Another Newbie

Zeute

Can I do this, for lack of a better term, competitively with the basic, cheap yellow Garmin?

This sounds like spectacular fun and I want to get into it but have a VERY VERY limited budget. However if I am not going to be able to find anything then I don't want to spend the $ on the unit. I've noticed one of the biggest recommendations is the legend but I can't even really afford that. :blink:

The Yellow Garmin will be just fine, that is what I started with. You might want to get some type of mapping software, not to load into the Yellow Garmin (e-trex) that you cannot do that , but you can research the area of the cache and plan your route with the map software. Also, start with easy ones and be ready to spend more than just a few minutes on a search.

competitively

:(

If your going on a numbers run against the Four digit people, you might find mapping and autorouting gpsr, pda, or even laptops, and lots of maps helpful for planning out your trips. Just caching 'like a normal person', can be done with about any current unit. Not that you couldn't find 70thousand caches with a etrex yellow, but its nice to have all those frills handy, and once in a while they do come in handy :blink: .

competitively

:blink:

If your going on a numbers run against the Four digit people, you might find mapping and autorouting gpsr, pda, or even laptops, and lots of maps helpful for planning out your trips. Just caching 'like a normal person', can be done with about any current unit. Not that you couldn't find 70thousand caches with a etrex yellow, but its nice to have all those frills handy, and once in a while they do come in handy :( .

Competitive? You gotta remember, there is nobody standing at the finish line with a stopwatch or a score sheet. You are only competing against yourself.

The bells and whistles help you find more, or find "a little" quicker. And those extra tools add a lot of confidence and really help with the thrill of the hunt. But in reality, those cheaper units work great, they still get you to the coordinates.

All part of the this little obsession.. umm, er, hobby/sport. :P

Any GPS you can buy today will work for geocaching. The only thing you will really want is a PC cable.

Even the crappy Cobra GPS units will work for geocaching and they are starting to discount those heavily. Enough to where they are worth the money. :)

They're paying you to take them away now? :(

To echo everyone else, yes any GPS will work. Have you thought about looking on eBay, or in the Garage sale forum for a used one? If you can stretch the budget, I would strongly recommend the eTrex Legend. It's a basic mapping GPSr with PC connectivity. Used it should be easy to find for <$100.

Spend some time on the web, and see what you can find for prices on the basic etrex, vs. a Venture or Legend. You may be surprised at the prices, compared to what you see at retail stores. I'd try to get at least a Venture. Watch out for used units. From my first hand experiences and those of friends, the toggle switch on the front of the Venture and Legend is prone to some problems. If you are the original owner, Garmin is great for fixing problems fast for free or at a low cost, but I can't speak for second hand units.