was a point to my resurrecting this post. It relates to the comment made by CaptainCurmudgeon quoted below (which I also quoted in my first post):

But the nifty thing about this sport is that we're making it up as we go along. Anyone who has a new idea should act on it and just tell us about it after the fact.

I may be wrong, but I surmise by the post that CaptainCurmudgeon is some sort of gc.com site official/admin and he is basically telling cachers to just go act on an idea and "tell us about it later" without getting permission. I think it shows how different things were back in 2000 when geocaching was just starting out. Things are very different now with all of the rules, moderators and permissions that are involved these days.

RM

Edited by Rocket Man