Can I Sue Magellan For Non-support?

Old Bet

:(Has anyone had success getting Magellan to respond to support inquiries posted

via the Magellan Web site? I've asked them a couple of simple questions, but have

yet to receive a response. (Most recently, I asked for the version number of the latest release of MapSend Topo. There are some online vendors selling it at an incredibly deep discount, and I suspect those may be outdated, or soon-to-be-outdated, versions.)

I too have found their customer support to be more than satisfactory. Recently, I found a thread here in regards to cracks in the cases of the Sportrack series. I e-mailed them, and have recieved not only e-mail replies, but also phone calls. I only have bulges in mine, but they assured me they are aware of the problem and that they would correct the problem if it becomes neccessary, free of charge, even though the unit is already out of warranty. Previously, I have found them to be just as responsive.

To me, customer service means everything! So far, so good.

I am interested in knowing about the Topo software and updates though. I must say that so far, I am less than impressed with the detail contained in this software!

Me? I just pick up the phone and call their 800# (800-707-9971 - I wrote it right in my user manual so it's handy)

They have always been exraordinarily fast and helpful. Truly rare in this age of otherwise "customer service, huh?".

I also have always used the old communications device called a phone, just call 8AM their time. I do not have the time to waite for an e-mail responce.

I have always gotten great support from Magellan, After 30+ years is retail and dealing with 100s of companies, Magellan has been the best.

I too have found their customer support to be more than satisfactory. Recently, I found a thread here in regards to cracks in the cases of the Sportrack series. I e-mailed them, and have recieved not only e-mail replies, but also phone calls. I only have bulges in mine, but they assured me they are aware of the problem and that they would correct the problem if it becomes neccessary, free of charge, even though the unit is already out of warranty. Previously, I have found them to be just as responsive.

To me, customer service means everything! So far, so good.

I am interested in knowing about the Topo software and updates though. I must say that so far, I am less than impressed with the detail contained in this software!

I saw a sample of thier new Topo software a few months ago at a trade show. they have some real nice new features they are working on.

Why don't they answer support queries?

You'd have to be able to prove damages due to the lack of a response. You'd be hard pressed to do so. And why is it some folks want to sue at the first perceived sign of a transgression? <_<

Even if you can sue them and win it would only hurt Magellan customers with increased prices. The best thing customers can do in this situation is to call and write to let them know that they are hurting there customers and that you are taking your business elsewhere. If enough people did this they would have to change the way their company does business due to loss of customers.

Why don't they answer support queries?

You'd have to be able to prove damages due to the lack of a response. You'd be hard pressed to do so. And why is it some folks want to sue at the first perceived sign of a transgression? :blink:

Even if you can sue them and win it would only hurt Magellan customers with increased prices. The best thing customers can do in this situation is to call and write to let them know that they are hurting there customers and that you are taking your business elsewhere. If enough people did this they would have to change the way their company does business due to loss of customers.

As a Purchasing Agent.........

If you read the Limited Warranty, there is no standard response time. While responding to customer complaints or problems is good practice, there is no law requiring them to answer questions.

Sorry......

Planemaker

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Magellan. It took about a 2 days for them to answer my first email to them about the cracks in my SporTrak Map's case. They responded with an apology and a Return Goods Authorization. They repaired my GPSr in about 4 days and FedEx'ed it back. It looked brand new, new case, lens and they loaded in new firmware too. They also included a new manual and a windshield mount, gratis!

As for the "boomerang" effect, I have experienced it with both the SporTrak Map and my spiffy new Garmin GPSMap 76CS, simultaneously, never been a problem though, just turned back and found the cache!

Me?  I just pick up the phone and call their 800# (800-707-9971 - I wrote it right in my user manual so it's handy)

They have always been exraordinarily fast and helpful.  Truly rare in this age of otherwise "customer service, huh?".

That's been my experience. I've called twice and both times it was like you said.

I can't complain, I just sent them my 4 year old Map330 that died when I tried to load another upgrade to v4.00 but the update failed. when I sent the unit in, in 5 days they had a brand spanking new Map330, a new case with strap and new 330 manual delivered to me... I got a brand new unit sent to me, that blows my mind and is unheard. I didnt and couldnt ask more of Magellan.

I can't complain, I just sent them my 4 year old Map330 that died when I tried to load another upgrade to v4.00 but the update failed. when I sent the unit in, in 5 days they had a brand spanking new Map330, a new case with strap and new 330 manual delivered to me... I got a brand new unit sent to me, that blows my mind and is unheard of. I didnt and couldnt ask more of Magellan.