Multi's - Brain Boggler For This Newbie

cropcircl

Multicaches range widely in scope. I have one that's two regular caches with the coordinates for the second inside the first one. Normal. I have one where you pick up three numbers twice and do the math for parking, and for cache. I'm avoiding one which is a 9-stage multi. On the right day, I might do it - in two or three years. Pick the ones you want.

There are several variations in mulit's -

In a simple multi, you find the first stage which has the waypoints for the next stage, and on to the end. You can either enter the wpt into the gps as a goto or write it down and just watch the numbers on the gps until they 'zero out' in the cache area - that is they match what you wrote down. The intermediate stages (before the main cache) typically don't have a log - it may just be a card on a string down a pipe that tells you where to go next. With the 'simple' multi described here, you are usually only finding wpts to the next stage - no log - no find - just one log/find and maybe swag (depends on the size) at the end cache.

The Guide Lines define a mulit thusly -

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches.  The most common is that in which the first cache or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location.  Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position. Please provide the coordinates of all waypoints in the “note to reviewer” section of the cache report form when submitting a multi-cache. The reviewer will delete the text prior to approval.

Offset Caches

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches.  They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type.  They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers NEVER deface public or private property).  The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

Some multi's require doing some puzzle. Some puzzles are not easy. A simple puzzle might be that you have to find a date on a plaque or a number on a lamp post and do a little math to arrive at the wpt for the next stage.

The hard part is finding the stages - but that is the idea - in multi's you have to find multiple different caches.

The first stages of a lot of mulit's are frequently micro's. Micro's are hard to find because they are so small. This might be the reason that you could not find your cache. It might be that you are not looking for a container at all, but something like I mentioned - a laminated card, or an object that is in a fountain or watering tank, they might even be objects in plain sight as described in the quote above.

Another variation on a multi is that you have to find a series of regular caches, log, swag and all. Here you take a piece of the main wpt and put them all together to find the main cache. These series give you the change to do one at a time to at your own pace, log several.

hope this helps -

They are all different, link the one you need help with. Mostly everything you need to know about it is on the cache page. Sometimes it's a container hidden with the coords to the next spot, but I have seen stamped pieces of metal nailed behind a sign, sharpie pen coords written on a post, it could be as simple as a magnet, it's all how clever the hider can be. No two caches are exactly alike. The number of stages can vary, so can the kinds of containers that they use.

I had a mental block on multis when I first started. I would never even find the first stage. Reading the logs helps a lot, sometimes you'll pick up a hint or 2. Sometimes stage one has been as obvious as the coords being written on a rock the size of my head, with a black magic marker and I still have to make 2 trips to get it. I'm guilty of trying to overthink multis especially because I form a mental association in my head with them being difficult. Think about it like this: all you have to see are numbers and they could be written anywhere.

Hope that helps

Spiritnip

Edited by Spiritnip
Some multi's require doing some puzzle.  Some puzzles are not easy. 

I’m sure this isn’t the appropriate place for this, but I simply haven’t been able to figure out why some caches that require solving a puzzle are puzzle caches and others are offset caches. <_<

Then I see puzzle caches that seem to have no puzzle involved at all. :lol:

I’m sure this isn’t the appropriate place for this, but I simply haven’t been able to figure out why some caches that require solving a puzzle are puzzle caches and others are offset caches.

I think it's just up to the cache owner. There are no strict guidelines as to what your cache should be labeled.

I simply haven’t been able to figure out why some caches that require solving a puzzle are puzzle caches and others are offset caches.

I think it's just up to the cache owner. There are no strict guidelines as to what your cache should be labeled.

What's the approver's job?

The approver's job is to insure that the cache meets the guidelines. Period.

Actually part of thier jopb is to ensure that caches are labeled correctly.

Jeremy himself was recently caching in my area and noticed a multi that should have been listed as a puzzle cache - he changed it himself when he got back.

Approvers do thier best to make sure that the entire cache listing is correct and that includes the classification.

B)

I'm guilty of trying to overthink multis especially because I form a mental association in my head with them being difficult. Think about it like this: all you have to see are numbers and they could be written anywhere.

Too bad i saw this after i finally got this multi that i was playin' with. B) This tends to be my problem as well. B)

This paticular WP ended up being a steel fishing line dangling(behind a pole) a fake lure with the WP2 stamped onto it. B)

B) I love the creativity that I have been encounteing on my hunts.

Thanks for the input all B)

Edited by cropcircl

I placed my first cache today, a multi. I received a response from the administrator that the first cache was approved, and the 2nd was archived. The first cache's coordinates are for the first cache. The first cache contains the coordinates for the 2nd cache.

I listed the first cache as a multi, and the 2nd as a traditional. Is that incorrect? If not, what is correct?

The 2nd cache's coordinates on the website are for the parking lot. You must find the first to get the coordinates for the 2nd.

Do multi's typically list more than one cache?

I'm beginning to feel like quite the newbie. Thanks. :blink::D

Edited by Cache us Clay