Kids Bandages

I came across these kids bandages in a store recently (I'm sure all you parents are familiar with them).

I thought it might be a pretty cool item to leave in a cache. They'd have to be sealed of course, and maybe in a ziplock if the box is cardboard. I know my kids are always gettings lots of scratches when we go caching (they still seem to enjoy it though :laughing: )

They not too expensive, and about the right size. I don't know if they have a "safety" seal or just normal cellophane, and I could see how some folks might not like the idea of using them.

So, what do you think? Would you have any problems using bandages found in a cache?

That's actually about the first item I traded on my geocaching career. I found my first geocache without a GPS, it was a micro, and I took a small toy snake and left a coin. Later same week I was talking to my friend at a downtown café pondering if the coin I left was enough of a trade, so she dug up a brand new Jar Jar Binks bandage from her purse and told me to take that one into the cache. Which I did. Conscience cleared. :laughing:

So in my opinion, (kids') bandages are great trade items. Single bandage (in a small storage bag if you please) would fit also in most micro caches.

When we place a cache, we often put a small first aid kit (bandaids, ointment, wipes) in a ziplock, and write on the outside... " feel free to use this first aid kit, but leave it in the cache for other cachers to use". Caches in central Texas often are in thorny or brushy areas, and it is nice to have a first aid kit handy. (We also have one in our backpack with other things, too).

Always one to disagree...

Would you really put a wet dirty bandage on your child's cut? Caches are not the most sanitary place to keep bandages. If you put them in a ziplock it might keep for a while but I have removed several dirty bandaids from wet caches.

Parents bringing children on caching trips should come prepared. They should have their own first aid kit that they know the history of.

Next imagine yourself as the kid. You're out here in the cold and wet all excited to find the hidden treasure with all its toys. You cut yourself and it really hurts but you wiped away the tears and pressed on because of the treasure you are going to find. Finally you found it and when you open it up and look at all the bounty your mother wants you to trade your neat toy soldier for a bandaid! There's cars and marbles and dolls and you want to trade for a crumby bandaid? Get real, Mom!

The kid bandaids are nice to have in the medicine cabinet to ease the pain but IMHO they aren't the best trading item in a cache.

I have left small first aid kits for trade. They are spongebob design and have a wipe, bandaid and ointment in them. Personally I know my kids would love to find one in a trade, whether they need a bandaid or not! And being a mother whos son is a giant clutz, I always have a first aid kit on hand. But I know plenty others who do not.

I think bandaids in a baggie would be fine. But mayeb add a few bandaids or something else small to include with it, so it's not one bandaid.

In most of the caches that I have placed I have added a few bandaid style bandages. In the years they have been out in the wild I have never found one wet during a maintance trip. They are normally in a small baggie with the log book.

I use ammo cans for cache containers so there is little to no problem with wet caches.

Would you really put a wet dirty bandage on your child's cut?

...Er..Sure, if they would quit blowing the whistles we got out of the last cache.

Parents bringing children on caching trips should come prepared.

I have nine kids. Should have been prepared a long time ago.

:blink: Just kidding. I have a 5 & 6 year old. We pack bandaids, bugspray, trade items, water, compass, snacks, etc etc etc etc etc. Sometimes in between punches to vital organs we forget to pack certain things. Assuming coordinates got packed, there have been MANY times we used all our bandaids (see punching comment)

And sometimes, bad mommy, we forget bandaids. (see punching comment.)

your mother wants you to trade your neat toy soldier for a bandaid! There's cars and marbles and dolls and you want to trade for a crumby bandaid? Get real, Mom!

No-oo-ooo...I want them to trade THE WHISTLES for the bandaid.

Seriously, I don't think anyone ever makes their kids trade anything for anything. Not really an issue. But oddly enough, kids really like bandaids.

One of my 5 year old's favorite things of all time was a latex glove filled w/ prep wipes and bandaids. Of course he's been telling us for a long time he wants to be a proctologist when he grows up, and I rarely bend over to empty the dryer in his presence any more :( ...oh nevermind. Maybe he is a weird kid...

Seriously. We've always appreciated bandaids being there when we needed them.

any kind of band aid is good!!!! i seem to a thorn magnet, last time i got a thorn stuck in the side of my face. myself and lostfool were out and about and were glad to come across a cache with bandages in it.

when we put ours out, the ammo boxes will also have bandages and basic first aid stuff in them as well as other stuff. i really like the idea of bandages and such.

regards

archie