What Would You Do For A Klondike Bar?

I'm a landscape architect and have access to a very small company that makes artificial boulders for landscape applications. I've contacted him and have sett up a meeting next week to discuss possibly making an inexpensive boulder that we could use for geocaching. My initial concern, and I know this has been mentioned in the past, is that these can become cost prohibitive. But I think that this guy is small enough that I might be able to work something out. My initial idea would be to have a natural style boulder that is airtight and waterproof with a 4"x4"x4" cavity in order to hold your cache. This will probaby keep the boulder small in the 8"x8"x8" range with a little room for variation. Two questions, is this something that you as a cacher would be interested in purchasing and if so, what would you reasonably and realistically be willing to pay for such an item like I mentioned. If this works, then we'll look at other sizes. Also, I think that if you find an area you are interested in hiding a cache in that has a few boulders, we might even be able to offer you a custome boulder that would blend in with your outcropping if you send us a picture. What do you all think? Thanks.

I have been dreaming of getting a hold of an artificial bolder for some time now. I have imagined them being quite a bit larger than 8x8x8 as the typical landscape boulders around here are more in the range of 18" than 8". And, 18" would be enough room for a good sized ammo can or the like. Forget trying to make the boulders waterproof. Keep them inexpensive. Just have them hollow with an opening on one end so that we can place our caches into them. I have no money right now, so I couldn't pay much of anything. But as my employment picture changes, I'm sure my finances will also.

Please, keep us posted on this one.

Okay. I'll keep that in mind regarding the size and other features. Most artificial boulders are an empty hollow shell with no bottom. This would work fine for placing your cache underneath if you guys would be more interested in something like that. It would also keep the cost way down. The only drawback, is the boulder might grow legs if you know what I mean. But I like your ideas!

We're meeting next week to discuss the price.

HoundGrrls: Similar to that, but this is a little different in that this guy makes them custom and in any size. I've seen some that were over 6' tall that look real. He can match just about anything. It's incredible. Most of them are hollow, but I briefly mentioned the possibility of making them solid with a hatch of some kind and he was positive he could make something like that. But it sounds like we may look at the hollow option if it keeps the price down.

Quick question-

If he is able to make fake rocks, would creating fake logs be much harder?

The round shape of a log might help make for an easy end-access -

flip open, or ???

Unless its just fake rocks people are interested in - this might open it up to more regions, etc-

I'm a landscape contractor here in San Diego, California. I've had some experience with 'fake' rocks too.

Artificial rocks need to blend in with the native rocks in the area. No sense having a black/white speckled granite rock mixed in with some red Arizona sandstone. The construction of most fake rocks makes them dang heavy. All of ours in this picture were made in place, have 3+ inches of concrete over them and were painted on site. Ultimately I think you won't be rewarded for all of your hard work.

waterfl_slide_small.jpg

I suppose I'm a tough critic but anything other that the real thing looks, well, fake. I like the camo approach of using real materials over man made containers. I have a bark-o-flauge sewer pipe that absolutely looks like a log. I suppose its because the bark came from a similarly sized willow tree and its glued over the pipe.

Just my .02.

Quick question-

If he is able to make fake rocks, would creating fake logs be much harder?

The round shape of a log might help make for an easy end-access -

flip open, or ???

Unless its just fake rocks people are interested in - this might open it up to more regions, etc-

Logs will be just as easy as rocks...Probably easier as Dan-oh pointed out, rocks have to blend. But I did check with him today and he can match any surface/color amazingly well. Our first prototype will be one that an ammo can can fit underneath. As for weight, as these are not made of concrete, they are much lighter, but very durable.

Puzzler: That's almost exactly what we are thinking about, only smaller so an ammo can will fit under and more realistic looking.

:o *** Moderator Alert *** :)

Be aware that you are basically trying to use this forum to solicit business.

From the Forum Guidelines page:

Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion.

So far you have not posted web sites or prices and things like that. To do this you will need to send a message to the contact address and obtain permission to do so. Getting opinions from the forum readers is OK, but you are getting close to going over the line.

I just wanted to give you a little friendly warning before you went over it.

We wouldn't be having this discussion, possibly, if Grounspeak would carry the fake rocks still, although even theirs look fake after a while. They blended in fairly well, but after a while, the ones from the GC store start to turn a bit green. I once found a cache in one of those on the sheer luck that it had turned color. Otherwise, I would never have found it!

And those were plastic and boy were they heavy.

I have no money to buy fake rocks with right now (I can't even afford an ammo can) but I think that price would depend on what materials and size, etc...

I would fully expect to hide a peanut butter jar for around $10, give or take a little. Big enough to hide an ammo can for under $20. (Although, there's a website you can buy $2 ammo cans from, and if this guy was smart he'd put the ammo can in there and then charge $20)