Distance From Home Location To A Cache?

clockwise

Hi everyone,

Been caching for a few months and love it!

I was wondering if there is an easy way to work out how far away a particular cache is. It would be great if each cache page had listed something like "10km E from your home co-ordinates". Currently I am using a web-tool to do this, but it's a pain. Have I missed something? Or this is a premium member service? I realise that I can enter my home post-code, however if I can't find the cache in this listing then I'm out of options.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to work out how far away a particular cache is. It would be great if each cache page had listed something like "10km E from your home co-ordinates". . . . I realise that I can enter my home post-code, however if I can't find the cache in this listing then I'm out of options.

I’m missing something? If you enter your home coordinates in the drop down box on this page it list caches in order of how far away from you they are – nearest first – and gives the distance and direction in the left column.

You can also download these lists and put them in EasyGPS which is free.

Also, when you view a log from a particlular cache (click on "view this log on a seperate page" under the log entry), it will tell you the distance from you home coordinates.

That's what I was after - seems a pretty strange place to put it! Might email the administrators of the site and see if they can fix it up. IMHO it would be nicer if it appeared on the main cache page.

Perhaps I can save you the trouble of starting another thread. Cache pages are static... that is, they are stored in a database until they are updated with new information. This lessens the load on the database. What you are asking for is that each cache page be customized to include a field with the distance to the user's home coordinates. That would require making the page render differently for each user.

As an analogy, a long time ago the cache page updated every time it was viewed, so that everyone's current find counts would be displayed next to their name in the log entry. That was discontinued in late 2002 if I recall correctly.

I'd be surprised if Jeremy modified the basic cache page design to accommodate this request.