Garmin Etrex Legend?

rbro

Brand new newbie here. I saw an article in the Sunday paper that got me interested. This sounds like the perfect way to get my tech-happy family away from the computers and X-Boxes and into a regular weekly geocaching expedition. So, first thing's first, I need a GPS receiver. After doing a little bit of research, it looks like the Garmin Etrex Legend may be my best bet. I need something under $150, that I can hook up to my Mac (I think I have a serial to USB adapter in my garage somewhere)....I also wanted something with mapping capabilities and a compass. Can anyone recommend anything better for my price range? I've seen the legend online for as low as $142, does anyone know where I might get a better deal? I'd like to keep it as close to $100 as possible..........

:D

The Legend has mapping abilities, just not a lot of RAM to store them in. However it has enough to get by.

What it doesn't have that you listed is a Compass. To get an electronic Compass you are looking at a Vista. All GPSs have a compass screen. However without an eletronic compass it's only accurate when you are moving. Two steps takes care of that but, you do need to know it doesn't have the electronic compass.

I have a Legend and like it alot. I got mine for about $130.00 or so online. I have not priced them lately but I don't think you will get one for close to $100. The legend does not have a compas. It has a bearing/course pointer. The Vista & summit have an electronic compas but they are considerably more expensive. I figure if I get good enough at this to need a compas, I'll buy a regular one. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. :D

as usual, RK's a faster typist!!!!

Edited by greende

The Legend has a big fan club around here. I love mine.

Certainly, there are features on the models up from the Legend that would be handy, but I carry an old-fashioned compass and it does me very well. If I were to go up from this one, I'd go all the way up to a 60C.

I wouldn't go down from the Legend, though. You can get a Little Yellow eTrex for well under $100, but the feature set on the Legend is definitely worth the extra money.

G'wan, you'll love the Legend. You have the personal guarantee of some woman on the internet posing as a weasel :D

As the weasel says, there are lots of Legend fans around here. It sounds like you've done your homework. Its a great unit. I would strongly recommend shopping around on line for the best price, although it seems to me that Best Buy and or Office Depot (or Max?) had some good prices on Legends lately. Try googling "Garmin Legend" and see what you come up with.

There is a nice review of the Legend here.

G'wan, you'll love the Legend. You have the personal guarantee of some woman on the internet posing as a weasel  :D

lol...you convinced me. I just ordered one from tigergps.com for $142!!

:lol:

Welome, :lol:

The legend is a great gps. I think you will be very happy with it.

The legend does have a compass ring that will show you what way is North.

You have to be moving for it to work unlike a reg compass or a gps with a built in digital compass.

Enjoy and have fun....

The legend does have a compass ring that will show you what way is North.

You have to be moving for it to work unlike a reg compass or a gps with a built in digital compass.

Yes, you're quite right. I should've clarified.

But you have to be moving at around 3 mph or greater for it to have any accuracy. While this is merely a brisk pace walking across a parking lot, trying to maintain this landspeed galloping around off-path in the woods is a different story. After several trip-and-falls, and a couple of nasty facial injuries from dashing headlong into lumber, I bought a compass.

I don't mind a few war wounds, but I was starting to look like I was in an abusive relationship.

What Mac software do you use and what do you use it for?

I use Mac GPS pro for transferring waypoints and routes from my GPS to my computer and I import .GPX waypoint files from the GC.com straight to my GPS.

The software is easy to use, but a little clunky. But it beats manually entering 25 waypoints!!!

serial->USB adapter

Yes, I use serial \ USB at home. But I also am able to use Bluetooth while I am at work.

I haven't used any mapping software yet though.

Yes, I use serial \ USB at home. But I also am able to use Bluetooth while I am at work.

So is the legend bluetooth enabled? My Powerbook has built in bluetooth I believe, so does that mean I can connect the 2 wirelessly basically? That would be cool......

So is the legend bluetooth enabled? My Powerbook has built in bluetooth I believe, so does that mean I can connect the 2 wirelessly basically? That would be cool......

It's not bluetooth enabled. There are bluetooth GPS's but they tend to be Bricks with no displays for PDA's and laptops.

Thanks. Oh well, I guess a regular old compass is no big deal to lug around.....

I have the Legend as well and love it. It does have some trouble keeping a lock on the sats under heavy tree cover and tall buildings though. I always carry a seperate compass with me. Goes back to my boy scout training. I keep it just in case the GPS'r dies for what ever reason.

i have an etrex legend and the mapsource points of interest cd...i am very pleased with it. although my wife still thinks im crazy for going out to the woods looking for caches...she makes a great base operator/admin by way of cellphone.

the mapsource cd exceeded my expectations as did the etrex. if you can...try to get that mapsource cd (points of interest)..youll be very surprised at its capabilities. for christmas i think im getting the metroguide usa mapsource cd.

also...you may want to download clydes "gsak" application. clyde did a wonderful job on this and it makes downloading waypoints to a legend a breeze...i keep 500 waypoints on my GPSr at all times in case im out an about running errands i goto find nearest waypoints and do a quickie. by the way geocaching can cause withdrawal symptoms, especially on well hid caches you just know where it is and have to get back to it asap.

have fun...just play with the etrex legend learn the individual pages etc

most of all be safe and have fun.

regards

archie