Canadian Geocoins

High IQ

That might explain why these coins go missing so easily :rolleyes:

I have released three into the wild, and I haven't heard from them in over a year. If people are turned off by the email requirement, they probably just get lost.

But in support of Geocoins, I have never received an unsolicited email. I just wish they could be integrated like travel bugs, or jeep bugs or any number of other devices which seem to be supported by gc.com

:o Well, from everyone's experience it seems that I have misjudged them. It looks like the e-mail address is only to help in logging the movements of the coins. I stand corrected. ;)

Still, I AM reluctant to hand out my e-mail address to anyone until I know who I am dealing with.

Note: this post is off-topic re: geocoins, but relevant to the spam avoidance issue raised in the original post.

I can't speak to the geocoins issue (I'm a Geocaching newbie, and not yet sure what geocoins are all about) BUT, I am very sensitive to the issue of having to provide an email address to unknowns, only to find I've been tagged as a spam target. I've found a fabulous, FREE service that helps immensely in this regard: Spam Gourmet

Essentially, they're a mail forwarding service, but their twist is that you can register at a web site with a never-before-used email address (following certain syntax rules) and the email address will automatically get created on the fly. Email gets forwarded to your real email address, but only as many as you allow, based on a part of the on-the-fly email address (max. 20). Once you receive the max number of messages you've specified, the email address essentially ceases to exist, and all future emails get gobbled up. If you find you've registered with a site that isn't abusing the privelege, perhaps the geocoins folks for example, you can log them as a good guy, and they can continue to use the email address.

Confusing? The spamgourmet.com website should clarify, but briefly, let's say I regsiter with spamgourmet using the id "fred". Then, I go to geocoins.com and they want my email address. I'm not sure about them yet, so I say my email address is:

areGeocoinsCool.10.fred@spamgourmet.com.

This will allow 10 emails to that address to be forwarded to my real email address. If, after the first couple emails, I'm happy with the way the geocoins people are using my email address, I add their email address to my list of good guys, and from then on, emails from then don't reduce my remaining email count. (Also, if they do abuse the privilege and share my fake email address with others, I can tell who did it, based on the fake email address I chose!)

I've been using this service for over a year, and they have eaten over 30,000 pieces of spam on my behalf!!! <_<

But in support of Geocoins, I have never received an unsolicited email. I just wish they could be integrated like travel bugs, or jeep bugs or any number of other devices which seem to be supported by gc.com

Could we petition GC.com for a legitamatly integrated system for geocoins like TB's and jeep bugs etc? I would be much more inclined to send one out in the world if that were the case.