New To Geocaching

clairese

I agree with RK.

I started off caching with a Dell Axim X30 Hi (wifi/bluetooth) about two months ago. I used it in conjunction with a Delorme Earthmate w/ bluetooth cradle. While it worked OK, I guess, it's nothing compared to using my new Legend C w/ City Select maps.

The primary issue I had w/ the X30/Earthmate combo was the lack of bearing and/or distance provided by any included software. I'm sure I could have something to give me that kind of info, but the possibility of dropping either device, and my growing interest in caching lead me to go with a dedicated GPSr. I'm definitely not sorry I did.

I now use the X30 wiith GPXSonar. I drop the .gpx files I get via pocket queries onto the unit, and I have a perfect paperless caching experience. I download the waypoints to the Legend C with GSAK and also export them from GSAK into MS Streets and Trips to plot maps and routes. Works pretty well!!

I'll make you a deal on the Earthmate if you're interested, though! :)

I use an older IPAQ 3670 running PocketPC 2002. It works great with a Transplant GPS CF that plugs into the sleeve. You will want to try out the following programs:

1. GPx Sonar -- uses the GPX Pocket Queries to bring the information with you. No more paper. You can log your entries for later reference when you are back online.

2. GPS Tuner -- uses that GPSr CF and also reads the GPX file to plot the caches relative to your current location. Does have a digital compass (must be moving at a fast steady walk) and other great tools.

3. Mapopolis -- also uses the GPSr CF to help you navigate from a distance away to your destination.

However, you will need to buy a sleeve with extra battaries or a way to charge it up while in the car. The combo will burn though a charge (although I spent nearly three hours wandering around Toronto last spring without shutting down or needing to re-charge).

Use the PPC in you car to auto-navigate to the cache area and for just getting around town. Mapopolis.com is a good program. You can try it for free for 9 days. Use the PPC also for paperless caching as described above and use a separate hand held unit in the woods.

I do this but I also take my PPC along in the woods. Just keep it under cover and protected until I need info about the cache but use my hand held for the most part to navigate in the woods.

good luck

Alan

Edited by Alan2
I want to get started...I have a dellx30 pocket pc hi end. But do not know what I should buy to get started. Any suggestions??? Thanks Claiese :P

Get a copy of GSAK for the PC, and GPXSonar for the Axim to let you do paperless caching, and become a geocaching.com member to get yourself custom queries. Pick up a $5 vent mount at Walmart or the like to dash-mount your GPS and go wild.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting a regular GPS unit rather than stuff for your Axim. A bottom of the line yellow eTrex, possibly a used one, is pretty cheap to get, and easily good enough for doing caching for a long, long time.

Eventually you'll probably want a mapping GPS. The eTrex Legend can be had for very little money, sometimes as low as $125 on the net if you look carefully.

I know folks who bought GPS add-ons for their Axim, and added car mounts and power cords etc. for voice directions etc. while travelling. Works well for them (real estate agents), but I never found a reason to go that far.

Use the PPC in you car to auto-navigate to the cache area and for just getting around town. Mapopolis.com is a good program. You can try it for free for 9 days. Use the PPC also for paperless caching as described above and use a separate hand held unit in the woods.

I do this but I also take my PPC along in the woods. Just keep it under cover and protected until I need info about the cache but use my hand held for the most part to navigate in the woods.

good luck

Alan

I think this this is by far the best mapping/routing software for Pocket PC:

http://www.pocketmap.com/navigator.html

I use an AmbiCom CF Card type gpsr with my iPaq 2215. I upgraded to the "R3" PocketMap Navigator software (the "R2" version came with the CF gpsr) for $30 on their website and the iPaq works wonderfully! The "3D" mode is fantastic! The voice directions are more advanced than my $1800 Garmin 2620! They're quite clear and include the street, exit, and whatever-else-have-you information for the turn you're coming upon. Much more vocal detail than the 2620; I think Garmin could've done a better job in that area.

I use CacheDragon for my .gpx files on my iPaq, but I still think that the combination of GPX Spinner and the Plucker offline web browser system works the best for viewing cache pages on my PalmOS devices. Add CacheMate and you've got a great PalmOS .gpx file solution!

My primary handhelds are the Garmin GPSmap 76CS and eTrex Vista Color gpsr's. Both of these units are tough, accurate, and easy on batteries. They have bright screens that just beg for sunlight! You don't need much light at all to see these highly reflective screens.

Their USB connectors also have a distinct advantage over their older predecessors. This comes to mind as the GPSmap 76C and CS have 115mb of on-board RAM, and that much data would take forever over the old serial connection.

Welcome to Geocaching!

Warm regards from,