Geocaching @ RIT

SCP-173

My son is a freshman engineering student at RIT.  When did the issue come out?  I email him to get me a copy...

Unless things have changed, I think issues come out every Friday (except during exam times, as the staff is made up of students).

Tell him to be sure to pick up an issue around April 1st. They always have a lot of fun then!

Does your son have his winter jacket ready? It's almost October already! :rolleyes:

Hope people don't mind, but since we are talking about our beloved RIT, I got this list around 1995, but I think a lot of it still applies, at least for us who were there:

Why Rochester isn't a bad place to live

"Waking up with the Wease" doesn't mean you have a respiratory infection.

The thought of eating a "garbage plate" makes your mouth water.

The only thing at the annual May Lilac Festival is snow.

The worst four-letter word you could say is "Fuji".

You can't swim at the beach.

You thought you figured out that alternate-parking thing, but wind up with a ticket anyway.

Toronto is about 70 miles away, but it takes about four hours to get there.

The name "Greater Rochester International Airport" is bigger than the airport itself.

There's an 800 number to report a pothole in the road.

City planners begin yet another feasibility study, in lieu of actually doing anything.

You know that a "Can of Worms" is not something you take fishing.

Your baby's first word is "Wegmans".

You ask lifetime residents where the George Eastman House is, but they don't know either.

In a city where it snows at least 90 inches a year, they build a new sports stadium with no roof on it.

Buildings with statues of guys with wings on the tops of them is not unusual to you.

It can be 70 degrees one day, below freezing the next, and you think nothing of it.

Your mother is buying outfits to wear to Wegmans.

You try to go out to dinner at 8:30 PM and everyone's already closed.

You hear that there's a "Dome Arena", but you're really disappointed once you see it.

They build a new store right in front of a vacant one of the same size.

Your low-fat diet is never low enough to exclude an Abbot's custard.

You order a white hot and a pop, and the counterman knows what you're talking about.

You can travel from Egypt to Greece in about a half hour by car.

D&C is a newspaper, not a medical procedure.

You can find a metered parking spot downtown at the height of the Christmas shopping season.

You can watch LPGA commercials in December.

There are no hamburgers, only ground steak There is meat in hot sauce.

You can accurately judge people as to their social status by determining which Wegmans store they shop at.

You can go to any mall on Saturday and see at least 5 people you either work with, went to school with or dated.

The new line of spring fashions to hit the stores is actually comprised of leftovers from the 1991 line in NYC.

A musical comes to town 10 years after its Broadway premiere and the entire town goes nuts! (ex. Miss Saigon)

You wake up from a deep sleep, look at the clock and see that it's 6:00 but you have no idea whether it's am or PM.

When 18+ inches of snow falls overnight, but you never thought of NOT going to work.

A snow storm advisory means you must go shop at Wegmans!

You are perplexed when friends from other cities come to visit and want to "see the sights."

A flagpole strung with white lights seems like an acceptable alternative to a municipal Christmas tree.

There is a different "festival" to go to every single weekend from May to September, but absolutely nothing happening the remainder of the year.

Any new construction project downtown that comprises over ten stories is worthy of a detailed front-page account in the newspaper.

The temperature hits 45 degrees and the sun comes out in any month between November and April, people walk around downtown wearing shades and no jackets.

You and the cat are peacefully napping in front of the TV set, with the volume at a comfortable level, and a Gabriele Ford commercial comes on at twice the decibel level, causing you to bolt upright and the cat to leave gouge marks in your lap.

There are places at the poles that seem to get more sunlight during the winter months than we do.

Wegmans is a somewhere to go on a Friday night, for entertainment.

We know who Vinnie and Angelo are.

You define summer as three months of bad sledding.

You think that people from Pennsylvania have an accent.

Halloween is snowed out with great regularity.

You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.

Your year has two seasons: Winter and Construction.

Half the change in your pocket is Canadian, eh.

Half the television channels you get are Canadian, eh.

You've talked about leaving for 10 years and you're still here, because despite all there is to poke fun at, Rochester isn't a bad place to live.

Does your son have his winter jacket ready? It's almost October already! 

He's been warned. I grew up in Rome NY, and went to Oswego in the late 70's (yeah, the big blizzard they're still talking about...BT,DT)

I am actually going to be at RIT this Saturday on a whirlwind "1300 miles in 48 hours" family event. (Maryland-RIT-Syracuse-Rome-Maryland) I'm going to try to get my son, a confirmed non-geocacher, to screen-shot the web cam cache for me, (he's studying Engineering and thinks I'm a geek???!!!) and if my wife is still in love with me after all those miles on Saturday afternoon, I might try to get Chilehead's "Vote!" cache... or I could just say I'm lost, pull out the old gps for "directional assistance" and say "Hey, there's a cache right over here... do you mind if I stop?"

I don't understand the whole 100 foot rope being so important thing, but it's a decent read.

Nice article... If I had to choose one item it would be bug spray in the summer and snow shoes for the other 50 weeks of the year! (J/K.. sorta) :rolleyes:

But if this guy has done alot of caches along the genesee river gorge area, rope may have come in handy for him. Orc'c Treasure is a great cache! If you haven't done it yet, give it a try! Just don't wait til its too cold out. B)