Meridian Gold Backlight

Mr Lost

I have a friend with a Meridian Gold, and I am buying one used. His, and the one I am buying both work just fine, except for the fact that the backlight does not function in either one.

Has anyone noticed a pattern with the backlight not working? Also, if it is broken, how difficult / expensive / time consuming is it to repair?

I am that friend, and I have to say I found it weird when ML told me the GPS he was buying had a defective backlight, as mine does also. Yet, I've never heard any other Meridian users complain about this.

Perhaps it is a common problem that nobody knows about.

As to fixing it... Magellan quoted me somewhere around $100 a while back. I could see if I still have the email. All I know is I laughed and never thought about it again.

Jamie

I had the backlight stop working on my Platinum. I called Magellan and got an RMA number to send it in to be repaired. Before packing it up, I reloaded the firmware (to get rid of the modified lawyer screen hack), and suddenly the light worked again.

I don't know WHY it worked, but it's easy to do and can't hurt...

Did you try reinstalling the firmware per Stunods suggestion?

If you did and that didn't work, try calling Magellan again. I recently needed to have my Gold repaired and they told me $125.00 if out of warranty. I just called back at another time and that person just went ahead and gave me the RMA number. Away it went and I got it back in about 1 1/2 weeks, repaired not replaced BTW, and with a free data/power cable thrown in. Needless to say, I am a very pleased Magellan customer, the free cable was icing on the cake.

I also had to send in my Etrex Yellow at about the same time. That went pretty much the same way, except no freebie when I got that one back. I am a very pleased Garmin customer too, but this piece of cake had no icing...

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
Did you try reinstalling the firmware per Stunods suggestion?

Yes, I helped MrL reinstall the firmware with no resulting change in the backlight.

It's beginning to sound like we've exposed a weak spot in the longevity of the Meridian. Much like the display and click stick of the eTrex line, the backlights of the Meridians eventually quit working.

I contacted Magellan a while back both about my backlight and about an apparent preoblem with the gasket. I was of the opinion that the problems may have arisen when I sent my GPS in to repair the "blue spots" about a year ago. They didn't acknowledge that they may have caused the problem but rather simply sent me a curt email telling me I could send the unit in along with $125 for repairs.

I believe my backlight issue is a mechanical one, for several months I had a rattling piece of plastic inside my case. I'm not sure if a call to them would net me happy results or not. I fixed the gasket myself.

Jamie

I'm getting the impression most of you are talking about the screen backlight where I was talking about the buttons backlight.

Correct. The screen backlight no longer functions on my Gold. I took it apart, but not enough to really get into the guts of it. Nothing was obviously out of place that my inexperienced eyes could see.

I didn't know that the buttons were lighted. If that is the case, perhaps it is on the same circuit.

Don't worry about the Meridian Color, it is a bit different, it is a white light backlight, and it should last awhile. The other Meridians, have a Blue-Green Electro-Luminescent Backlight, behind the LCD Display. I have experience with the Electro-Luminecent backlight shorting out the battery in another Device. The bad backlight could kill your batteries, even with the unit turned off, if it is like my experience with a backlight on a high-end Cannon 35mm camera.

--------------------------------

Edited in:

The Electro-Luminecent Display's have a certain lifetime to them, maybe not more than 5 years, or too much moisture, and cold that could shorten the life.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I feel like kind of a goof for asking this: Which button am I supposed to press to activate the backlight? It's been a long time since I used it at night, and I can't find my manual.

Thanks.

If its the Meridian Gold, hold the power button down to activate low level light, then hold it down again to increase the light level, hold it down one more time to deactivate the light.

Lynx