Carrying Case Or No Carrying Case?

medoug

I'm curious about people's opinion...

How useful/neccessary/desirable/etc. is a carrying case, especially with the Garmin eTrex models? Would you reccomend purchasing one? If so, should I stick with the Garmin specific one or are there other ones which work as well or better for less money?

Thanks,

Doug.

You're going to pay about $14.99 and you can get one at your local Stuffmart. (Target)
I'm curious about people's opinion...

Well I can answer that quite easily for you I think.

Nov. 17 2004 Sent Garmin Rhino in for repair. Scratched screen.

Dec. 18 2004 Rec'd. mail from Garmin (Navicache Garmins Canadian Repair people)

Dec. 18 2004 Rec'd. note with returned unit *** Saved waypoints, routes, checked on functions and relpaced front for Rino 120.

Also included in note Charged to Credit card $143.00

Now the Rino 120 is a glorified etrex model with Radio capabilities and there was no electronic work completed.

Do not look at this post as a complaint about Garmin because I already new the charge for the repair before I sent it in. Also Garmin did not abuse my Rino120, it just happen to fall in the wrong place and get scratched up. Just look at it as a hint as to what will be going on my Garmin Legend and Rino120 <_<

Edited by Cachengrab

I have a soft case on my backpack strap that I keep my 3+ in. It allows me to keep a lock while having my hands free. I have had no problems with screen scratches. I have fallen on rocks with my 3+ in my hand. The screen smashed hard on the rocks. My case got scratched, but the screen was perfect.

I guess its time for me to get a case....

Just wondering if the case makes using the unit any harder. i.e. reaching/pushing buttons, covering up too much of the screen, too big....

The Garmin brand case doesn't cover any of the buttons. The plastic "window" is the same size as that of the GPSr (on the B&W units), and probably should have been a little bigger, as it can cast a shadow along the edge of the screen. But that's not much of a concern.

The new color eTrex units have slightly different dimensions. I don't know if there are cases specifically for them or not.

I have a generic case from the dollar store hung on my vest, in case I want to put my GPS somewhere. I guess I could pay 15 times the price, but it just doesn't seem worth it. If the screen gets scratched, the GPS will still work. I usually keep it in my truck, in a cup holder, and don't see the need for an expensive case. YMMV.

I've had a legend for about two and a half years. My first one had been dunked a few dozen times, dropped about ten, fell of the roof of the car twice, and run through the washing machine once (The death blow)

In it's career it was in really bad shape. The screen was never perfect and the rubber band was falling off. A case would have really helped me out.

Garmin replaced it for free, I just had to pay for shipping. I've had the new one for about six months and am taking much better care of it.

While i would love to have the protection of a case I simply cannot stand having a case on any of my electronic gear. I hate the way it blocks the buttons, I hate the way the screen creates glare, I hate not having a perfect fit, and I hate how it makes the unit bigger. So I would never case my etrex.

(But when I get the 60cs I might)

Joe Smith

You ran it through the washing machine and Garmin replaced it? <_< Can't complain about that customer service.

Well, I never really told them it went through the washing machine.

I just said that it stopped working and the rubber band broke off. (That was true)

I also told him that I got it for christmas, which I did. he just forgot to ask for the year.

Joe SMith