Nails In Trees?

Birdsong-n-Bud

trees are often big tough things - a little nail is like a splinter to us- though we have nerves and therefore feel more.

speaking as a commited tree hugger and ex tree surgeon, i dont think a nail will do any reasonably mature tree any harm. the prospect of injury to anyone using a chainsaw is fairly minimal, as most trained tree surgeons are used to the risk of kick back and are trained to deal with it .

id say, bang in a small nail - if you must - it cant do any real harm - thoughappologise to the tree afterwards!

id say, bang in a small nail - if you must - it cant do any real harm - thoughappologise to the tree afterwards!

I still say this may appease the tree (and the tree was happy, but not really), but it will not appease the land managers looking a Geocaching with a wary eye.

If you really want to pound a nail in a tree, get the permission of the land manager for that park/preserve first. If they say yes, then have at it.

trees are often big tough things - a little nail is like a splinter to us- though we have nerves and therefore feel more.

speaking as a commited tree hugger and ex tree surgeon, i dont think a nail will do any reasonably mature tree any harm

That may be true, but as many here had mentioned, it's the perception that the trees are harmed by nails that can cause problems for geocachers. With so many other ways to attach a cache to a tree, why risk using nails?

I have a cache called "It's In the Tree." The tree is nearly dead with a big angry looking hole that runs the length of the trunk. I considered using a screw-in hook to anchor the cache, but finally decided I could get the same result with some parachute cord and a small "S" hook. The hook is attached to a thin area at the top of the hole and the cache is suspended inside.

I have another cache (a multi) where one stage is suspended in much the same way. Parachute cord can work wonders.....it might be an option.

Bret

With all the crappy White Fir I have seen, there must be a flock of cross-eyed people wandering in the woods. :D

Drill a Cottonwood and your chance's of striking water are pretty good. Not the kind you would want. Ugly nasty stuff at times. And STINK! You think the pull my finger joke is bad, just pull a plug out of a rotton cottonwood.

I will send an idea to you you just might like.

logscaler.

ive had second thoughts! dont put a nail into a tree - it aint natural and it aint nice - ( my thoughts and comments last night kept me awake for many hours!) though i still think it wont hurt a tree - i know it doesnt feel right bangin a nail into one. nor does it feel right cutting a tree down - even a dead one ( though 99% of the trees i cut in my past job were dead).

if the only place to put a cache is in a tree that needs a nail bangin into it - perhaps we dont need that cache, set in that manner.

ive had second thoughts! dont put a nail into a tree - it aint natural and it aint nice - ( my thoughts and comments last night kept me awake for many hours!) though i still think it wont hurt a tree - i know it doesnt feel right bangin a nail into one. nor does it feel right cutting a tree down - even a dead one ( though 99% of the trees i cut in my past job were dead).

if the only place to put a cache is in a tree that needs a nail bangin into it - perhaps we dont need that cache, set in that manner.

LOL!

Ever seen the damage done by a nail when you are sawing wood mechanically?

But when in the desperate need to put a nail in a tree: use normal iron, not stainless steel or anything with copper in it.

Iron and normal rust are not poisonous to trees.

No but I've seen the damage done to the saw. Actually one arborist I spok with claimed that aluminum nails are the best kind of nails to use.