Recommendations In Nashville?

Floridaflamingo

There are lots of quality traditionals in Nashville, as well as lots of micros. A good place to start is http://www.mtgc.org/hits/ It is a list of Nashville's Greatest Hits as compiled by members of the Middle Tennessee Geocaching Club. It categorizes many different types of cache and presents the bests of each category. I am flattered that you are coming to hunt Sledgehammer, there are several caches in that area that range from really easy, cheesy micro to devilishly difficult traditional. One thing I can say for our area, the terrains and difficulty ratings are dead on.

Edited by Monkeybrad

It's a Forum tradition to fuss about Nashville's caches. We just plain have a lot of caches. Regardless of your taste, not every one of them will be your favorite. If you know what you like - and what you don't - and do a little planning up front it's entirely possible to hit some great stuff here.

Spend some time planning; with nearly 2000 caches in this 1/3 of the state, you're unlikely to hit them all. If you detest urban caches, avoid the 5 mile circle that has 190 in it. If you dig ammo boxes and 3-mile hikes in the woods, don't look at the steps of the state capital. If you crave micros that I'll promise you haven't seen elsewhere, drive right past Old Hickory Lake. The list that Monkeybrad cited is a good starting place.

Describe what's "cool" to you (here or on http://forums.mtgc.org ) and perhaps we can offer more recommendations.

There are lots of quality traditionals in Nashville, as well as lots of micros. A good place to start is http://www.mtgc.org/hits/ It is a list of Nashville's Greatest Hits as compiled by members of the Middle Tennessee Geocaching Club. It categorizes many different types of cache and presents the bests of each category. I am flattered that you are coming to hunt Sledgehammer, there are several caches in that area that range from really easy, cheesy micro to devilishly difficult traditional. One thing I can say for our area, the terrains and difficulty ratings are dead on.

I'll be back in Nashville, probably this year - does anyone have a PQ of this list? Also, does anyone have these on a map??

Thanks, AJK

since there are so many and such an outrageous variety...approximately where are you staying? where in the world is in a beautiful cemetary... along with several other caches (5, at least) in the immediate area. downtown, the ones around the bridges are awesome as well as "going gibson" (very near interstate)...there are several, several in the down town area. jogps's multi takes you so some interesting sites including music row. bug juice of mossy field (a ways out) is indeed a beautiful walk with a park fee except on wednesday) the traditionals are scattered all around nashville proper (which is why i asked which side of town are you sleeping on). we have a web cam cache near downtown. we have some that tax your mind. you know, the kind you need a "phone a friend" for...some (but not all) have the words "geo mojo" in their title.

we're so happy to have you. come and enjoy.

I'll be back in Nashville, probably this year - does anyone have a PQ of [the hits list] ? Also, does anyone have these on a map??

No, I don't publish them on a map becuase we don't exclude MOCs. Additionally, publishing them as a PQ would violate the redistribution clause in the agreement that we all agreed to...

No, I don't publish them on a map becuase we don't exclude MOCs. Additionally, publishing them as a PQ would violate the redistribution clause in the agreement that we all agreed to...

Valid point for the PQs, but it would be great to see these on a zoomed out map, where identification of precise cache location would be near impossible.

Anyway, I look forward to doing some of them when I'm back that way (weather in December/January time??)

AJK

I'll admit I've waffled on including maps on the MTGC site. I do it sometimes. I should have thrown in two more reason: other than "grab bag" , I can't think of a way to present them that makes sense since I really don't think that any one - esp. out-of-towners, and these aren't actually built from a PQ, they're compiled by hand and I didn't want to cut-n-paste the coords onto the site (where I then introduce an increased security problem since I'd then have the oh-so-valuable coords of MOCs on the site) even if only for a bit.

You're free to think those reasons are weak or excuses. Maybe they are and I'm just a lazy bum, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :-)

TN weather is random that time of year. I know one year I mowed my yard on Christmas day wearing shorts. I know a couple of years after that, we had a rare multi-inch snow. So check weather.com before you pack.

just want to say "hey" cos I am a n00b Nashville-area gc! :D

I live in Smyrna, and have practiced on a few down here, but look forward to getting out to some of those on that mtgc list up in town, as well as some of the great-sounding ones over in Franklin. Looking mainly for ones in cemeteries(duh, eh?!), mainly because I either *know* the area already or perhaps have been looking for a good excuse to *go* to that cemetery! (for instance, "David and Goliath redone"-I've been wanting to go to that cemetery, I just needed a good excuse to park along the freeway onramp and get out and climb!!!)

So, just saying "hey"(again) and letting ya know there's a n00b out here hunting! (and if anyone can suggest really good cemetery hunts in the area, I'd be reaaaally happy!) :)

btw-just so y'all know, I'm not a morbid freak or something, I am photographing all the cemeteries in Rutherford County for the GenWeb site, and I sometimes venture over into surrounding counties for the historical value, and do alot of research on some of the oldest graves in the area. B)

thanks sis! I don't get up to Nashville as often as I would like, but this is a great excuse now! I have printed out all the info for all of the RIP series that isn't too far from me, as well as the other ones you mentioned. I've spent alot of time in Mt Olivet, so that will be fun to go back to find some caches there.

My kid and I did a small run around the Franklin area yesterday, and found one of the RIP series there. We sort of have to limit it to easy terrain since I am dragging a 5yr old around. She loves doing it, but gets bored very easily!! Not to mention not wanting to walk very far and stop and look under every pile of rocks, even though I try to tell her there won't be anything there!! :blink:

Now if I could just find one of those Praetorian Guards, they are driving me crazy!! :lol: