Abandon Train Tunnel In De

Talio

So I'm new to the game. Sunday was my first search and find, yesterday was my second attempt. I say attempt because I gave a terrain 3 multicache a shot and am pretty sure I got some of the numbers on the clues wrong. However, it will still a quite exciting adventure.

This park is set up with a large open area and a wooded rock hill, that goes down about 200 feet. There are paths thankfully, because bushwhacking would require climbing this slope. So after getting a little bit lost (due to the fact my Vista wasn't getting great reception) we found the first clue. Then the next clue eluded to stairs in a tower. Well in the middle of this park is one of the oldest towers and the highest point in the city (on top of the 200 foot rock wall, and then an extra 150 on that). So I didn't even put the coordinates into the tracker, because I thought for sure I knew what the clue meant. So we went and found what we needed to find about the tower, and went onto the third. It was the same clue. Eluding to a tower, that I assumed we were at. So that would mean there are two towers. Well I've spent a lot of time in this park and I knew there wasn't another tower. So I put the coords in my tracker, and found out we were sitting at the coords for clue 3. So that means for the second clue, there was another tower. I put in the coords for that and sure enough it's a quater mile off. So we went down the rock wall and found an old set of abandon rail road tracks. As I'm looking at the tracker, it points me down the wall again. I look down, and find the third clue. So I bushwhack down there very slowly and get the third clue. I use the clues and find the coords for the cash. It takes me down another path that was at the bottom of the wall.

We ended up at a road. I've never been so lost and know exactly where I was at the same time...it's an interesting feeling. But we walked down the road and I realized we were well out of the park. So we turn to go back, when we're back on the path, I look up and there is an old train tressel over the road. Remembering that we were on an abandon rail road line, I climbed the wall to get to the tressel. Thats when things started getting interesting.

As I was climbing I began to slip...It was really steep and I'm a big guy with the ankles of a 10 year old. I thought I was going down, when I saw a rope. Obviously I am not the first to attempt this climb. So I grab the rope and climb to the top. Bingo, rail line. The tracker is clearly pointing accross the tressel. I was not keen about this. I'm 6' 6" and 300 lbs. This seemed really dangerous to go across the tressel. It was one of those cases where I didn't want to do, but I knew I was going to anyway, so I just did it. I got across, walked about 80 feet and came to the mouth of an enormous abandon train tunnel. Again, it was really dark, I had no light, it was hard to see the other side, it was old, my tracker was clearly pointing me inside, and I knew I was going to go in, so I did. Well this was a mistake. I came to the other side and was in someones back yard...More importantly so where to gaurd dogs. I ran for my life through that tunnel, got to the other side, and quickly climbed the face of the wall back to the top where the tower is.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I had the coords wrong...didn't find the cache, but had an interesting day. This cache was hard...I'm going to stick to some easier ones for the time being, but I still enjoyed myself.

Talio.

Yep, DNF, posted about it. I was looking at some of the pictures today and it didn't look a thing like where I was at. I'll try again. I had another slip past me today, but I needed a compass. Got caught...met a guy who wanted to know what I was doing, I explained it to him and he said it would be fun to do it with his kids and he'll probably buy a tracker. I gave him the URL.

Talio.

I thought that too, but A. I'm not sure how active the area is. There weren't any beer bottles (oddly), so I'm guessing it's not, but I'd hate to send someone into that god forsaken place to find the cache missing. B. From what little I could see, there weren't any good places to hide it, maybe a micro. C. I would hate to have a poor cacher go to far to meet those gaurd dogs and meet a different fate then myself. I would never be able to live it down. Finally D. I don't really want to go down and back up that wall everytime I want to check up on it. I barely want to go back and find the current cache...but we'll see, I'm sitting on three finds...figure I should give it some time before I go hiding caches. Hope you enjoyed the story,

Talio.