Micro Caches

gburgess

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

try m&m mini containers THERE A LOT LIKE FILM CANASTERS BUT BIGGER ...

If you do ... make sure you soak them in a solution of bleach and water to remove the smell ... or usually the first cacher to find it will be a four legged critter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by gburgess:

OK, just heard about them here. With a film cannister, is it not rather difficult to put a log book and a pen in it?

One thing you can do is print the log on the back of the geonote. There is a micro geonote available on the hide page. That one works fine.

Just leave space on the log for name and date. No room for comments.

george

I recently collected 3 - AOL 7.0 Tins. They are 1/4" to 3/8" thick and a square size just big enough for a CD-ROM.

I plan on painting them and putting them out somewhere. :-)

So far, I have done one cache and it is a micro.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21324

The best things in life are not things...

Now Open... http://www.geoindiana.com <-Click It! You know you want to!

WalMart and KMart both sell waterproof containers. In the stores around here, they are found in the sporting goods department, with boating supplies. They cost about a buck and a half. Of course, there are no mints inside to eat.

-Brett

Here's what I've done with Altoid Tins:

1. Use tiny plastic ziplock bags to protect the logbook and trinkets - I get mine at Michaels (the craft supply store).

2. Use saran wrap to seal small trinkets that would be damaged by water.

3. Paint the tin inside and outside with a rust protector paint. I like to paint my containers the same colour as its surroundings - makes it more challenging to find.

4. Check on the cache regularly and wipe down any condensation.

-------------------------------------------------

I've managed to get a log book and short pencil, cache cards, and a few small trinkets (postage stamp, small pin, beads, stickers) into a altoids tin. I also like using a magnet to attach the tin to metal objects.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Be careful if you choose to use Altoids tins (and the new Aol ones). They are not waterproof, or even water resistant. Unless you are placing it somewhere where it will not get wet, you're better off with a film cannister, or similar item.

i love the altoids tins for micro caches. i hang them under metal objects with a magnet and they stay relatively dry.

magnets are a great way to hide the micro caches. we usually forget to look under things. one of my microcaches thats hidden this way has elluded a few people.

urbo

For my latest microcache (similar to an Altoids tin) I made a logbook from the smallest size of Post-It note.

I just took about half of the thickness of a pad and stapled through it on the sticky edge with a heavy-duty stapler.

For a pen, I included one of those short metal ballpoint refills (about 1/8" by 1 1/2").

My solution for the fact that Altoids tins aren't waterproof is to use them to cache stuff that won't be bothered by a little water. In my case, they're going to be used to hold the first three stages of a four-stage multi, containing the coordinates to the next stage written in permanent marker on large enamelled washers, then clearcoated. (Well, okay, the first stage will actually contain four small pieces of painted plywood, which won't take too well to the water. But it's cheap and easy to replace, too.)

warm.gif