Finally Bought My Gps! Magellan Meridian Gold

Midnight Rider

I paid right at $199 for it and took it out to play with it tonight. Im very pleased so far. I wasnt even considering this model as I was sure I was "sold" on the eTrex Legend series. Of course, the store was out of all of these and I thought what the heck, lets look at the Magellan.

My only complaint is that I have to buy mapping software separately. :-((

$150 for a disk, 90% of which Ill never use is a bit steep.

Anyone have any information on being able to download just Texas?

Thanks!

Yeah I know what you mean. Ive figured out most of it just playing around, but I might actually read the manual today too! If you are interested in getting the cigarette lighter power cord for your car, I can suggest the following site for a good price. I just bought it a few minutes ago.

For $11.95 (less shipping) its not a bad price.

http://store.getagps.com/magexpowcabw1.html

Im finding that Magellan is really proud of their product and accessories LOL! Im off to Radio Shack or Pep Boys to buy a cell phone holder for the car so I dont have to wedge the GPSr between the dash and the windshield. :-)

I've bought the DirectRoute software with my Meridian Gold, paid 95$ + shipping on the net for the software (www.compuplus.com). It works fine when you do not know the area. However, if you know the best way to from A to B, you will notice that it will not chose the easiest, the fastest, and the shortest route. It is actually take the longest and slowest, as far as I could see until now. But, it will get you there, which is good in unknown territory.

I do NOT recommend using another GPS, cell phone or other mount than one of the 2 models Magellan sells for this GPS if you want to use the external power with cigarette adaptor. The external power/data cord as to be screwed on the back of the GPS as you have noticed. When you use one of their mount, the electrical contact is locked in the mount itself, so you do not have to screw it on and off all the time, which is well worth the expense of the Meridian specific mount, trust me! I use the “stick on windshield” mount with the data/power cord. I managed to lock the cord in my dashboard and hid the voltage reducer and data port under the steering wheel, it works perfectly.

Edited by geotrouvetout

Welcome to the wacky worlds of Caching in Texas.

Because of the way that the mapping software is set up, you will not be able to load just Texas. There will be some “bleed over” into neighboring states.

The Magellan FAQ covers the “how to” of downloading larger map regions by using a SD card reader/writer and renaming the files as you download. One negative of loading a LARGE region of any map, is slower refresh rates on the GPSr.

Here are a couple resources for you.

Robert Lipe's collection of GPS-related technology pages.

Yahoo Magellan-Meridian user group

Yahoo Group; SATXgeocachers · San Antonio, TX Geocaching

Texas Geocaching Association

I have bee using my Meridian gold for over a year, I also use Direct route software while driven and loaded all of Ca. onto my chip. as you find more and more geocaches, you find yourself driving further from home, so having all of Texas may not be all that bad. Shop online and you will find a better price on Direct route (Do not get direct route confused with Map send street and destinations, they are not the same product)

If you want TOPO software that is going to cost you more again.

I did not like Topo from the screen shots I've seen and read from people who use it that it is not that great. I use a 256 MB SD (with reader/writer) card with mine but you can indeed only load a map of 64Mb, which is already a pretty large area. For a large region (like Texas) you just need to design the zones on your software, slightly overlap them and download them one after the other. It works fine except that it takes for ever to compute the map and load it, but that's maybe because of my old P3 500Mhz computer. The only bad point is that you can't travel though the different maps you have loaded. Once you arrive at the border of a map, you need to select the next one to continue (in the database menu of the GPSr), but we are talking several hundreds of miles zones so it is not that bad.

I did not like Topo from the screen shots I've seen and read from people who use it that it is not that great. I use a 256 MB SD (with reader/writer) card with mine but you can indeed only load a map of 64Mb, which is already a pretty large area. For a large region (like Texas) you just need to design the zones on your software, slightly overlap them and download them one after the other. It works fine except that it takes for ever to compute the map and load it, but that's maybe because of my old P3 500Mhz computer. The only bad point is that you can't travel though the different maps you have loaded. Once you arrive at the border of a map, you need to select the next one to continue (in the database menu of the GPSr), but we are talking several hundreds of miles zones so it is not that bad.

The 64mb restriction is not accurate, you can read the FAQ and see how to blow it away.

Edited by Cherokeecacher
The 64mb restriction is not accurate, you can read the FAQ and see how to blow it away.

Here is what Magellan told me:

because of a limitation in most of the MapSend software, you can load up to 4 regions (16 Mb each), for a total of 64Mb at a time. Advanced users can go around the issue at their own risk. You can visit our website for Tips and Tricks on how to load more image files on larger SD cards. http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/prod...directroute.asp

If you want to use a 128Mb; 256Mb; or 512Mb memory card, you will need to have a card reader (this is a external device about the size of a mouse, that allows you direct access to the card so that you can change or edit the files on the card). You will also need to have at least software version 5 on your receiver (to check the software version on your receiver - Press MENU; use the UP ARROW one time to About; Press ENTER; you will see the software version). If you do not have at least v5, you will need to go to our website http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/ and download a newer version.

