Pda Nightmare

snowmann

Cachemate would be my pick.

I started out using the eBook format and free reader, which basically just gives you your whole query as a big document, but it was a paint to navigate.

Cachemate is a nice, simple little database program. Very customizable. Best $7 I've spent all year (and you can try it for free). You'll find it here.

It's not the only solution. Hopefully, other people will chime in on other options.

I use Plucker for my PDA (along with Spinner). It's kind of cryptic, but I've cook booked it so that it works pretty well. There are several settings that you have to set in order for things to come out the way you want. I usually have one configuration that works, then rename it when I need to do a different query. The new name will download to my PDA when I do the hotsync under a new file name in the Plucker library, so I don't have to remember all the settings that have to be configured.

For Plucker, I prefer the Sunrise desktop. It's faster and easier to use than the Plucker desktop. You still use the Plucker viewer on the Palm. Install the Sunrise desktop, then select a new document list, configure that, then select a new document within that list, configure it to spider to a depth of 3, stay in the starting directory, and it's ready to go. I then use GSAK to generate the html files, and run Sunrise desktop on the index.html file. That's it. With Cachemate, I run GSAK and click on the Cachemate icon, which generates the file for the Palm directly. Spinner works, but GSAK does so much more that I long ago abandoned Spinner.

I have run both Plucker and Cachemate and, to be honest, plucker is just too much trouble and steps to get what is needed; the information on the cache.

I would really recommend using Cachemate in conjucntion with GSAK. You can download individula or packet queries (Premium member) and import them into GSAK, from there export to your PDA.

With GSAK you can also load your GPS, create files for Mapsource use (Garmins) and many, many other formats and programs.

Because I travel, my GSAK and Cachemate DB have 3000+ caches and to date have had nor problems other than one create by a my Laptop. With the right cable, you can also find caches loaded in Cachemate that you have not yet put on your GPS (Interface the PDA to the GPS).

Both have demo verions and both are very inexpensive if you decide to register.

I totally agree with baloo&bd. GSAK ($20) and Cachemate ($7) are excellent programs and real bargains to boot. Also, I've seen new Palm Zire at PalmOne.com for $69. That's about $100 to go totally paperless and the Palm can be used for lots of other things besides geocaching. The freedom from printing and filing paper logs is awesome. I reckon I'll save lots of money due to reduced printer and ink costs as well.

As premium geocaching.com member, I get regular GPX queries emailed to me so I always have the latest info on local caches. Before traveling, I run a query for my destination and download it to my Palm. Things are so much easier now.

Chas

try out cachemate. i dint have any trouble installing it on my palm. i have the paid for version. and i am very happy with it. downloading the gpx files from the cache pages to gsak by clyde would also be good since it can generate .pdb files which can be downloaded into a palm unit with a great deal of ease. i say this again....

way to go clyde, best 15.00 i ever spent!!!!!!!

regards

archie

Do any of the newer Palm machines have a way to connect a GPS module?

I know that the Palm V and the M500 series, as well as the Handspring Visors, have plug in modules. I'd like an inexpensive PDA-GPS unit, and I'm thinking of looking for a Visor Prism or M515 on Ebay. However, I don't want to get an old machine if there's a way to use a newer one. (I know about the iQue, but can't bring myself to shell out more than $400 for a PDA with its features.)

Parsa

Do any of the newer Palm machines have a way to connect a GPS module?

Depends on what you mean by "newer" and "connect".....I'm still using my m515 at present and use the Magellan GPSCompanion with it. However, I plan on upgrading soon and will probably switch to a bluetooth GPS since the newer Palms come with bluetooth.

You'll find several bluetooth gps options out there...if that's what your'e interested in.

Bret

If you're asking about the lower-priced models, the answer is no. PalmOne is getting cheap, and removing the connector from almost everything. If the Palm has only a mini-USB connector, it won't connect to a GPS unless that GPS has USB master circuitry in it, and it will cost much more than the Palm. The Tungsten line, excluding the Tungsten E, still has universal connectors, but the new T5 has a new connector that isn't compatible with anything. In the Zire line, only the Zire 71 has a universal connector. The Zire 72 has bluetooth, so you could use a bluetooth-equipped GPS with it, but again that will cost almost as much as the Palm.

Aren't most of the bluetooth gps receivers in the form of something you have to carry around with your PDA? I guess it's OK if you can find a place to stick it, as has been discussed, but it's one more thing to carry around.

So nobody makes an attachable GPS for PDA devices now? It seems kind of odd that a serial attached device like the GPS Companion for the M500 series has not been continued. I can't see any reason why they couldn't still be made.

Parsa