Garmin Mapgps 60c

Garmin8

I have a Garmin MAPGPS 60C with Map Europe version 6 and everytime I do Geocachin I have to hand type in the co-ordinants I KNOW THAT ONE CANNOT use anything else with a Garmin 60c only their own products IS THIS TRUE? WILL IT BLOCK IT?? if I uses say some thign else to help me to download Geo co- ordiants...?

You can use Easy GPS to transfer co-ordinates to your GPS from your PC, you download the co-ords from this site as a loc file and put it straight into Easy GPS, this is just the basic co-ordinates. Alternativly take out a Premium membership, cost $30 for a year (about £17), you can then download a gpx file, this contains a the full cache page, open it in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) this wil dispaly the page and allows you to set filters on how you use the information, you can then send the cache details to your GPS. Both programs are free. But in my oppinion GSAK and pocket quiries (Premium Membership) is the way to go. But either way will transfer the co-ords to you GPS from your PC with no problems.

DAVE

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher
But Garmin say  to use  nothing else or it will lock  up etc etc etc

You can use GSAK to manage your waypoints then save it as a mapsource file. Then use mapsource (obviously) to upload the information. This is what I do since I am usually loading maps at the same time.

I've also been using easygps with my Garmins for quite some time. Works just fine.

There is even a section on their website "For advanced users desiring to develop their own custom software applications for communicating with Garmin® GPS products, this document describes the serial communication protocol required for transferring Waypoints, Routes, and Track Log information to and from Garmin GPS products"

This would mean to me that they allow third party software to interface with their GPSrs

Edited by Elf Danach
But Garmin say to use nothing else or it will lock up etc etc etc

Give exact qoute of what you have read and where you read it from.

AFAIK the restriction would only be limited to the source of the *maps* you can upload.

If you wanted to upload a new MAP , then that would be a map made and sourced from Garmin software. Magellan applies the same restriction, no third party or custom maps allowed, but even then it can be done with know methods stated on magellan user forums.

Restricting use of 3rd party software that for uploading/downloading tracks,waypoints, routes etc and et al would be fool hardy to say the least.

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE STATED AS COMPATIBLE WITH THE GARMIN 60C:

G7ToWin, Ozi Explorer, GARtrip, GPS Utility , EasyGPS , ExpertGPS

i've been using easy gps to download via usb into my 60c. no problems at all. have you actually tried? or are you wary due to what you've read? i can't see what problem you would get, i think it's just the maps that you've been reading about.

I have had the same issue.. I only see serial ports with Easy gps not USB.

How do you get it to communicate??

Lost.... B)

Murfster