I Hate Caching In My Town

planetrobert

no, i am NOT going to bash micros... I have finally figured it out.

This weekend i want caching to my east where i haven't really been before much. IT WAS GREAT. I even had a DNF on a micro in the woods that only slightly annoyed me, mostly cause the area had been trased by a previous seeker i think.

I, as of this post has 559 finds i would be willing to bet that 300+ of them were within 25miles.

I hate caching at home now. It is all the same here, been there done that. I like the different areas that have not been explored by me. Also finding real boxes helped tho.

When you get to hating certian cache types I think it just means you need a new area to cache in with different challenges and obstacles.

I think it is time for a well planned road trip...

Living in MN, St Paul specifically - I have PLENTY of opportunities to find a cache.

I won't say I "hate" my area, just enjoy others more.

Instead- I head for Wisconsin. I always find caching in WI, anywhere - to be refreshing escape from home. Why? 99% of it is being in the country- out of town-in the "wild". Caching in the cities, to me - just isnt nearly as much fun.

I can find any local park on a map- and have driven by most of them for many years. I often know the hide location just by looking at a gc map. Growing up around here, I freqeunted most of the areas now being used for cache placements. I just dont find any "thrill" or acheivment in seeking caches down the block from my moms house, at the corner by the lake, in the bushes behind a baseball feild. I know those areas already- I really like the outdoors much more- being in the "great outdoors" is whats its all about for me.

"Escape to Wisconsin" was a bumper sticker my parents has when I was growing up. Of course, the regular modification was to make it "escape to Sin"

In my mind, it never faded. I "escape to Sin" whenever I need the "therapy" of being away from the city, and all its trappings.

So I guess when I get bored with hiking thru the woods, or an Ice Age Trail, or seeing one of more than 50 waterfalls (or any of the other truly amazing sites in WI) I will do the reverse, and come home to "get my fix"

**A note - its only 66 miles from home to 2nd home- aka "the lake" so 1.25 hrs trips are nothing when the enjoyment is SO Great! (plus I do it regularly anyway, so.......)

Edited by Pto

I'm halfway through a 3 week business trip to the Waukasha WI area. Being from Idaho, suffice it to say I'm "out of town". I've been hitting caches fast and furious this last week. I found about 25 last weekend (finally hit the 300 mark) and have noticed quite a few differences from caches back home.

Urban ammocans were the most suprising, theres quite a few of them. Micro's are most often either pvc pipe or pill bottles, very few film cans or magged altoids tins. Not a single lightpole micro or decon box yet. Almost all travelbugs are in those half sized ziplock bags. Multi caches with puzzles abound.

I'd be willing to bet if I placed a decon box the locals would think it's a new twist, when it's old school back home. My point is, different is good. It brings a freshness the the game. I'll bring some of the "new/old" ideas I've seen here back home with me. Hopefully, my hometown locals will see a few new tricks in the process.

Of all of my finds, only about a couple hundred of them have been in my local area...since that's how many caches are in my area. Now that I've worn my hometown out, I have no choice but to visit other areas to keep finding caches.

Visiting different areas is great. I get to see new places, and I get to see the style of caches in the area (it seems the dominant cache hiders in a particular area all have their unique style). And I always take home at least a few ideas for hiding caches in my local area.

:lol:

"Familiarity breeds contempt" That's an extreem example, but you get the point. Its always nice to see and visit areas away from your immediate neighborhood. Its an adventure just to cross the boundry of the place you live and are so familiar with. There are new educational opportunities and new caches even though they may be, and probibly are, the same type caches you find at home. The important thing, I think, is that you don't burn out on the sport. Like you said, seeing different takes on hiding containers, whatever size they are, is refreshing. I went for my first urban cache a week ago and had to log a DNF, but I had a great time and I met another cacher. GRRRREAT!!!!! :lol::lol::huh::D

When you get to hating certian cache types I think it just means you need a new area to cache in with different challenges and obstacles.

Hear hear! When I have gone to other places and done an "it's under the rock" cache it makes a nice change, as most round here are "in the roots of the tree". I gather that those who live in rocky places enjoy trees for a spot of variety :lol:

My boss was teasing me about geocaching. He told me that the game was probably a big conspiracy by the oil companies to get you to drive around and use up gas. :lol:

I haven't cached outside of Michigan, but have noticed lots of differences between even the west side of the state and the burbs of Detroit. I'm glad that I live in Kalamazoo... lots of preserves and wooded areas.

I recently moved from a part of Kentucky with a couple hundred caches within 50 miles or so to a part of Washington with 50 caches within a couple hundred miles or so (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration). My town has a lot of old caches, but not too many new ones. I'm planning on hiding a few using some techniques and containers I saw in Kentucky but have not yet seen around here. Sometimes all a place needs is some new blood to liven things up. :lol: