Garmin Vista

lozsing

The screen on my Vista will blank out giving the appearance it shut off.

Thump it into the palm of your hand when it does this and see if it comes back. If if does, your unit suffers from the common loose connector problem.

Oh yes, if it actually did shut off, then it could be the common loose battery connector problem. Fun isn't it?

Edited by Elf Danach

Mine switches itself off from time to time - I suspected that it happened when it was knocked. Annoying but worked fine.

But now I have a new problem: horizontal lines appearing on the screen. Luckily it is still (11 days to go) under warranty and Garmin are telling me to send it into them. However, how can I possibly bear to be without it??

<<But now I have a new problem: horizontal lines appearing on the screen. Luckily it is still (11 days to go) under warranty and Garmin are telling me to send it into them. However, how can I possibly bear to be without it??>>

Irrespective of the warranty time, Garmin will almost certainly replace it if it cannot easily be fixed. If you are close to Garmin's give them a bell and take it in... I did this with a friend's GPS which had been bought abroad several years earlier and they swapped it for a brand new model in 15 minutes flat! Garmin service is truly amazing.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a 2nd GPS!

I did a little searching and here are a couple threads discussing the Vistas shutting off. Along with connector problems version 3.60 seems to fix some bug that can cause this. (Although I'm pretty sure the lines are a connector problem. Mine has been doing it for over a year now. I just whack it and continue caching.)

Thread 1

Thread 2

Have and "old" Emap which switches itself off for no reason and a very new 76CS which also does it. I thought it was the batteries and have tried various types but is seems totally random. Have just got a car adapter for the 76CS and it still turns itself off with "External power loss message". Dug out the Emap car adapter, which I haven't used for ages and guess what, it also does the "External power loss message" also.

I'm able to nip down to Romsey with both of the units so if I get any answers I will post them.

Firth of Forth, I was in Falkirk all last week, and if I had seen your post earlier I could have taken your unit back to Romsey as well!!

Nick

Glad to report good service from Garmin - they have replaced my Vista with a shiny new one and I received it a week after sending the faulty one to them. Just in time for the Water of Leith caching event this weekend! All my waypoints are in the new unit as well as maps of the whole of Europe.

My only quibble is that they neglected to send me the cord which attaches to it so that you can hang it around your neck.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Good to hear of good service.

I have just posted my venture away for repair, it is 2 years old and was displaying horizontal lines and the thumb click was getting tempermental. They have promised a turnaround of 10 days.

Incidentally the return address postcode has changed, see below. Same address, just a different postcode.

Garmin (Europe) ltd

Unit 5, The Quadrangle

Abbey Park Industrial Estate

ROMSEY

SO51 9DL

I'll let you know how I get on

I have just posted my venture away for repair, it is 2 years old and was displaying horizontal lines and the thumb click was getting tempermental. They have promised a turnaround of 10 days.

Oooh, that's what my Venture has started to do a bit lately too. It's about 15 months old. The horizontal lines go away if I tap the side of the unit a few times, and the thumb stick sometimes needs pressing in and pushing left once to resume normal operation....

That and the ruber gasket thing seems to be getting a bit loose near the top but that might just be me connecting and disconnecting the interface cable all the time :huh:

Will be interested to know how you get on with your repairs.

I have just got back my Vista after sending it off. 12 days they said and 12 days it was.

I had told them the rubber was coming off they said that they would send out a new rubber and glue. I told them that there were bars on the display so they said unfortunately then it would have to go back. No mention of when I bought it, no receipt required. As far as I can tell it’s a brand new unit although it says reconditioned on the packet. This is the second unit that has had this treatment. The first was my yellow etrax that had my weight land on it in salt water from a height of 6ft.

Good old Garmin I say.

No Charge,

AND they sent me another cord for it, which I did not send with it, as I never use the cord. :unsure:

Edited by The Spokes