Caches That Have Archived

Team BubbyMac

:rolleyes:

I have a quick question. there are several caches in my area that have been archived by the owner and they don't come up anymore when i do a search by zip code for my area. Is it safe OK for me to place a new cache there.

sorry if this has already been talked about but i couldn't anything that i though might be close to the question

thanks

Team Bubbymac

Sure is OK. Just to be on the safe side you might want to check with the owner of the original cache to see if they plan on replacing it (some archive by accident when they mean to temporarily disable it), but other than that you're good to go.

Its also advisable to check and see why the original was archived. It could have been placed illegally, or maybe it was in a place where it was frequently stolen.

I think its also a good idea to place it in a different spot if possible, just so previous finders get a slightly different experience while hunting it. Same spot, different container might be a bit of a disappointment for some people.

Edited by briansnat

Sort of on the same topic; there are a few caches within 10 miles of my house that have been disabled for at least 6 months with no attempts by the owners to replace, repair, or update them. I was just wondering how long is a reasonable time that these should sit disabled before asking they be archived?

Sort of on the same topic; there are a few caches within 10 miles of my house that have been disabled for at least 6 months with no attempts by the owners to replace, repair, or update them. I was just wondering how long is a reasonable time that these should sit disabled before asking they be archived?

try emailing the owner and the local approver; see if there is any plan in the works to have something done, if not, after six months, I wouldn't hesitate to post an SBA!

It depends on why it's disabled. But I've got remote caches that I could get to once or twice a summer of there was an issue. Those 3 months leave 9 more months when there would be too much snow to even mess with it.