Reaching into a dark hole

Spider Woman

I also think a flamethrower is a great thing...only in the rocky snake-infested areas tho. Of course we don't want to burn any land! :)

I agree with most, I carry a trekking pole from REI. it doubles as a trash picker-upper since I sharpened the end :) Plus if I see suspicious people I fling it around :) Like practicing the killer moves :)

Several of the caches I've found recently have involved reaching into a dark place and feeling around for the cache. <BR><BR>Now, I'm as daring and adventurous as the next guy, but I wonder about snakes, skunks, spiders, badgers...the kinds of wild life that love dark holes. <BR><BR>I don't normally wear gloves or carry a stick, but both seem like a good idea. What do people do to protect themselves?

I recommed that you ALWAYS carry a hiking stick. Given that almost all caches are located under leaves, branches, inside logs, etc....use you stick as a safe way to find and move the cache container.