----------

When I tried to select and load a larger region than 64 megs, the software gave me an error msg indicating the limit of 64 megs per zone.

If you know the way around it, I'd love to share that secret with you.

I just got the meridian gold as well, and I am very pleased with it. Anyone have any idea why they include a wrist strap in the box with the gps, considering there is no place to attach it to on the gps? Also which of the different map sofwares that you can buy for it seem to be the most useful? (I too live in Texas and would love to have more detailed maps)

Thanks! :lol:

I just got the meridian gold as well, and I am very pleased with it. Anyone have any idea why they include a wrist strap in the box with the gps, considering there is no place to attach it to on the gps? Also which of the different map sofwares that you can buy for it seem to be the most useful? (I too live in Texas and would love to have more detailed maps)

Thanks! :lol:

Um, mine has this little screw attached to the wrist strap that screws into the hole in the back where the computer cable or cigarette lighter cable would screw in. Sounds like you're missing a piece of the puzzle.

:lol:

Thanks! :D

Once again I have the pleasure of welcoming a new Texas cacher to the madness. :lol: Twice in one day, and in the same thread even. Wow, with all these new cachers, we are going to need a bigger state to handle all the caches. :D

1) The wrist strap is designed (poorly) to attach to the back of the unit. You should find a small screw that will fit the threads on the back. Yup, that is really the place they want you to attach the wrist strap...I did say poorly didn't I?

2) Mapping software is a personal preference. Kind of like cars and sports teams. LOL

Look at my first post in this thread and you will find some cool resources and add

yahoo Group - CentralTexasGeocachers · Central Texas Geocachers

And click on over to Texas Geocaching and join us for some fun :lol:

Thanks!  :lol:

Once again I have the pleasure of welcoming a new Texas cacher to the madness. :D Twice in one day, and in the same thread even. Wow, with all these new cachers, we are going to need a bigger state to handle all the caches. :lol:

1) The wrist strap is designed (poorly) to attach to the back of the unit. You should find a small screw that will fit the threads on the back. Yup, that is really the place they want you to attach the wrist strap...I did say poorly didn't I?

2) Mapping software is a personal preference. Kind of like cars and sports teams. LOL

Look at my first post in this thread and you will find some cool resources and add

yahoo Group - CentralTexasGeocachers · Central Texas Geocachers

And click on over to Texas Geocaching and join us for some fun :D

weird, my 'wrist strap' doesn't have a screw on it at all, think they must have put the wrong one in my package grrrrr! One end is a wrist loop, and the other is just a smaller loop to put thru somewhere that doesnt exist on the gps hehe. I guess that's why I couldn't figure it out. You think it's useful at all to have? Should I bother to contact magellan and ask them to send me the correct one?

I do NOT recommend using another GPS, cell phone or other mount than one of the 2 models Magellan sells for this GPS if you want to use the external power with cigarette adaptor. The external power/data cord as to be screwed on the back of the GPS as you have noticed. When you use one of their mount, the electrical contact is locked in the mount itself, so you do not have to screw it on and off all the time, which is well worth the expense of the Meridian specific mount, trust me! I use the “stick on windshield” mount with the data/power cord. I managed to lock the cord in my dashboard and hid the voltage reducer and data port under the steering wheel, it works perfectly.

Actually, if you want to work with a bit of modification, you can end up with something similar to what I have in my Jeep. I use a bicycle mount Magellan GPS Cradle with a RAM mount flex arm assembly. I don't trust mounting anything on a dash, and I like the flexibility of being able to bring the GPS closer in sometimes. It also allows for a navigator to manage the GPS and still keep it relatively hands-free.

IMAGE086.JPG

IMAGE092.JPG

IMAGE090.JPG

I use a bicycle mount Magellan GPS Cradle with a RAM mount flex arm assembly.

That's almost what I am saying; you are using a Magellan (bike) mount cradle on which you can lock the electrical bloc. It's not car specific but can be adapted indeed. I am actually thinking of using the bike cradle as well on my kayak with PVC tubes. My point was warning about not using one of the Magellan mounts; or one of the base "plates" as they are the same for all their systems. With your adaptation you don't have to screw and unscrew the electrical bloc all the time, it stays there, which is what you won't get if just using a regular cell phone mount like it was mentioned on this forum before.

I tried really hard to find something I could jerry rig. No luck :-(

Im probably going to just purchase the one that I can suction cup to the windshield. I have a Ford Ranger and Ive just been wedging it between the windshield and the dash :-). Its great until you take a turn or hit a good bump LOL!

make sure your windows are rolled up :P do not ask why I am saying this :huh: