Planning First Hide

Dukie 'n' Dad

Planning a Cache. I have read the rules and all the 'how to' articles I could find, now I would like some opinions.

First, I do not intend to hide many as I feel that there should be a reason for the cache, not just because I can place one. Heck if that were the case, I'd never have to leave my property. So, I really want to be sure that each one i prepare, hide, and maintain is highly unique and worth the effort to find. Naturally this will not attract the "Number Baggers", but then again I'm placing this for those who share my sense of desire and seek unique experiences.

My location is going to be fairly remote in an area that few people visit. In fact, I do not go very often, but am in the area several times a year for other purposes, and can easily make a special trip with a few weeks notice. In fact, the 'hiding' of the Cache is scheduled for the middle of next month to be sure of plenty of time to get in, scout a great location at the site, and still have daylight to get out. In all, it is a 2 day affair for this trip to allow as much time as possible to both hide and gather coordinates.

I could just make this a 'Virtual' as one picture would easily get it approved, but what fun is that? (:wacko:)

Given the low traffic and infrequent visits likely, would such a hide likely be approved? (nearest cache is about 2 miles away, and then it is quite a few miles to the next one..)

My purpose of this cache will be to show people a very remarkable place that is all but unknown. (I have never seen a mention of it anywhere - and I have looked)

Given that, I plan on providing very little information as to how to get to the cache, sticking solely with how to stay off private land. I'd also like to avoid explaining what is so remarkable about the location just so that when people do make the effort, it can 'wow' them as it did me the first time i saw it. Just curious if a 'teaser' on a possible 4/4 cache would be viewed as a "challenge", or a "why bother"? I know that I have been drawn to the ones that 'intrigue' me, but then people call me wierd. (:wacko:)

Contents: The original Caches had some really cool stuff from the sound of the old logs. My own experience has been otherwise, finding pretty mundane items at best. I'm not a person of any exceptional means, so i will not be stocking 60cs units or copies of the best map software pre-loaded on pocket PCs, but was thinking of stocking with useful and reasonable outdoor items like good compasses, first aid kits, and the like. Perhaps Nalgene bottles filled with small camping supplies.

Yea, maybe I'll toss in a toy or too as well. (:()

So far, the common hide schemes I've seen is 'Cover it with natural materials so obviously out of place it screams "I'M HERE!". Or is that only true of people who KNOW the woods? I understand the 'no digging' rule, but if I use a natural hollow and then set 'proper' concealment, is it allowed?

It might not be possible to locate the cache directly at the "most incredible location I know of" as both occational visitors and weather extremes might compromise it. Any ideas for setting up an offset that does not require me to deface the location (and there is nothing there now to use for numeric purposes.) would be helpful.

Oh, and Dukie wants to know if it is OK to 'mark' the cache? I'll stick some hand sanitizer in there just in case....

I'd go for it, but then I have ;

a cache located 50 miles from the nearest town let alone another cache.

a cache located on one of the toughest offroad trails in N America.

a cache located on a remote section of the Pony Express Trail.

I placed caches in these areas because I enjoyed them and though others would to. I don't expect them to get a lot of visit's and they don't.

Maybe you could do both an actual and a virtual as sort of a multi. Hide the coords for the "most incredible location I know of" in the actual cache, so when they find it, it directs them to a scenic wonder. I would love a cache like that. The cache page can just say, "as a special reward, see coordinates in the cache" or something suitably obscure.

Or do separate caches, one actual and one virtual, so people who were "numbers" people would get to bag two finds for their effort (so long as they are .1 miles apart).

I wouldn't worry about how remote the cache is. You won't have your e-mail clogged up with lots of finds, but I bet the logs you get will be worth it.

You may need to convince your approver that you can maintain this cache, but that is the only concern I can think of. That and Dukie marking the cache . . . eeww.

B) I'm putting together my very first Geocache. And I've scoped out a small handful already and browsed the site to see what other people have put into theirs. So far, mine is enclosed in an ammo box which is about 1/2 the thickness of a standard 55 cal. ammo box.

Here are the contents so far; I would appreciate some feedback concerning the contents of the cache and/or some ideas for difficult vs. easy placement. Note that this cache, I belive, will start out with some pretty high-end items that so far to my knowledge aren't usually found in other caches.

* Notebook (every cache has this)

* 2 Pencils

* 128 MB digital camera memory card (dented, but still works)

* VHS copy of the X-Files Movie

* A 1" glass marble

* An old metal gear

* A Bob The Builder "Scoop" Toy

* A Ghostbusters II Pin

* A small (3" x 5") American Flag

You may think that I'm going overboard, of course, and there's a good chance that I am. But I just want my cache to be a huge reward to whomever finds it. But I need some advice here; do I make it a difficult find or an easy one? Obviously, if it is too easy, someone is likely to plunder it, while if it's too hard to find, nobody will ever visit it and therefore, I won't come back as often to add more goodies.

Please let me know what you think. I'm still looking for the ideal place to put it, and I'm also considering making it a members only cache based solely on the cost of the items and the amount of time I've put into making it. B)

I'm planning my first hide as well. I'm still deciding on whether I want a theme cache or just some good items to start and what the best place is to hide it that I'll be able to maintain going forward and will be worth the trip for the cacher.

For Rescue557 - I say the nicer the cache, the more difficult the hide. Too many muggles could stumble across it in an easy hide and plunder all the cool stuff.

for Dukie 'n' Dad - I like the idea of putting camping and hiking items. I got my brother in Colorado into caching and that is the only items he'll trade. B) Of course, just finding the cache is the best part, but it's always nice to trade useful items when you can...just got a Sponge Bob mini 1st aid kit on my last cache...well, I thought it was cool anyway. I also like the idea that Sputnik 57 had of doing a multi-cache with the coordinates to the best place ever in the first cache.

So what does everyone think of theme caches? Fun or a pain? I personally like them, but am interested to see what others think.

Knowing how approvers think, I believe the main issue with your planned cache will be the distance from your home. If the the cache is far from your normal geocaching grounds, they will look at it as a "vacation cache" and not approve it. You have to convince him that its not a vacation cache, but rather its an area that you frequent. If you have a number of finds in the area over a period of time, this would be one thing in your favor. That's the kind of thing the approver will look for.

Failing this, if you can get a local geocacher to sponsor your cache (meaning he promises to help maintain it), that would help your case.

It would be a good idea to run this past your approver before placing it. This way you won't make the effort to place the cache only to have it denied.

To address some of your other issues:

I could just make this a 'Virtual' as one picture would easily get it approved, but what fun is that

Don't be so certain. The most extraordaniry view on the planet wouldn't be approved. As they say in the guidelines, "A view is a view, but a view is not a virtual cache"

but was thinking of stocking with useful and reasonable outdoor items like good compasses, first aid kits, and the like. Perhaps Nalgene bottles filled with small camping supplies.

That sounds great

I understand the 'no digging' rule, but if I use a natural hollow and then set 'proper' concealment, is it allowed?

That would be fine.

It might not be possible to locate the cache directly at the "most incredible location I know of" as both occational visitors and weather extremes might compromise it. Any ideas for setting up an offset that does not require me to deface the location (and there is nothing there now to use for numeric purposes.) would be helpful.
  • You can place a micro at the location with the coordinates of the main cache..a waterproof match container wrapped in camo tape (they are usually orange) would hold up to mother nature quite well.
  • You can make a metal tag and stamp the coordinates, or the offset of the main cache on it and wire it to the branches of a tree near the location.
  • You can find an object at the location and have the person follow a compass bearing from that spot to the main cache. Something like "stand at the lone cedar tree and walk 150 paces at 260 degrees".
  • You can make it so the person has to pass the location on their way to the cache.

One more word of advice. For a remote cache like this, use a quality container like an ammo box. That way you won't have to worry as much about leaks and other problems. You don't want to have to take a trip out there because someone didn't snap the Tupperware lid on tight enough, or because a raccoon chewed through your Rubbermaid container.

Good luck!

Edited by briansnat

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I do have an ammo box. It is a Rocket Box that the entire lid comes off. Very good condition and fairly large. Have tested it for water seal and no leaks.

The 'picture' isn't just scenery, hard to explain without giving it away. However, I do not want a 'virtual, so that settles that.

Seriously, would a plate or a small sign affixed to a tree count as the first part of a Multi? I like the idea of a small plate.

The idea of leading someone past the desired location is good except that it is kind of the "end of the road" so to speak. No, the coords MUST be to the location, or very close. A micro at the location would be tough, but I think I can do somethig wih a nearby tree that won't cause any permanent damage.

How does one contact thier 'approver'?

I have used two different types of 'tags' for multiple caches as the Brain mentioned. If a micro is not possible - or not desirable - I don't always want a 'container' - I print out - or write on a card and 'laminitate' it with clear packaging tape, then tape a piece of fishing line to that - easy to drop it in a crack somewhere and tie it off. I have also used a business card magnet cut to about 3/4" wide (you can get several out of one magnet) print out the waypoints and using same tape seal it to the magnet strip. Most magnets come with peal off sticky on them for the bus. card. These are small and easy to hide on anything with iron in it.

I have also recently used a 5.5x5.5" by 1/4' thick metal can (think AOL mailing). I wrote the coords on the inside of the lid. Then I clued oak leaves on the lid and slid it under an oak tree next to the trail. This could be useful in flat areas with no metal and no place for a metal or plastic tag. Use your imagination and you should be able to come up with something - even a rock - if you find a flat one - print out the waypoints and then use clear epoxy or similar to glue it and seal it to the bottom of the rock. Gawd - that IS a mean one!

Contact someone with a cache in your area and ask for the link to your aprover's profile.

Please do not dammage a tree with nails or screws. Not sure what you mean by a plate ( I envision an eating plate ) but I don't think you would want something very obvious.

Edited by CompuCash

<tongue-in-cheek>

Here's how you get lots of visitors:

If it's two miles from the road, place a cache every 528 feet on the way there and make it a power caching trail! :laughing:

</tongue-in-cheek>

I'm all for caches like that. I find caches whenever I can, wherever I can...which usually turns out to be urban areas. But the true joy for me is often getting out in the middle of nowhere and discovering something completely new. The cache might not get as many visitors, but the long-winded logs expressing what a great trip it was will more than make it worthwhile...