Garmin Repair Service

Haffy

I just emailed Garmin about replacing the rubber around my Etrex Vista and they have a 125.00 flat rate for repair. It tore at the flap on the back and the glue just seemed to loosen up around the whole rubber so now I keep it on with a rubber band. $125.00 seems a little steep to replace this don't you think? I tried to glue it back on but it didn't hold. Any other suggestions besides spending $125.00 when I only paid twice that for the whole GPS to begin with?

The way I understand it the 125$ gets you a new to you rebuilt unit not just a fix. With that said I glued both of my etrex bands back on and it worked GREAT. First take off the band. Clean the band AND the GPS with mineral spirits. The old glue MUST come off for this to work close don't cut it. Then go to a auto repair shop, I went to a NAPA store. Get some "permatex ultra black HI-Temp RVT silicone gasket maker number 598B" This stuff is great I have had it on for two years now and it is the bomb. Ron

How old is your unit, mine stopped tracking satalites, I called them and they said to mail it in and they would fix it, well it was so broke the sent me a brand new one and sent it next day mail. Garmin is the only GPS I will ever own.

They tend to do that. Every time I sent a unit back to Garmin for repair (I cracked my screen twice and once the rubber gasket came loose) I received a different one in return. I guess its easier and quicker for them to send you an new one and refurbish the old one to send to someone else. Each time I got the new unit back in a matter of a few days.

As far as the $125 charge, give them a call and they might waive it. I know the gasket problem is an issue. I think it may stem from leaving the unit in a hot car, but that's just a guess.

I have a feeling the $125 charge will come down soon because the price of the unit has dropped. Even if it is $125 its worth it because you get a unit that's practically brand new in return. If the screen is scratched, its replaced, the joy stick is replaced, the unit is recalibrated and its like new.

Edited by briansnat

I was searching for comments on Garmin customer service, and this thread seems typical. Almost everyone loves Garmin service. I have a 19 month old GPS Map 76S with an uncooperative Rocker Key. Sometimes responds to input fine. Sometimes up works, but it will not go down (menu items). Sometimes press right and get up (waypoint names). It's very frustrating. They want $135 flat rate to service it.

This unit has not been abused. The screen is not all scratched up. It lives in a protective case. I never had to find out if it's waterproof because it never goes in the water. I feel that after a year and a half it should still work. And if it doesn't, Garmin didn't build it right.

I just don't feel they deserve $135 to service this. It doesn't need to be rebuilt. Am I expecting too much from them? In any case I doubt I willl be posting any time soon about how great Garmin service is.

I was searching for comments on Garmin customer service, and this thread seems typical. Almost everyone loves Garmin service. I have a 19 month old GPS Map 76S with an uncooperative Rocker Key. Sometimes responds to input fine. Sometimes up works, but it will not go down (menu items). Sometimes press right and get up (waypoint names). It's very frustrating. They want $135 flat rate to service it.

This unit has not been abused. The screen is not all scratched up. It lives in a protective case. I never had to find out if it's waterproof because it never goes in the water. I feel that after a year and a half it should still work. And if it doesn't, Garmin didn't build it right.

I just don't feel they deserve $135 to service this. It doesn't need to be rebuilt. Am I expecting too much from them? In any case I doubt I willl be posting any time soon about how great Garmin service is.

There might be a ribbon Connector between the keyboard, and the main circuit board of the GPS, that has come lose, so you can try this before spending $135. There are a bunch of screws holding the GPS together, including a couple black screws in the battery compartment. You can try to clean and re-seat the ribbon connector.

Edited by GOT GPS?

what most people don't know is that with most credit card companies like my American express you get one year extra warrantee on top of the manufactures warrantee on products that you buy with your credit card

so in your case if garmen had a 1 year warrantee on there gps unit and you bought it with your American express card you world have 2 years. check with your credit card company they may pay garmin to fix this for you for free it's part of your credit card benefit

good luck