How Fugawi Came By Its Moniker

AuntieWeasel

Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's physically possible to ask this question and stay within the forum guidelines, but here goes nuffink. I was demonstrating Fugawi for someone, who chortled and said, "from the old joke, no doubt." The what?

Has anyone else encountered the joke about the Fugawi tribe, who lived the tall grass and got their name from asking, "where the...?"

It simply has to derive from that, but what a very cheeky marketing concept. Am I the only one who didn't know this old joke?

Edit: spelling booboo

Edited by AuntieWeasel

I don't remember when I first heard that joke, but it was long before the time of GPS. I think it was when I was an aircrewman in the navy. There were a lot of times we refered to the person sitting in the NAV position as an indian, especially when he couldn't get a LORAN fix. :huh:

Cache Well

Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's physically possible to ask this question and stay within the forum guidelines, but here goes nuffink. I was demonstrating Fugawi for someone, who chortled and said, "from the old joke, no doubt." The what?

Has anyone else encountered the joke about the Fugawi tribe, who lived the tall grass and got their name from asking, "where the...?"

It simply has to derive from that, but what a very cheeky marketing concept. Am I the only one who didn't know this old joke?

Edit: spelling booboo

I heard it years ago -

long joke about how different Indian tribes got their names -

black feet etc. don't recall all the different ones now -

Fugawi Indians from being lost - climbing a tree - coming down and asking

where the Fugawi?

so I guess there are different versions running around -

I laughted my head off when I heard it and still smile about it -

even had a laugh when I heard of the software knowing that dealing with GPS and knowing exacty (?) where you are, the name was rather approriate if irreverent.

cheeky? maybe - but if it works?